Problem with Lexar lock tabs on their SD cards sliding to locked

wlaidlaw

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Is anyone else having a problem with the lock tabs on the Lexar Professional 1000X SDXC cards? I have had four or five occasions when I have taken out my #1 card, only to find the pictures I had taken, were not on it. I then find them on the #2 card. On checking, I have found the lock tab has been knocked into the locked position, so of course, the card cannot be written to. Compared with San Disk cards where it takes a very definite amount of effort to move the lock tab, you could almost blow the Lexar tabs from one position to another. I have been experimenting and it is very easy to accidentally move the tab when inserting into the SL slots. It is just something I don't want to have to check every time I use the camera, after I have had a card out. 

I might write to Lexar to advise and see what they say. 

Wilson

Ijust tried mine.It might be slightly smoother than Sandisk, but certainly not so loose as to shift. It must be a batch of cards that has this problem. Doesn't the camera warn when a card is locked?

No only when both cards are locked. My 128 GB card is looser than the 64 GB cards but compared with my San Disk very loose. The San Disk can be at the other extreme, where you can break a finger nail trying to move them. 

I have the 128GB x1000 Lexar and got an issue with it recently. After a large series of pictures few hundreds. I turned the camera off and moved location. When trying to shoot again, the camera gave a "cannot write on card 1" message. The picture where not recorded. The card 2 (different model) was not leveraged. I removed the battery and it did not improved anything. I removed the card 1 and then pictures started to go on card 2. As I had some important shots on Card 1 and I am currently traveling, I have not re-inserted it in the camera yet. But I checked the read-write switch and it is in the correct position. It did not moved. I have the latest FW (2.1).

The card had 76GB free when the issue arised.

Is anyone else having a problem with the lock tabs on the Lexar Professional 1000X SDXC cards? I have had four or five occasions when I have taken out my #1 card, only to find the pictures I had taken, were not on it. I then find them on the #2 card. On checking, I have found the lock tab has been knocked into the locked position, so of course, the card cannot be written to. Compared with San Disk cards where it takes a very definite amount of effort to move the lock tab, you could almost blow the Lexar tabs from one position to another. I have been experimenting and it is very easy to accidentally move the tab when inserting into the SL slots. It is just something I don't want to have to check every time I use the camera, after I have had a card out. 

I might write to Lexar to advise and see what they say. 

Wilson

All of mine have this issue, unable to use them on the SL

• Like 1

All of mine have this issue, unable to use them on the SL

Lexar have said they will exchange the cards but I suspect the replacements may be similar, as it will be a function of the dimensions of their injection moulds. 

You can actually use them on the SL but you have to be very careful to angle the card in such a way that the slot does not foul the card as you are inserting it. 

Wilson

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Lexar have said they will exchange the cards but I suspect the replacements may be similar, as it will be a function of the dimensions of their injection moulds. 

You can actually use them on the SL but you have to be very careful to angle the card in such a way that the slot does not foul the card as you are inserting it. 

Wilson

Glue or thin tape.  Should not have to, but.   

I never found it necessary to lock a card anyway.

Glue or thin tape.  Should not have to, but.   

I never found it necessary to lock a card anyway.

Tobey, 

I am very reluctant to use tape. I did this way back with my Digilux 2, when the two halves of the SD card had separated and the tape welded itself inside the slot, after the camera got very hot in India. I had to spend hours with needle nosed tweezers picking out bits of tape and then cleaning the slot before I could use the camera again. Super-glue is a distinct possibility. 

The only time I used to lock a card was in the early days of the M8, when it was very unstable. I used to re-load the latest firmware after every crash, just to make sure it had not been corrupted by the crash. Unless you locked the card, as part of the update process, the camera reformatted the card, losing the FW update file. 

Wilson

Haven't had any problems with the Lexar 1000x cards. The one I have in the SL now has been pulled and replaced dozens of times and the lock has never been moved. 

No problems with mine either I have the lowly 16GB ones.