3rd party M9 compact charger?

ymc226

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I like the chargers that have the prong built into the body without the need for a power cord similar to the Panasonic equivalent for the Leica Q while the Leica supplied one is the usual charger + cord.   The lack of power cord makes it much easier in several ways while traveling.

Does anyone have a source of a M9/M8/MM charger from a 3rd party that utilizes this design and which has worked well with Leica batteries?  How about this one

On my Fuji charger I remove the power cord and use the removable prong section from an iPad charger. Does that make sense.

5690821992_aa9324b091_z.jpg

Thanks Robert, 

That is a great solution.  I have several of those Apple prongs and will replace the cords on all of my chargers.  A simple and cheap solution.

Thanks Robert, 

That is a great solution.  I have several of those Apple prongs and will replace the cords on all of my chargers.  A simple and cheap solution.

These are also available on ebay at really low non-apple prices.

I used to use the Apple part, but then found 12 inch long power cords I like better. When I travel, I came across too many loose sockets that would not hold the weight on the charger/adapter and stay plugged in the wall. The short cord allows me flexibility to balance this. They are also minimal in size and complexity for packing.

• Like 2

This may also work as a smaller plug, with a short cord:  http://www.thinplug.com/

I was trying to find a smaller UK three-pin plug for my new laptop the other day and came across this.  Doesn't work for the laptop, which has a cloverleaf connection not a figure eight, but I guess this would work with the Leica charger if you need something that plugs into a UK three-pin socket.

Chazphoto

These universal chargers are Ok as an emergency solution but in the long term they damage the batteries:

1/ The 3rd pin is not used, and this is precisely the one that monitors battery health

2/ Using these on an M9 battery is so to say impossible due to the connectors layout, in a rush one may damage both the battery and charger.

3/ Components are of modest quality they do not last for long.

Do not rely on these if you are on a long trip... There are a few $15 chargers much more suited to the M9 batteries.