Leica launches Professional Business Unit [Merged]

erlingmm

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I shoot with an M because its fun and liberating to not have all those layers of menus....it takes me back to a time when both photography and I were young.

Which is exactly its 'professional' appeal. As they suit a lot of what I do these days, so I use M cameras, and I do know several pros who use them along with other esoteric such as Alpa 'digi-back' systems. I've said it before (and no doubt will again), most 'pro' spec. cameras (whatever they are :D ) are used by amateurs - that's the nature of mass production which requires a far larger market than the 'professional' side can sustain. So called 'professional' cameras are mostly a marketing ploy - with the vast majority of camera models of all types being used by amateurs. And in point of fact very few 'pro' photographers seem to use the top end cameras these days. They, like Leicas are too expensive new and offer little over 'lesser' cameras in terms of commercial benefits (with the exception of press/sports anyway). Good job that there is a constant supply of lightly used secondhand gear around which makes much better economic sense. And in point of fact Leicas actually suffer much lower depreciation than most other cameras so if bought for the right price are economically viable.

• Like 1

I am not a commercial photographer, I do fine art prints for galleries and the M is very relevant for what I do. I have been using all sort of cameras in the past and if I settled with a Monochrom is because I believe is the best tool for what I do but I don't want to through this discussion once again. The point that I am trying to make here, is that considering what they are charging for their cameras and lenses they should provide also adequate service. Saying that professional srevice is limited to S, SL and Sinar is poor marketing strategy.

Yep, I agree a poor strategy indeed.

........Giulio, your work is beautiful and the M is a tool perfect for you!

Edited by ECohen
  • Like 1

Are you saying that they forgot what they are famous for?

Well, it will be a good question for the inevitable  interviews on Photokina.;) I'm just pointing out that in two not dissimilar press releases the M is mentioned in one and in the other not.

In order to lay this issue to rest once and for all, with every M camera sold Leica should include a 3.5"/8.9 cm. red button to wear on the lapel that proclaims "Leica M Professional Master Photographer." That way, all doubt will be removed that the M camera is indeed a "Professional" camera and that the user is a "Master Photographer."

:rolleyes:

Edited by Carlos Danger
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In order to lay this issue to rest once and for all, with every M camera sold Leica should include a 3.5"/8.9 cm. red button to wear on the lapel that proclaims "Leica M Professional Master Photographer." That way, all doubt will be removed that the M camera is indeed a "Professional" camera and that the user is a "Master Photographer."

:rolleyes:

There needs to be a test as well :D

Edited by ECohen

There already is a test - a financial one. ;)

The real financial test comes with the acquisition of the S system. 

EDIT

Not really, now that I think about it.  For about the same cost as my M system, I would have an S system with half as many lenses and no film body.

Edited by Carlos Danger

The real financial test comes with the acquisition of the S system. 

EDIT

Not really, now that I think about it.  For about the same cost as my M system, I would have an S system with half as many lenses and no film body.

At one point I considered the S but from what I read on the web these things fail very frequently, especially the motor of the lenses....

Given the problems with the S lenses, I hope that quicker repairs/replacements, etc, will apply to all owners, not just to some special category of photographers who have to meet some special eligibility criteria and/or pay a significant price.  Otherwise, this would be a poor way to address issues that should have already warranted a recall....IMHO.

Jeff

• Like 3

Well, it will be a good question for the inevitable  interviews on Photokina. ;) I'm just pointing out that in two not dissimilar press releases the M is mentioned in one and in the other not.

Reading better the Leica announcement, I think that  it and the ProCentre Agreement are two slightly different approaches, to pursue a "multi-channel" strategy towards the (wide and very diversificated) world of what we simply call "pro" : 

- The Professional Business Unit insists on the concept of "B2B" ... which makes to think of a DIRECT relation of Leica with "pros" in the sense of Business entities who can be users (but mostly, buyers) of Leica gear : isn't by chance, imo, that they quote as part of this BU also the Cine Lenses Unit (the "customer" of Cine Lenses is typically a company who rents cine gear to producers/studios and similar... the "user" is a person, but he is not at all involved in what means to BUY and MAINTAIN this gear).  Also for photography there are similar kind of business... in the "fashion district" of Milan downtown you have photo studios who rent, for x Euros/day (x can be easily 5000) a complete set with stage, illuminators, cameras with MF digital backs etc. : a people who I know well (manufacturer of gas valves) recently rented such a studio for two days (with a model, too) , came in with his trusted photographer who went in cameraless , took some pictures of valves with the model, using the sudio's gear and then went away with his files to prepare the images for a sales brochure.

This is defineitely a business for S line, for Sinar and (hopefully for Leica) SL too...

- The ProCentre Agreement has to do with local professionals, probably private single persons, who have ProCentre as their typical/trustable "shop" for all the needs (in gear and services) that a professional has : in Leica view, this is, generally speaking, a "dealer"... but owing to his specialized market, Leica establishes (I think, through its current organization targeted to dealers) a specific policy in commercial and services terms on the products that this entity evaluates to be of interest for his customer base... and this can easily include the M line.

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 1

Yes, they should support the professionals not selected products

NO manufacturer supports ALL their equipment on a professional basis to professionals. It makes good business sense to support professionals using some ranges of equipment professionally, but certainly not all.

Yes, they should support the professionals not selected products

I don't have experience with Leica repairs or adjustments. (knock wood)

Can someone tell me the average wait time for a repair to be completed?

Is it 3 weeks or 3 months, or is it an unknown time...whenever?

Talking about Wetzlar, it depends. If everything goes to plan turnaround will be about two weeks, or in express service about a week. However, if spare parts have to be ordered it can take a lot longer, sometimes months.

There are separate rules for previously registered working professionals, which include fast turnarounds and loaners.

It is always useful to keep in close touch with your contact at customer service, as the operation is highly individualized.

Examples from this year: Upgrading my M240 took well over a month as the leather colour I specified was in backorder, my X2 with a broken battery latch was in my hands in eight days.

• Like 1

Talking about Wetzlar, it depends. If everything goes to plan turnaround will be about two weeks, or in express service about a week. However, if spare parts have to be ordered it can take a lot longer, sometimes months.

There are separate rules for previously registered working professionals, which include fast turnarounds and loaners.

It is always useful to keep in close touch with your contact at customer service, as the operation is highly individualized.

Thanks...

one to 2 weeks, seems a pro enough service for me ?

If I'm a working pro and its going to take 3 months....I can afford to buy or rent another camera.

If I cant afford it I guess I should have chosen a cheaper camera to use in my professional career

Hasselblad wanted $5,000 per year insurance when the Imacon back came out, repair and you got a loaner.

.......I thought it was a bit exorbitant so I opted out and dumped the system soon after.....it was a terrible camera back

Nikons NPS was a great system, loners and you move to the head of the line......but with the reasonable cost of the camera, you replaced the busted camera with a new one.

And sold the repaired one when it came back......the cost of being a pro..... cameras are like hammers...just tools

As I've said before I'll bet 90% of the Ms are not used professionally ....and the owners can wait 2 weeks

Well, Leica can be quite good.

When the sensor on my M9 died shortly before I went off on a five week holiday into Africa they spontaneously offered a loaner, in a time that cameras were in short supply.

To my surprise I got a brand new camera straight from the  production line. I feel slightly ashamed that it was clearly not brand new any more after five weeks of intensive use in demanding circumstances, but they did not mind at all.

And me an amateur, albeit one with a forty-year good customer relationship with Leica.