For four years I have waited for this day which has not come

M28

Does this thread go away when the M280 is launched or does it morph into the M300 speculation thread ?

What a great question!

What to do? What to do?

On the eve of September 30, Singapore time the Mods will take a much considered decision. It will be a difficult decision, that will no doubt cause them extreme angst, as they deliberate on whether a successor worthy of the legacy of the M has arisen from the ashes like a Phoenix rising. And if the Phoenix soars to great heights, no doubt they will lock this thread, satisfied that my 4 years of long wait, with the patience of a Tibetan monk, sealed in a cave for 4 years in silent meditation on the virtues of the M240, has been quenched. As the tears roll down my cheeks at the glorious new camera seen on images sent to my mobile phone by Jaap, that illuminate my dark cave, I will emerge from the cave, thin, ragged and very hungry as I head down to my local Macdonalds at the base of my mountain, order a double Big Mac with extra fries and a chocolate flavoured slurpy and then head into my local Leica dealer, slap down my gold Visa card on the counter and announce. "I have seen the future of photography, and it is beautiful" . Then I will order the new M with a lcd protector for an additional $3.99 and ask with a quivering voice.

"Has the legend of Sofort arisen? Where is the golden derrière that has invaded my dreams and caused my meditation to be disturbed?"

• Like 1

What a great question!

What to do? What to do?

On the eve of September 30, Singapore time the Mods will take a much considered decision. It will be a difficult decision, that will no doubt cause them extreme angst, as they deliberate on whether a successor worthy of the legacy of the M has arisen from the ashes like a Phoenix rising. And if the Phoenix soars to great heights, no doubt they will lock this thread, satisfied that my 4 years of long wait, with the patience of a Tibetan monk, sealed in a cave for 4 years in silent meditation on the virtues of the M240, has been quenched. As the tears roll down my cheeks at the glorious new camera seen on images sent to my mobile phone by Jaap, that illuminate my dark cave, I will emerge from the cave, thin, ragged and very hungry as I head down to my local Macdonalds at the base of my mountain, order a double Big Mac with extra fries and a chocolate flavoured slurpy and then head into my local Leica dealer, slap down my gold Visa card on the counter and announce. "I have seen the future of photography, and it is beautiful" . Then I will order the new M with a lcd protector for an additional $3.99 and ask with a quivering voice.

"Has the legend of Sofort arisen? Where is the golden derrière that has invaded my dreams and caused my meditation to be disturbed?"

Mate, you need to get out more!

If you want an M camera, there are a whole host of options - film, digital, a la carte, with all options, with some removed, LCDless, monochrome ...  What are you waiting for?  Holding out hope, apparently since the M(240) was released, that Leica will release the camera you want is beyond optimistic.  It's almost narcissistic!  Sure, there will be a new M one day.  Have a quick gander at the history of the M, and look at where digital is today and what Leica is releasing.  The new M will have some incremental improvements (EVF for sure), but do you really think it will be a huge change on what they currently offer?  The SL was the big new thing.  The next M will be pretty much the same old same old, only slightly better and most people will be very happy.

This is the way it works - Leica makes the M camera in the same form (look at the reaction to a mere 3mm increase in thickness), and effectively the same functionality.  The outrage over video has been such that Leica has released a version without video.  This is a tough crowd.  Leica isn't going to make the version of the M you're holding out for.  As Steve (Blitz) says, the M isn't and has never been a platform for huge innovation.  Sure, they made the M9 with a full frame sensor, but look at it - it's recognisable as a successor to the M3, and an M3 owner could easily pick it up and shoot with it with no instruction at all.

If you like the M, buy one.  Wait for the next one if you like (whenever it is announced, and whenever it is delivered), but I predict that if you do, your images will be no better than if you bought an M(240) tomorrow, and any functional improvements will be marginal.

Cheers

John

Edited by IkarusJohn
  • Like 5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What a great question!

What to do? What to do?

We'll not tell anybody outside of this forum, but please just tell us which kind of psychadelic sof release you are using :-) Edited by Giulio Zanni
  • Like 1

satisfied that my 4 years of long wait, with the patience of a Tibetan monk, sealed in a cave for 4 years in silent meditation

True story: an old associate of mine traveled far to ask a guru if one could climb the mountain of enlightenment and still be an asshole. The guru answered  "Yes, go home now."

Edited by pico
  • Like 9

True story: an old associate of mine traveled far to ask a guru if one could climb the mountain of enlightenment and still be an asshole. The guru answered  "Yes, go home now."

Dammn Pico are you angry at me because I ordered a Big Mac instead of the quarter pounder!

Geez I can imagine this scenario how funny! It could be used in a movie. Here in Australia there are many devotees of various Indian gurus, who travel regularily to India and hand over much of their lives and fortunes to these gurus in trying to patch up their empty souls unfulfilled by poor family life during childhood and life without solidarity and community That is prevalent In contemporary Australia.

Getting a Fuji medium format early next year. My M is awesome, but it's time for something new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Am on hold for the new Hasselblad which feels like a permanent on hold lately with the endless delays. The Fuji is tempting me. My M will always be with me though.

• Like 1

Only Paulus can answer that.

Depends......,

I little german boy, started to speak at the dinertable, saying: " Die Suppe ist kalt. " ( The soup is cold. )

Parents were flabbergasted and overjoyed, because the child was 12 year old and had never spoken a word in those years, leaving parents visiting all kind of docters.

The father asks the boy: " Heinrich, du kannst sprechen! Warum hast du nie gesprochen? ( You can read, why didn't you before? )

The boy replied:

" Bis jetzt war alles in Ordnung. " ...................( Untill now, everything was allright. )

• Like 5

Depends......,

I little german boy, started to speak at the dinertable, saying: " Die Suppe ist kalt. " ( The soup is cold. )

Parents were flabbergasted and overjoyed, because the child was 12 year old and had never spoken a word in those years, leaving parents visiting all kind of docters.

The father asks the boy: " Heinrich, du kannst sprechen! Warum hast du nie gesprochen? ( You can read, why didn't you before? )

The boy replied:

" Bis jetzt war alles in Ordnung. " ...................( Untill now, everything was allright. )

* translation error: You can read, must be " You can speak! "

• Like 2