Elmar-m vs Summicron vs Summarit 50mm

marco_p

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have the Summicron 2.0/50 (latest Version) und the "old" Summarit 2.5/50 and in my opinion ist the Summarit "the best bang for your bucks". It is light-weight and sharp, good for travel and street!

+1 but the 50/2.5 can produce very nasty flare in some special circumstances, typically when the sun is at 10 o'clock just outside the frame.

+1 but the 50/2.5 can produce very nasty flare in some special circumstances, typically when the sun is at 10 o'clock just outside the frame.

The only Leica 50mm lenses that do not flare are the Elmar and the Lux ASPH. All Cron lenses flare badly, the APO included

The only Leica 50mm lenses that do not flare are the Elmar and the Lux ASPH. All Cron lenses flare badly, the APO included

50/1.4 asph and 50/2.8 v2 (let alone v1) can flare at will but they are indeed among my best Leica lenses from this viewpoint. 50/2 apo is not far from them and 50/2 v5 is indeed below but not that much. None of them has shown the nasty flare of the 50/2.5 i was referring to so far (pic) but i would not consider it a flare prone lens all in all. Better use a shade when a strong light source is close to the frame though. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by lct

I have seen central flare on my 2.5 when without the hood, but also similar central flare from my recent Summicron. Neither is as prone as my v3 Summicron, and the worst was my v1 Summicron-R.

I do use the hood on my 2.5 when outdoors, and it is reliable then.