APO Macro Elmarit 60 ASPH on SL

gpwhite

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This lens is finally released, but the Leica datasheet confuses me in regard to application with its Professional Camera (and it also fails to mention rectilinear distortion, interestingly). Perhaps one of our experts can explain...

The focal length is 60mm and the lens is apparently fully compatible with the SL body. Does that mean that its image circle is sufficient to cover the entire 24x36 capture rectangle? I hope  :o

If so, is it just Leica-speak that the datasheet states a 90mm equivalent magnification (its yield on the T) and the MTF do not show the FF coverage on the y-axis?

It strikes me as rather optimistic that Leica would offer a US$3000 Macro, the size of an Otus apparently, and not fill FF capture. But you never know....

I

This lens is finally released, but the Leica datasheet confuses me in regard to application with its Professional Camera (and it also fails to mention rectilinear distortion, interestingly). Perhaps one of our experts can explain...

The focal length is 60mm and the lens is apparently fully compatible with the SL body. Does that mean that its image circle is sufficient to cover the entire 24x36 capture rectangle? I hope  :o

If so, is it just Leica-speak that the datasheet states a 90mm equivalent magnification (its yield on the T) and the MTF do not show the FF coverage on the y-axis?

It strikes me as rather optimistic that Leica would offer a US$3000 Macro, the size of an Otus apparently, and not fill FF capture. But you never know....

Dont think that it fits full frame. I also believe an Otus Macro 90mm lens would be much heavier and bigger than the T60mm.

The price is steep, agree on that.

The lens covers APS-C, which on the SL is 10 MPx.  The expansion factor for APS-C is 1.5, so the 60 mm lens has the angle of view of a 90 mm lens on FF.  The SL knows this, and gives you only an APS-C rectangular image, even though the lens might cover a somewhat larger image circle.  The T lenses come into their own on the SL when shooting video.  4K video (see David Farkas's recent posts) is drawn from the region of the sensor which the T lenses do cover.

scott

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Like 1

The SL knows this, and gives you only an APS-C rectangular image, even though the lens might cover a somewhat larger image circle.

The Canon 60mm macro EFS, whilst designed for smaller sensor cameras can and will cover full frame if attached to the camera via a 12mm extension tube. Then it gives excellent images from a maximum focus of around 30cm to greater than life size. I wonder if Leica have considered this as a possibility?

[As an aside, being an internal focus lens the Canon cannot be used with greater extension tubes as image quality is poor].

The Canon 60mm macro EFS, whilst designed for smaller sensor cameras can and will cover full frame if attached to the camera via a 12mm extension tube. Then it gives excellent images from a maximum focus of around 30cm to greater than life size. I wonder if Leica have considered this as a possibility?

[As an aside, being an internal focus lens the Canon cannot be used with greater extension tubes as image quality is poor].

As far as I understand that 60mm T has internal focusing and therefore extension tubes will severely degrade IQ (like the Macro-Elmarit R 100/2.8)

Edited by 40mm f/2