Advertisement (gone after registration)

29718517096_69bcaf20c2_b.jpg

Leica MP w/50mm Summicron on Ilford FP 4+ in HC 110 H for 7.75mins at 20 C

A woman shooting heroin on the sidewalk in Pioneer Square, Seattle.

This is one of those shots that I am always torn as to shoot or walk on by.  Street photography is new to me, really just began when I moved to Seattle and worked in a downtown office. I walk at lunch time to get out in the world away from A/C and artificial light. In three years this is one of the most depressing things I've come across, a woman shooting heroin in the middle of the day in public.  

• Like 1

Thank you both.  The housing problem for the homeless is a serious problem in Seattle, as evidenced by the tents on the sidewalk in the background of this image. The city has set up "tent cities" ala "Hoovervilles" from the Depression but he number of homeless is increasing and the tent cities keep growing, even around City Hall.  

This is my first time working in an urban office after many years at sea and then ashore in an office on the water in Fort Lauderdale so maybe I'm naive but really had no idea of the magnitude of the problem of the homeless/mentally ill/addicted population.

I've started a "Street Photography" gallery at my sailronin.smugmug.com website and have been surprised at the number of views, so maybe a bit of exposure (not much but maybe it can help) for the problem in Seattle.

Dave

Edited by Sailronin

Thank you both. The housing problem for the homeless is a serious problem in Seattle, as evidenced by the tents on the sidewalk in the background of this image. The city has set up "tent cities" ala "Hoovervilles" from the Depression but he number of homeless is increasing and the tent cities keep growing, even around City Hall.

This is my first time working in an urban office after many years at sea and then ashore in an office on the water in Fort Lauderdale so maybe I'm naive but really had no idea of the magnitude of the problem of the homeless/mentally ill/addicted population.

I've started a "Street Photography" gallery at my sailronin.smugmug.com website and have been surprised at the number of views, so maybe a bit of exposure (not much but maybe it can help) for the problem in Seattle.

Dave

The problem isn't just Seattle, it's everywhere in the Western world. In Britain we call it, 'austerity'.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

For us Americans, this has been a hot topic in the news lately.  Just last week this photo of a couple - oversdosed on heroin - in the front seat of a car with a 4yr olden the back seat went viral.  The photo was taken by a police officer on the scene.  It is absolutely sickening, and there is a lot that can be done to stop it.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For us Americans, this has been a hot topic in the news lately.  Just last week this photo of a couple - oversdosed on heroin - in the front seat of a car with a 4yr olden the back seat went viral.  The photo was taken by a police officer on the scene.  It is absolutely sickening, and there is a lot that can be done to stop it.

are those people dead Adam?!

are those people dead Adam?!

No, they had overdosed on heroine and would have died if they hadnt been stopped by the police. The man plead guilty and is servi g a one yr jail sentence. The woman pled not guilty and is awaiting trial. Poor kid:(

Thanks for posting this - it does add so much perspective

The BBC - if you can get access - did a documentary recently on heroin in suburban Ohio and linking the rise in use in part to prescription (opiate based) painkillers. It was hard viewing (as is the photo). There but for the grace of...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0457122/smack-in-suburbia-americas-heroin-crisis

• Like 1

No, they had overdosed on heroine and would have died if they hadnt been stopped by the police. The man plead guilty and is servi g a one yr jail sentence. The woman pled not guilty and is awaiting trial. Poor kid:(

... and as you can see in the rear seat, there was also a child in the car!.... How crazy can anyone get!... So sad!