Leica Q iPhone App and DNG files

jamies

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Now that iOS 10 and Lightroom Mobile both support DNG files, I'm hoping Leica will update their iPhone app to support wireless download of DNG files. This is even more important since firmware 2.0, since many will be shooting DNG only.

Does anyone know if Leica will or can update the iPhone app to support wireless DNG download? Is there some place we can request that from them directly?

Edited by jamies
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This has become critical.

While there are work-around, the purpose of the app is to enable the photographer to use images immediately.

If we need to send an image that was captured only to DNG, there is no way to do it without an iDevice SD reader.  Or carry a laptop.

The whole purpose of the Q (or any Leica for that mater) is to minimize the carry requirements while maximizing the image quality.

If I did not care about image quality, I would carry a Fuji XT100 instead of my Q.

PLEASE Mr. Leica -- we need this now.

This has become critical.

While there are work-around, the purpose of the app is to enable the photographer to use images immediately.

I'd rephrase that to something like this:  the purpose of the app is to allow the images to be uploaded to social media, immediately.

I guess I'd be surprised to find that many users do serious editing on a phone or tablet.  It wouldn't be the first time I've been surprised :)

(...)

If we need to send an image that was captured only to DNG, there is no way to do it without an iDevice SD reader.  Or carry a laptop.

On Android devices, for a couple of € PhotoMate allows one to directly see, download and edit the Q DNGs, simply by connecting it via an USB on-the-go cable.

I do this regularly, both on a tablet and even (rarely) on my phone.

And, for having tried before raw downloads via an Eye-Fi card, I definitely can state downloading raws via Wifi is totally unusable: given the large filesizes, this both takes forever, and kills your batteries both sides.

I tried it various times, with backup batteries being loaded in parallel, and will never retry.

If really you want to verify, just buy an Eye-Fi memory card, or one of the many clones now existing. But I predict you'll be terribly disappointed.