Will SL be the new standard system

tobey bilek

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've been concerned from the announcement of the SL that it would cause the M to atrophy and I'm more concerned now than I was a year ago.

That's not to criticise the SL in any way; perhaps quite the opposite. But development of the M will suffer and the misconception that it is an old-fashioned luxury rather than a valid contemporary camera will be reinforced and become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Edited by Peter H

I've been concerned from the announcement of the SL that it would cause the M to atrophy and I'm more concerned now than I was a year ago.

That's not to criticise the SL in any way; perhaps quite the opposite. But development of the M will suffer and the misconception that it is an old-fashioned luxury rather than a valid contemporary camera will be reinforced and become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

No, I dont think so Peter. (Well I hope so!!) 

There were a lot of Professionals out there that had the M and would use it at every opportunity for a job, but also had a SLR with long lenses and autofocus for times when the M would not suit. 

So basically kept a Canon or Nikon kit as their bread and butter camera, with all the lenses to go with it. 

I see the SL as the replacement for that 2nd camera body for professionals.

However for the serious (non-pro) photographer, the SL could replace the M. My father for instance would struggle to focus the M, but the focus aids on the SL give him an easier option. 

Or Autofocus is nice to have sometimes. 

The SL gives these guys another option rather than having to switch brands. 

The SL is a wonderful camera system, but as others have said, the SL lenses are huge. (in comparison to M lenses anyway)

And something really lacking which really needs to be addressed is Pro flash support.

Every flash maker out there makes flashes compatible with Canon and Nikon. Slowly we are seeing a few options for Sony and Fuji X cameras.

Every 3rd party flash option I have seen for Leica does only basic triggering with no TTL or high speed sync (HSS).

The Leica SL sync speed is 1/250th which is workable indoors, but if you wanted to use flash in outdoor situations, it is quite restrictive. 

Edited by haydenc

No, I dont think so Peter. (Well I hope so!!) 

There were a lot of Professionals out there that had the M and would use it at every opportunity for a job, but also had a SLR with long lenses and autofocus for times when the M would not suit. 

So basically kept a Canon or Nikon kit as their bread and butter camera, with all the lenses to go with it. 

I see the SL as the replacement for that 2nd camera body for professionals.

However for the serious (non-pro) photographer, the SL could replace the M. My father for instance would struggle to focus the M, but the focus aids on the SL give him an easier option. 

Or Autofocus is nice to have sometimes. 

The SL gives these guys another option rather than having to switch brands. 

The SL is a wonderful camera system, but as others have said, the SL lenses are huge. (in comparison to M lenses anyway)

And something really lacking which really needs to be addressed is Pro flash support.

Every flash maker out there makes flashes compatible with Canon and Nikon. Slowly we are seeing a few options for Sony and Fuji X cameras.

Every 3rd party flash option I have seen for Leica does only basic triggering with no TTL or high speed sync (HSS).

The Leica SL sync speed is 1/250th which is workable indoors, but if you wanted to use flash in outdoor situations, it is quite restrictive.

What's wrong with Leicas options, besides price, maybe? The SF64, 58 and 40 all offer TTL and HSS. Plus the SL offers ISO 50. That's a lot more flexible than Fuji at ISO 200. Also no third party flash in Fuji offers HSS (nor do most of the cameras) and the XT2 is having issues with flashes as new as the Nissin i40.

What is missing is wireless TTL, a function I never use but one that others find useful. I use OCF every day but ony use manual. I find both Canons and Nikons wireless TTL very slow and cumbersome to use.

Gordon

The SL could really be something like the new standard system. Mr. Karbe (head of research or similar) pointed out they have great plans for lenses for the SL.

A new level of quality (Summicrons with Summilux behaviour) and a higher level of IQ (they are testing and checking quality with MTF60).

Here the interview: http://www.reddotforum.com/content/2016/09/setting-a-new-standard-with-leica-sl-lenses-a-discussion-with-peter-karbe-at-photokina-2016/

Edited by steppenw0lf