The real news about the Leica Sofort! [merged thread]

jaapv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Either that or Leica is now in fact rebadging somebody else's lens and that would be the end of Leica for me.

You obviously don't know about various R lenses which were actually Minolta designs, or the Sigma R lens?

The lens on the Digilux 1 could also be found on an Olympus and Canon as well as the Panasonic.

I very much doubt each manufacturer was coincidentally coming up with the same lens.

We're talking about a 'novelty' camera here. If the lens on the Fuji is good enough what does it matter?

• Like 1

Well, if you care to check the specs:

Fuji Instax: "Instax Lens" 60mm, f12.7

Leica: "Automatik-Hektor" 60mm, f12.7

They do have the same specs, agreed. However, Leica specifically calls the Sofort lens "Hektor" and I am the "glass is half full" kind of guy - therefore I am assuming it's a different lens - even if there has only been some very minor change (e.g. a different element)

Either that or Leica is now in fact rebadging somebody else's lens and that would be the end of Leica for me.

With the Panaleicas we know that Panasonic is using Leica designed lenses. The rebadged Leica versions use the same (Leica designed) lens.

The Sofort either uses a Leica version of the 60/12.7 or Leica rebadged a Fuji lens.

According to Fuji the Instax film has a resolving power of 12 lines/mm.

https://www.fujifilm.eu/fileadmin/product_migration/generic/files/files/instax_mini_datasheet_14.pdf

Not really high specs for a lens. I'm sure the lenses are the same.

As a Instax 7s owner I wanted a better camera.

I like both Fuji and Leica and apart from the look they are almost the same.

I hesitated between the two and finally went for the Fuji because he has two shutter buttons and the Leica has only one shutterbutton.

grt

Luc

Edited by Lucklik

12 lp/mm seems to me to be more than ample for an instant film. I doubt whether many will get that on a conventional chemical print. Even if the lens would only resolve, say, 20 lp/mm, which would be pretty grotty, it would still out resolve the film. A direct process is far more robust than one that has to run through a number of steps and limiting factors.

• Like 1

Good info, Luc.

Anyone seen this yet? David Farkas and Stephan Daniel talking about the Sofort:

http://www.reddotforum.com/content/2016/09/photokina-2016-the-leica-sofort/

I'm afraid there's not much new info there, missed chance.

What I'd like to know:

Is the hardware in any way (exept for design) different from the Fuji?

Did Leica ask for a special recepy or add a secret sauce to the paper?

I must say I really like the packaging of the Leica paper, the Fuji paper package is so ugly in comparison, though probably much cheaper. It reminded me of difference between that new Fuji MF mirrorless versus the Hasselblad X1D. Man, I'm in love with the design of that camera.

FWIW

https://www.engadget.com/2016/09/20/leica-sofort-instax-camera-hands-on/

Quote: The lens, according to the representative I spoke to, is Leica made, and fixed at 60mm

"Leica made" doesn't *actually* add a lot to our discussion, but it tells us what Leica is communicating to the public on the Automatik-Hektor

12 lp/mm seems to me to be more than ample for an instant film. I doubt whether many will get that on a conventional chemical print. Even if the lens would only resolve, say, 20 lp/mm, which would be pretty grotty, it would still out resolve the film. A direct process is far more robust than one that has to run through a number of steps and limiting factors.

My experience compels me to intervene.  First, I challenge 12 lp/mm for instant prints. What is the source of authority, and regardless it is pathetic.

Instant prints from day-one to today suck, are fuzzy, unacceptable. Impressionist at best.

Edited by pico

Of course. 600 ppi smeared across the image space has nothing to do with resolution.

I’m not quite sure what your point is. Increasing the resolution of the lens would make no difference whatsoever to the eventual image.

FWIW

https://www.engadget.com/2016/09/20/leica-sofort-instax-camera-hands-on/

Quote: The lens, according to the representative I spoke to, is Leica made, and fixed at 60mm

"Leica made" doesn't *actually* add a lot to our discussion, but it tells us what Leica is communicating to the public on the Automatik-Hektor

From the Leica representative at Phtokina I understood (between the lines) that only the outside was Leica.

It seems to make a difference who you talk to.

Indeed, and I think that by now we can all draw the conclusion that only the outside is Leica's. (which is fine by me, by the way) I mean, if it really was a Leica improved version of the Fuji 90, people like Mr. Daniel would have clearly stated this in the interview with Mr. Farkas, I suppose.

That being said, I really like the design and everybody can make up their own mind whether it's worth the extra ~ €150.

• Like 1

Of course. How is even possible to count lines without intervening spaces? It boggles the mind.

Pico, nobody buys an instant camera for the picture quality.

Actually that's wrong, they do buy them for the picture quality, it's just a different type of quality to the type a person buying an M and APO Summicron is after! But equally valid.

• Like 3