New Fuji Medium Format

Jeff S

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As often rumored, now to appear at Photokina...

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2016/09/fujifilm-g-mount-its-official.html

https://www.dpreview.com/news/8411827820/fujfilm-announces-development-gfx-50s-medium-format-digital

Apparently less expensive than the Hasselblad X1D, and includes a lens road map (well done).  I hope 'weather resistant' means sealed as well as the SL.

I'll be interested to check this one out.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 7

Seems like a good move to jump over the FF as the X series are at a quality level for APS-C that approaches (and according to some bypass) FF but at a smaller overall size than the Sony FF compact cameras but big lenses. Would love to see the size of it in someone's hands. 

I for one would consider the Fuji over the Hasselblad, given their recent spate of bad decisions. I will wait to hold it in my hand before purchasing, but the lens line up (110/2) is mouthwatering. Would also be good to see the adapted lens possibilities. 

• Like 1

I'll not only want to hold it, but will want to test it in my print workflow.  I know that lensrentals plans to carry the X1D; I've emailed them to see if they also plan to carry the Fuji.  If so, I'll eventually rent both for a week.

In addition to maintaining inventory, it would be nice if lensrentals would conduct some of their expensive gear teardowns to evaluate the build quality and weather resistance of both systems. 

Jeff

• Like 2

Sorry for the provocative title, mods, please feel free to amend it if needed. 

Besides Leica lenses, any reason to prefer an S or an SL?

Fuji GFX 50S: Mirrorless MF camera, 800g (TBC), 43.8 x 32.9mm sensor, 51.4MP, built-in shutter, tilting LCD, detachable EVF, C1 support, 3 lenses at launch, less than $10,000 (TBC) including a 63/2.8 lens.

• Like 1

Links and discussion here...  http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/264726-new-fuji-medium-format/

If you want to limit discussion to impact on Leica, I would add the Hasselblad X1D to the competition.

As far as the S, it's at least in part differentiated by the superb optical VF.  Funny though that you mention lenses as a positive for Leica....for now at least, S lens problems are the system's Achilles heel.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I found the lenses announced with the Hasselblad rather slow, while the Fuji roadmap shows several 2.8 lenses.

If I were in the market for a MF camera, I would give the Fuji some very serious considerations. Thinking along a travel-MF, like the old Mamiya 6/7 line, however, offering faster lenses.

Stefan

• Like 2

Kevin Raber from LuLa is at Photokina and has written briefly on the Fuji.  I asked him about the VF experience, which is a top priority for my consideration of any system.  He said that the specs aren't final and that Fuji is keeping quiet when asked about it, only smiling.  He takes the smiling as a good sign.  I'll be interested to see.

Jeff

It isn’t. If clipped on the EVF looks and behaves like an integral part of the camera.

Actually I've changed my thinking on this.  It might turn out to be a huge benefit, if it suggests that future improvements could be made without changing bodies.  

I'm less interested in looks than in practicality, including maintaining body integrity and weather sealing.

Jeff

• Like 1

We've already been taught that clip on EVFs can't be upgraded (...)

No, we haven't. We have learned that some cameras will work with upgraded or new EVFs and some will not. We also have learned, but much earlier in life - that you can pour two litres of milk into a one litre bucket, but that this will leave you with one litre plus some spilt milk.

• Like 1

I didn't know that some Leica cameras had been given an EVF upgrade.

Not every company does things like Leica....sometimes that's a good thing, sometimes not.  The notion of 'upgradeability' didn't go so well for one Leica exec.  Some other companies have done pretty well with the modularity concept.

Among other things, companies need to weigh selling entirely new models versus allowing for incremental improvements/options for current gear.  Either approach is possible....with the right commitment, planning and execution.

Jeff

• 3 years later...

Outdoor conference room.

Shot with an Elmar 24/3.8 at f/5.6 on a Fuji GFX50R. The camera was in 35mm mode, which uses a full-frame central portion of the sensor, reducing the size of the raw file in proportion. Processed in Raw Therapee and Picture Window Pro for a muted look.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 4 weeks later...

Taken with 35/2-M aspherical at f/5.6 mounted on GFX 50R.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1