Do M9/M-E/MM chargers just die after a few years?

m0n0

Advertisement (gone after registration)

FWIW I sent my failed charger back to Leica and have just received a replacement unit at a very reasonable cost indeed. Took about 10 days all in all, but I sent it directly by mail so Leica's turnaround (under their Pro program) was about a week back to my door from receipt of the failed one. That's a pretty good service as far as I'm concerned.

Interesting. Which Leica centre did you send this to ? The one in Singapore wouldnt accept chargers

Sent from my EVA-L29 using Tapatalk

My M9 charger also failed me a month or so ago, I connect it to the wall and no lights come on whatsoever.

However I have discoverd that in the car, using the 12v adapter for the cigarrete lighter, it still works!

So what I did is use a 12v AC transformer from an external hard drive I had and it works like a charm connected to the wall but using the 12v connection instead of the 100-240v. In fact according to the label on the charger it should work with any adapter that is 12v to 24v and with at least 0.5A. I am using a 12v 2A.

No need to throw it away or buy and expensive replacement if your's still works in the car, which is an easy test with the car charger that was included with the camera.

Thank you for this

Given the age of the M9, how hard does everyone think it will be to get replacement chargers for it in the future? And similarly does the same apply to sourcing the batteries themselves? I'm tempted to buy the few genuine Leica batteries I see pop up for the M9 on eBay as I don't see them all that often.

• Like 2

Given the age of the M9, how hard does everyone think it will be to get replacement chargers for it in the future? And similarly does the same apply to sourcing the batteries themselves? I'm tempted to buy the few genuine Leica batteries I see pop up for the M9 on eBay as I don't see them all that often.

Over the long run I would be more concerned about the availability of batteries than the chargers.

• 5 weeks later...