The real news about the Leica Sofort! [merged thread]

jaapv

What I don't understand is:  if someone is retro enough to go for instant photography, why not go retro all the way and choose a perfectly serviceable SX-70 with Impossible film?

Some people prefer to buy new & many of these cameras are most likely gifts.

Fuji film is more widely available.

They just don't know about Impossible film or where to buy a good used camera.

Just a few reasons I can think of.

Of course. How is even possible to count lines without intervening spaces? It boggles the mind.

To some people this is about a sequence of black and white lines while others see just black lines with white space in between (or white lines with black space in between). The first group will count twice as many lines as the second. So this is ambiguous and I generally specify line pairs to make sure what is meant.

What I don't understand is:  if someone is retro enough to go for instant photography, why not go retro all the way and choose a perfectly serviceable SX-70 with Impossible film?

Last time I checked Impossible film cost $3 per image and is only available mail order. Fuji Instax is $1 per image and is available at Walmart.

Although some people do go all the way, it wasn't long ago I saw someone walking around with an SX-70.

Pico, nobody buys an instant camera for the picture quality.

Actually that's wrong, they do buy them for the picture quality, it's just a different type of quality to the type a person buying an M and APO Summicron is after! But equally valid.

Exactly , made an enlargement and compare. There is no photo way of talking !

It is obvious. Same comment for photos of the smartphone

Rg

H.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm with Jaap - I don't understand the fuss.

It's an instant camera, in fun colours for taking fun images.  I expect the lens is perfectly matched for the relatively low quality output - it's a small print.  What has the lens quality got to do with anything?  or line pairs?  Next thing, someone will start looking at corner sharpness under a magnifier.  This is not what this camera is about.  I'm quite sure that Leica is very capable to designing a lens of suitable quality for a small print.  It's not like you can enlarge the image.

It's a bit of fun, and (like the Ducati Scrambler and similar products) may well attract a young crowd with disposable income who just may, in future, buy a more capable Leica M (film or digital).

Cheers

John

• Like 4

I don't get the oh so common negative responses to any new product Leica releases. Leica has to sell products to remain viable... That's it, end of story.

I'll be buying one to have FUN taking some not so serious photos. What's wrong with that?

.... and at $300 odd dollars it's cheap!

I'm glad Leica has some hip people making decisions... Get over yourselves.

Edited by sc_rufctr
  • Like 7

It's an instant camera, in fun colours for taking fun images.  I expect the lens is perfectly matched for the relatively low quality output - it's a small print.  What has the lens quality got to do with anything?  or line pairs?  Next thing, someone will start looking at corner sharpness under a magnifier.  This is not what this camera is about.  I'm quite sure that Leica is very capable to designing a lens of suitable quality for a small print.  It's not like you can enlarge the image.

It's a bit of fun, and (like the Ducati Scrambler and similar products) may well attract a young crowd with disposable income who just may, in future, buy a more capable Leica M (film or digital).

Cheers

John

I'm not in the market for a Sofort since I already have a new Fuji 90 but I can say this - I get more smiles and giggles from non-photographers from a day of showing them Instax prints than I get in a whole month of "real" photography.  There's something about the little Instax Mini prints that people find fascinating, even adorable.

• Like 5

I don't get the oh so common negative responses to any new product Leica releases. Leica has to sell products to remain viable... That's it, end of story.

I'll be buying one to have FUN taking some not so serious photos. What's wrong with that?

.... and at $300 odd dollars it's cheap!

I'm glad Leica has some hip people making decisions... Get over yourselves.

If Leica had released a new product people probably wouldn't have been negative. But they haven't, they've repacked a Fuji, doubled the price and called it Leica. The discussions about the lens etc are too see what the extra cash is getting you.

www.robertpoolephotography.com

If Leica had released a new product people probably wouldn't have been negative. But they haven't, they've repacked a Fuji, doubled the price and called it Leica. The discussions about the lens etc are too see what the extra cash is getting you.

That's always been the case, hasn't it?  Leica is a premium brand; they say they've made changes under the hood, the lens is different (how much that matters is anyone's guess - comparing images seems rather pointless for this camera).

The point is, the camera is a bit of fun - you either pay $150 for the rather plain looking Fuji or $300 for the Leica in fun colours, and $30 for 50 prints.  If a buyer wants the colourful version, I don't think the price is going to put them off - not for $300.

• Like 2

www.robertpoolephotography.com

The discussions about a 'special lens' are more about people needing to convince themselves why they should pay more.

The answer is simple - the money is in the redesign of the casing and the fact that Leica are buying these cameras from Fuji so there's some additional profit margin for Fuji to factor in.

Considering that the price is very reasonable- it's silly to think you're buying a Leica made lens into the bargain.

I hope it's a roaring success I really do. My first camera was a Polaroid and I really liked it!

• Like 2

Some people prefer to buy new & many of these cameras are most likely gifts.

Fuji film is more widely available.

They just don't know about Impossible film or where to buy a good used camera.

Just a few reasons I can think of.

Plus, my daughter is, I believe, on her 3rd SX-70 from IP in the last 12 months due to the cameras failing. I suspect her current one may be her last (but it's her money, so who knows...). She now seems to be putting more effort into B&W negative, but has a wall plastered in SX-70 prints. Edited by EoinC

Cheers

John

And we haven't yet got onto barrel distortion and chromatic aberrations...

It's hard work trying to have fun in this World.

• Like 6

Hopefully this will be allowed by the Mods… Here's a photo I took with my first camera, a Polaroid, on the birthday I was given it. These were some of my mates at the time who'd come over for the day. I can't remember how old I was but I think probably about 8-10. 

Funny how this photo brings back some memories from that day, vivid memories when so much else is forgotten. 

This photo is very valuable to me. I'm sure many Sofort photos will become just as valuable to others in the same way.

Excellent, James - That is exactly what this is about.
  • Like 2

Hopefully this will be allowed by the Mods… Here's a photo I took with my first camera, a Polaroid, on the birthday I was given it. These were some of my mates at the time who'd come over for the day. I can't remember how old I was but I think probably about 8-10. 

Funny how this photo brings back some memories from that day, vivid memories when so much else is forgotten. 

This photo is very valuable to me. I'm sure many Sofort photos will become just as valuable to others in the same way.

This. Spot on. Great post.

• Like 1