film longevity run?

I have left the film for years, not as updated as all of you, I recently thinking to get back to film, and wondering if I should worry about the film supply from the manufacture? don't know if it is worth to reinvest the film body....

Thanks all

There is a lot of film choice out there now (and the more people joining or returning to the film ranks, the longer this is likely to be the case). Film lasts several years, especially if kept cool / frozen, so you can "future-proof" yourself to whatever extent you think suitable. You also (depending upon where you live), have options to develop (B&W / C41 / E6), or outsource.

Worry about being hit by a bus, or being hit by lightning, but I wouldn't worry about film ceasing to be available in the foreseeable future.

• Like 3

B&W film should be viable for a long time. Ilford and others have a good range and seem to be doing well. Color supply is also quite good for now, and there are even a couple re-entering the market.

In the US Freestyle Photo is a solid mail order source for film and darkroom supplies. Color processing is getting harder to find locally in many places, but as a result mail order houses such as Dwayne's and The Darkroom are doing well, and can provide scans on-line quickly.

I got back into film after some decades a few years ago (after getting my film cameras serviced) and really enjoy it again.

I think that availability of processing is more of a concern for those that don't process at home.  

That's why, when I came back to film, I decided that if I was going to do it, I'd really take the plunge and process my own film, then scan or wet print it.  I've found it to be simpler than I had originally thought.  Whether it's B&W or Color, it's doable without much fuss.  It just takes some time to find a procedure that works and to practice.  It doesn't take too much investment in equipment either.

I believe film will be around for a long time still.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have left the film for years, not as updated as all of you, I recently thinking to get back to film, and wondering if I should worry about the film supply from the manufacture? don't know if it is worth to reinvest the film body....

Your worry is similar to those of us in our very productive later years whose future is limited by speculation regarding our life-length. IOW, us old folks.  Briefly, use it or lose it. It is highly likely that film will be available longer than your interest in it.

If you are worried that eventually you will have a camera that is obsolete because it uses film - believe me, you will not live so long enough to care.

Enjoy

Edited by pico
  • Like 3

Hello Leica1215,

Have you noticed the "Film Forum" which is in the "Other" section of the "Photo Forum"?

Best Regards,

Michael

Thanks Michael ! :)

1076 pages of film photos

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/205842-i-like-filmopen-thread/page-1075

"Film is not dead" and you are welcome :)

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks all

Film is not there to worry about it. Film is there to being used and take great pictures. I worried about this a decade ago, when I bought my M8. Now I am not worried anymore because of the abundance of film still being around. I am thinking there is more supply than 5 years ago in specialized stores.

Edited by Paulus