Purchasing a Leica D-Lux

I have the Panasonic LX 100 which is virtually the same camera assuming you are referring to the Dlux109. I am amazed at the results I get from it and I regularly print to A2 with more than satisfactory results. One of my pastimes is hill walking in the English Lake District and I never take my M9 plus lenses when out for a full days walking. Sure my M plus 50 lux etc will give better results but in many cases the gap is not all that wide. Go ahead and buy one you will not be disappointed.

Edited by Guest

Have been considering this too, the reviews and flickr pages are just too tempting.  I use an M6 at present, and cannot afford a Q or digital M.   Probably the LX100 as, here in the UK, the price difference is quite large.  Have seen some posted issues around sensor-dust, but nothing else of concern.  If you're worried, is it worth buying from a known store so in the unlikely event of needing attention, you've got someone to go to?

I bought mine early last year and find it excellent for personal photography. Regarding failures, remember that failures get aired in the forum, whereas satisfied users are too busy to extol its virtues and reliability. Failures usually arise within the early life usually covered by warranty.

Hi,

I'm planning on purchasing a D-Lux from Amazon on the next days. However, after reading several posts on the forum I'm beggining to think if its a good idea since there are negative comments regarding repair issues. 

Any thoughts on this? 

Best regards and thanks in advance. 

Hi,

I've got my D-Lux 109 in November 2014 and have experienced no problems whatsoever. None.

Having followed almost all relevant discussions - mostly on DPReview - there have indeed been some complaints. But only occasionally and - if the high number of D-Lux/LX100 is considered - most likely not typical for this cam.

You are talking about "next days". My recommendation is to wait another week or two: at the Photokina starting next week at Köln/Germany there is rumored to be a successor announced by Panasonic ("LX15" or "LX150" or alike) which might well be also a new Leica camera one or two months later. This has happened in autumn 2014 with the LX100 and consequently Leica D-Lux.

Andreas

• Like 2

Thanks for all the responses!

Hi,

I've got my D-Lux 109 in November 2014 and have experienced no problems whatsoever. None.

Having followed almost all relevant discussions - mostly on DPReview - there have indeed been some complaints. But only occasionally and - if the high number of D-Lux/LX100 is considered - most likely not typical for this cam.

You are talking about "next days". My recommendation is to wait another week or two: at the Photokina starting next week at Köln/Germany there is rumored to be a successor announced by Panasonic ("LX15" or "LX150" or alike) which might well be also a new Leica camera one or two months later. This has happened in autumn 2014 with the LX100 and consequently Leica D-Lux.

Andreas

Andreas,

I think the new leica is called "sofort" but it is an instant camera. Thanks for the info!

Have been considering this too, the reviews and flickr pages are just too tempting.  I use an M6 at present, and cannot afford a Q or digital M.   Probably the LX100 as, here in the UK, the price difference is quite large.  Have seen some posted issues around sensor-dust, but nothing else of concern.  If you're worried, is it worth buying from a known store so in the unlikely event of needing attention, you've got someone to go to?

Kentishrev,

I live in the Dominican Republic, so, I'll order it from Amazon. I travel a lot, so I can wait a few more weeks. But I would prefer to order it online so I can start playing with it right away. 

Honestly, this is going to be my first camera since college. I'm tired of using my iphone on my trips and getting bad pictures. So, I'm looking for a camera that shoots great pictures, fits my briefcase or pack and will last a considerable amount of time. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the responses!

Andreas,

I think the new leica is called "sofort" but it is an instant camera. Thanks for the info!

Kentishrev,

I live in the Dominican Republic, so, I'll order it from Amazon. I travel a lot, so I can wait a few more weeks. But I would prefer to order it online so I can start playing with it right away. 

Honestly, this is going to be my first camera since college. I'm tired of using my iphone on my trips and getting bad pictures. So, I'm looking for a camera that shoots great pictures, fits my briefcase or pack and will last a considerable amount of time. 

With "LX15/LX150" I was referring to a possible D-Lux 109 successor. This could be announced within the next days.

But anyway: looking at your requirements the D-Lux 109 (or successor) would be a perfect tool for you. I'm using my D-Lux in particular for vacation shots where a distinctive advantage is the small dimension together with the highly useful operating scheme. It's for sure an always_with_you camera (I carry it in a small belt case) with very good - particularly with RAW processing - output.

Andreas

Well the LX10/LX15 Has been announced, which only has a 1 inch sensor and no viewfinder, which kind of makes it more of similar to the RX100, rather than a successor of the LX100. I'm not sure if they are announcing another model, but if you wait a couple of days you will know. If Leica do release a version of the Panasonic, it will likely be a few months after and probably pricier than the 109.

I'm happy with the D-Lux so far, much nicer to use than my nx mini which was 1inch sensor & 24mp. There's a 3 year warranty included which should cover most repair issues IF they arise anyway. Build quality seems solid.

As I mentioned before, I was considering the D-Lux, or most likely an LX100.  However, having now made the rounds of the camera shops and taken the chance to play with lots of new toys, I have to say that the Olympus Pen F seems a quite remarkable camera - and the styling is outraeously Leica, with an on/off button that so closely resembles the M3 re-wind screw.

As I mentioned before, I was considering the D-Lux, or most likely an LX100.  However, having now made the rounds of the camera shops and taken the chance to play with lots of new toys, I have to say that the Olympus Pen F seems a quite remarkable camera - and the styling is outraeously Leica, with an on/off button that so closely resembles the M3 re-wind screw.

Yes the Pen F is very much in the Leica style so I understand your thinking, especially as a street camera.  However, it is a totally different system having interchangeable lenses and by the time you consider the overall weight, size and cost it becomes a significant investment in both cost and bulk.  The Panasonic Leica G lenses fit this camera by the way, including the fabulous G fit Noctilux but at a price!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

With "LX15/LX150" I was referring to a possible D-Lux 109 successor. This could be announced within the next days.

But anyway: looking at your requirements the D-Lux 109 (or successor) would be a perfect tool for you. I'm using my D-Lux in particular for vacation shots where a distinctive advantage is the small dimension together with the highly useful operating scheme. It's for sure an always_with_you camera (I carry it in a small belt case) with very good - particularly with RAW processing - output.

Andreas

yes, I think one should wait. Today I talked with the owner of the shop where I buy my stuff and he said there will be a successor soon with  a larger sensor and more MP, One could probably say a new camera. I have a Q and I am planning to buy this allrounder camera for lighweight resons and versatility.

yes, I think one should wait. Today I talked with the owner of the shop where I buy my stuff and he said there will be a successor soon with  a larger sensor and more MP, One could probably say a new camera. I have a Q and I am planning to buy this allrounder camera for lighweight resons and versatility.

The D-Lux is a compact camera with an already fairly large sensor for a compact. And the fast lens also is quite a challenge for this sensor size in combination with the camera's dimensions.

Therefore, I'd consider it extremely unlikely that a "successor"of the 109 would have an even larger sensor. Probably the vendor was referring to the new Leica TL (APS-C).

Andreas

A larger sensor would mean a new T i suspect but i may be wrong.

The D-Lux is a compact camera with an already fairly large sensor for a compact. And the fast lens also is quite a challenge for this sensor size in combination with the camera's dimensions.

Therefore, I'd consider it extremely unlikely that a "successor"of the 109 would have an even larger sensor. Probably the vendor was referring to the new Leica TL (APS-C).

Andreas

The LX 100 and D-lux 109 both have a slightly smaller than standard M4/3 sensor - or use only 9?% of what might be a M4/3 sensor … so by utilising the whole of a M4/3 sensor there might be a possibility of a similar sized camera (LX 200?) with a slightly bigger sensor area. But I'm just speculating.

dunk   

The LX 100 and D-lux 109 both have a slightly smaller than standard M4/3 sensor - or use only 9?% of what might be a M4/3 sensor … so by utilising the whole of a M4/3 sensor there might be a possibility of a similar sized camera (LX 200?) with a slightly bigger sensor area. But I'm just speculating.

dunk   

1) D-Lux 109 MFT sensor smal (multiformat) crop faktor 2,2

2) native MFT sensor without multiformat = crop faktor 2,0 

LX200 / D-Lux ??? with native MFT-sensor ? 

• Like 1