Kilmainham Gaol

war

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dublin, IE

Q

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

Very nice pictures. This place has a particular significance to Irish people as the execution of the Easter Rising leaders in Kilmainham in 1916 led to the Irish people supporting the Rising, which they had originally opposed. This led in time to the War of Independence and Ireland becoming an independent state. My father was 3 months old at the time of the Rising and he lived a few hundred yards away in Kilmainham Lane.

I visited the Gaol the week before last and took some photos. I have used some old style processing to get a feel of 100 years ago when the dramatic events took place in Kilmainham.

The first photo is from the Court House beside the Gaol. Here the accused had to sit on a seat on a raised platform on his/her own directly facing the judge. A true 'hot seat'.

These are the famous Iron Stairs. If they look familiar it is because they appeared in many films, including 'The Italian Job' where Noel Coward descended the stairs, as Mr Bridger, in one of his last film roles.

And finally, the Stone Breaker's Yard where the executions took place. I have chosen a bleak dark sepia for this. It was also raining at the time which heightened the effect. That gate in the middle leads directly out onto the street. 

The photos above were taken with the Leica M240 and 28mm Summicron (first photo) and WATE (other two photos).

I would recommend that all visitors to Dublin should go on the tour of Kilmainham Gaol, as it really assists in getting an understanding of early 20th century Irish History.

William

• Like 2

Thanks William, Stuart and both Michaels for your photos and comments.

Here is a poor shot through a keyhole of a cell where they spent their last days and another of the interior of the modern museum that was built adjacent about ten years ago. A must visit for a better understanding of Ireland's history. 

Thanks for looking

• Like 3