The real news about the Leica Sofort! [merged thread]

jaapv

I know it is not allowed to post picture not made with a Leica lens or a Leica camera, but I hoped this is allowed.

As stated before I own a Fuji mini 7s and recently a mini 90, both suffer from a severe viewfinder parallax.

(if Leica has solved this I'll buy 'sofort' one)

Take a look at the picture the lines show what  is shown in the viewfinder.

All M owners knows that what the viewfinder shows is not exactly what is on the picture, but I have never had any problem because the difference is small.

But here you really have to anticipate.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The picture is taking at 4 meter

Camera set to 3 m – infinity (far range)

Exposure compensation + 0.7EV

After the announcement I got very interested (again) in the whole intstant photo world. Ten years ago I was looking at Polaroid, but found it much too expensive and did not know at the time if film would still be around in the future. But I still like the artsy look of instant photography, so I used my free time during these past few weeks to read up on the phenomenon and I just ordered the Fujifilm Instax Share SP-2. This is a little wireless printer that takes the same Instax Mini film as the Leica Sofort. It prints from IOS and Androïd devices on instant paper. Of course you don't get the large sensor look from shooting directly in camera, but the instant print look is there. I figured this saves me having to lug around an instant camera, which I will probably buy later anyhow, either the Instax Mini 90 or the Leica Sofort.

I think Leica should get a commission from Fuji for creating the extra interest in the Instax line :-) But then again, Fuji doesn't really need that, I understood they sell 5-6 million Instax cameras per year!

One last thing, if you have a Fuji digital, you can print directly from your camera to the wireless printer. I wish Leica would add this piece of software to their WiFi enabled cameras. The little prints are going to be nice giveaways.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

All the info you need on the new Leica is here http://www.fujifilm.com/products/instant_photo/cameras/instax_mini_90/#features

It's interesting that Fuji styled it to look like a retro camera - dare I say a Leica M - and Leica have given it 'modern' styling, modern being like something from the 70's modern.

Word is there is a product bundle forthcoming that includes a Sofort, an Austin Powers styled polyester leisure suit and a plastic camera bag covered with day glow colored daisies. 

Edited by Carlos Danger
  • Like 2

Plus, my daughter is, I believe, on her 3rd SX-70 from IP in the last 12 months due to the cameras failing. I suspect her current one may be her last (but it's her money, so who knows...). She now seems to be putting more effort into B&W negative, but has a wall plastered in SX-70 prints.

Hopefully she knows that SX-70s refurbished by IP come with a one-year guarantee, which is really the only reason to pay IP's premium...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully she knows that SX-70s refurbished by IP come with a one-year guarantee, which is really the only reason to pay IP's premium...

Yes, they've been replaced under warranty, but there's a Leica-like turnaround time (at least to Australia). What i like, though, is that IP managed to pique her interest in photography, and particularly that it is not all about the sharp 'realist' perfection stream of the digital age.

• Like 1

I'm taking pictures already for 47 years, not as a professional or even amateur photographer, just someone who likes to take pictures. I started with a Russian 6x6 but after a year I switched to Instant Photography. Later I also got involved with other (normal) film photography. Between 1985 and 1992 I did video, joined a club, won a few small rewards, and from 2000 upto now I use film and digital. One thing that always remained during 46 years is Instant Photography. I never gave up, it was with ups and downs, but I stil love and use it. It are not the perfect pictures like you get with traditional film and digital, but every picture is unique and with the integral instant film you get the the magic of the apearing picture, and you have a picture in your hands to treasure ore give away to make somebody happy.

To come back to the Sofort I noticed the short instruction manual. Some settings are different from the Instax mini 90:

-focussing setting: on the Sofort by turning the ring of the lens, with the Instax it is through the menu button

-in the focus setting 3 meter to infinity the flash of the Sofort is off while with the Instax the flash can fire

-the Sofort has a sefie mode

Perhaps there are also some other differences but I did'nt search further.

Best

Edited by rjans
  • Like 2

I'm taking pictures already for 47 years, not as a professional or even amateur photographer, just someone who likes to take pictures. I started with a Russian 6x6 but after a year I switched to Instant Photography. Later I also got involved with other (normal) film photography. Between 1985 and 1992 I did video, joined a club, won a few small rewards, and from 2000 upto now I use film and digital. One thing that always remained during 46 years is Instant Photography. I never gave up, it was with ups and downs, but I stil love and use it. It are not the perfect pictures like you get with traditional film and digital, but every picture is unique and with the integral instant film you get the the magic of the apearing picture, and you have a picture in your hands to treasure ore give away to make somebody happy.

To come back to the Sofort I noticed the short instruction manual. Some settings are different from the Instax mini 90:

-focussing setting: on the Sofort by turning the ring of the lens, with the Instax it is through the menu button

-in the focus setting 3 meter to infinity the flash of the Sofort is off while with the Instax the flash can fire

-the Sofort has a sefie mode

Perhaps there are also some other differences but I did'nt search further.

Best

Thanks for doing the legwork. It's good to know that Leica have made some changes rather than just cosmetic.

I teach geography to a 13 year old girl who brought her Fuji instax on a field trip, the first time I've handled one! The other kids thought it was amazing to have a print of themselves to take away. I enjoyed explaining the settings to her, she could work it but didn't understand aperture etc. A great route into photography. Film is not dead :)

www.robertpoolephotography.com

• Like 2

Several years ago I have used a Polaroid camera on my profession, because photos were needed for an archive.

Never would I have thought taking pictures with this instant camera privately.

A Polaroid camera would have been a far too great limitation for my amateur photography:

This bulky camera with its lens of only low optical quality needed expensive Polaroid films.

The photos were just as low quality, as if they were made with an Instamatic or Pocket camera - just faster.

For this I have never left a Leica at home.

But whoever needs uncomplicated paper photos immediately and everywhere will have to accept the restrictions.

Hi, a couple of ?'s

(1) I see the camera offer 3 zones for focus,

but I cannot see any Aperture adjustment?

(2) Can photographs be duplicated via a scanner/printer

using photo paper?

(3) Are the batteries replaced with a new film pack?

Tx..

I think the aperture is fixed and the shutter speed changes. Should check this on my Instax mini 90 (the Sofort is based on the mini 90). Will revert with my findings. The photographs can be scanned very easy on a flatbedscanner. It does not need to be a high end flatbedscanner due to the small size of the pictures and the low resolution. The camera uses a rechargeable Li-ion battery. The film packs do not contain a battery.

Just checked about the aperture: the camera does not work with its back open. As far as I could observe (flash off mode) the aperture remains the same and the shutter speed changes.

Hope this helps

Best

Edited by rjans

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I actually held a sofort today.

Feels well made, but i dont think the design team ever picked one up - it has no room for fingers in a conventional grip - the lens needs to be moved further over to the left (looking from the back) to make space for a proper grip

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...