Novoflex Nikon E to Leica SL adapter

TheGodParticle/Hari

Brilliant, for long reach SL coupled with latest Nikkor 200-500mm f5.6E or 300mm f4E Fresnel springs to mind, these Nikkors are dirt cheap.

Yes, 300/4 PF and 200-500/5.6 and all the super tele, 400/2.8, 500/4, 600/4 comes to mind. It will fill up the needs for long tele

very nicely if AF speed is adequate.  And also the new Nikon 105/1.4e would be interesting as well.

Edited by Suteetat

I could imagine buying the 4/300 PF for usage on the SL (among others), because that lens is so small and light that I could use it even without OIS/VR. But the bigger the lens the more important is VR.  So I do rather use the really big lenses on their "native cameras".

The VR of the 4/300 PF was plagued with troubles (in the first tests after release). So not a big loss. I am not sure, if this has been fixed in the meantime. Did not find anyone repeating the tests.

Edited by steppenw0lf

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but...

There's still going to be the simple issue that these are PDAF lenses driven by a CDAF body. As with Canon, anyone who thinks that they're going to get AF that's close to native, especially with the long lenses, is setting themselves up for disappointment. Inherent to CDAF focusing is the fact that they work better with fast lenses. So short to mid primes will work best, zooms and longer lenses will be slower. Wider lenses tend to have more in  a scene to lock onto than teles. None will be as fast as on a Nikon body and some won't work at all because they can't deal with CDAF. Plus no tracking and no IS.

This adaptor is a great move and I greatly appreciate my Canon version. Some lenses will become very usable. But as with the Canon there's going to be disappointment for some who set their hopes too high.

I would suggest that keeping expectations low is the better option to thinking this adaptor is going to let Nikon shooters dump all their bodies immediately. Not with this body. Maybe the SL602 will have on sensor PDAF and we'll see some improvement.

Gordon

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I haven't been able to "find" what 13 lenses they know to be compatible.  I assume recent ones like the 200-500 and the 300, but don't know of any others.  Does anyone know what ones have compatibility?  

I haven't been able to "find" what 13 lenses they know to be compatible.  I assume recent ones like the 200-500 and the 300, but don't know of any others.  Does anyone know what ones have compatibility?  

It would be all the e lenses. As far as I know, 24-70/2.8 VR, 105/1.4e 300/4PF, 400/2.8e FL, 500/4e FL, 600/4e FL, 800/5.6e FL, 16-80/2.8-4e DX, the 3 tilt shift PC-E (manual focus though). So that's 11, not sure what the other 2 are.

True that most likely AF with long tele will either does not work or slow enough that it would not really be all that usable. Commlite F mount to E mount for Sony A7r ii, using PDAF is really good for wide angle up to 70-200/2.8 with the exception of 105/2.8 macro that I tried so far.

The most recent fw version 4 now makes 300/4PF usable but still not quite as fast as with D810 or D500 but still quite reasonable. With 500/4e,it works ok with brightly lit subject but not fast enough that I would use it with Sony instead of Nikon body. SL will be worse than Sony I would guess.

Edited by Suteetat

Here’s a list of E-type lenses that are compatible: (plus two extenders ? TC-14E III, TC-20E III)   (taken from Farkas)

• Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 24mm f/3.5D ED Tilt-Shift
  • Nikon PC-E Micro-NIKKOR 45mm f/2.8D ED Tilt-Shift
  • Nikon PC-E Micro-NIKKOR 85mm f/2.8D Tilt-Shift
  • Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8E ED VR
  • Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 105mm f/1.4E ED
  • Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR
  • Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f/4E PF ED VR
  • Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 400mm f/2.8E FL ED VR
  • Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/4E FL ED VR
  • Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 600mm f/4E FL ED VR
  • Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR
Edited by steppenw0lf

• 2 months later...

It looks as if this adapter is available. (e.g. https://www.amazon.de/Novoflex-Adapter-AF-Objek-SL-Kamera/dp/B01LYU81JJ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1480695001&sr=8-3&keywords=novoflex+a+adapter+leica+sl)

Has anybody any experience with it ? (positive or negative)

Experiences with the long lenses would be very welcome.  (e.g. 4/300 PF)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It looks as if this adapter is available. (e.g. https://www.amazon.de/Novoflex-Adapter-AF-Objek-SL-Kamera/dp/B01LYU81JJ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1480695001&sr=8-3&keywords=novoflex+a+adapter+leica+sl)

Has anybody any experience with it ? (positive or negative)

Experiences with the long lenses would be very welcome.  (e.g. 4/300 PF)

Yes, please pass a word in case someone has played with the Novoflex Nikon AF Lens Adapter to Leica SL Body adapter!

Edited by helged

Here’s a list of E-type lenses that are compatible: (plus two extenders ? TC-14E III, TC-20E III)   (taken from Farkas)

• Nikon PC-E NIKKOR 24mm f/3.5D ED Tilt-Shift
  • Nikon PC-E Micro-NIKKOR 45mm f/2.8D ED Tilt-Shift
  • Nikon PC-E Micro-NIKKOR 85mm f/2.8D Tilt-Shift
  • Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8E ED VR
  • Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 105mm f/1.4E ED
  • Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR
  • Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f/4E PF ED VR
  • Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 400mm f/2.8E FL ED VR
  • Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/4E FL ED VR
  • Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 600mm f/4E FL ED VR
  • Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR

I saved on the cost of the adapter as none of my Nikon glass is listed. I will sell it and buy the 90-280 SL zoom.

Yes, please pass a word in case someone has played with the Novoflex Nikon AF Lens Adapter to Leica SL Body adapter!

I have one and use it with the newest 105/1.4. The AF is reasonably fast and consistent, only a bit noisy. The experience I am having with it is so far much better than the one with the EOS/SL adapter.

Edited by Ario Arioldi
  • Like 2

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

The last of my Nikon disappeared thanks to eBay last week ...... good riddance. 

I have come to the conclusion that having gear from multiple systems is wasteful and particularly with Leica entirely pointless. 

I'm in the same boat Bill. I pick up a camera and then have to think about how to turn the frigging thing on................

This is a G lens, so no autofocus - the existing AF adapter is only for E lenses. But for UWA this is no loss.

I use the AF-S 2.8/17-35. It is just as good as on the D800, maybe even slightly sharper (the SL has no moire filter).

I don't see why the 12-24 should be different. (In all tests it was even slightly sharper than the 17-35).

I prefer the WATE to the 12-24, as it is much smaller, so I never tested the 12-24 in detail.

Regarding color: The SL sensor gives with Nikkor lenses maybe even slightly nicer colors than the D800 - but it is a matter of taste (and only a very small difference). While the Sonys have a clearly different color rendering.

If you already have the lens, buy an adapter for a few dollars to try it.

If you still have to buy it, the Canon 11-24 can be used with AF, but only with the expensive AF adapter (and the lens is also expensive). Maybe also the Sigma Art 12-24 works - but I found no clear statement regarding support.

Edited by steppenw0lf
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

As a follow up - for those pondering on using a Nikon E-lens on Leica SL - and assuming that the Nikon 300mm f4E PF is representative for the Nikon E-lenses:

The Novoflex SL/NIK adapter is (very) well produced and it works as announced, no problem. The autofocus is ok and useable, although a mix of auto and manual focus will be needed for general shooting. For each shot, the aperture blades closes and opens again, implying reduced shooting speed compared to native SL-lenses (or manual lenses). No problem for me, but this could possibly be a constraint for others.

Given the relative short and light-weight lens, the 300mm f4E PF will likely be my 'long' lens when hiking, possibly with a 1.4 converter attached. With the converter attached, the autofocus is less useable. The optical quality with the 1.4 converter seems fine, though.

Below a shot in light drizzle (f4,1/500s, ISO5000, handheld) - illustrating out-of-focus rendering of the lens.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4