Upgrading from 50mm Summicron DR to 50mm Summilux Type II

narn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm currently using a great copy of the 50mm Summicron DR on my M3; however, after upgrading to the 35mm Summilux on my M6, I've been spoiled by that extra stop and was wondering if it's worth upgrading to the 50mm Summilux Type II on the M3. I haven't seen a direct comparison between the two lenses, but what are people's thoughts on the two?

It is nice having that flexibility of focusing closer with the goggles (though I rarely use it...), but is the Summilux just the same as the Summicron at f2 and beyond? Is it worth upgrading just for that extra stop or am I going to get something else along with it?

I own the Summicron Rigid (non-DR but same optics)

and also a Summilux Type II (E43 Silver - Crinkle focus ring)

there is an ever so slight difference in ergonomics (weight and handling)

the rendering (color and contrast) is essentially the same with the Summicron Rigid being sharper at f2.0

In my own tests (nowhere near scientific) the lenses are similar beyond f2.8.

Sorry i don't have samples as my Summilux is currently at CLA with Youxin.

but you really can't go wrong with keeping the DR or going with the Lux.

I guess the question is that, would you sacrifice an ever so slight sharpness at 2.0 for the extra stop?

(though in terms of rarity and collectibility, it SEEMS like Summilux is more desirable in the used market)

• Like 1

I do not own the DR, but have the 50 Rigid Summicron as well as the Summilux Type II

Also, my experience with them is digital only, on M8 and M9. Maybe the differences on film will be perceived differently.

The 50cron seems a little bit greener than the 50lux to me. Sharpness is different, more business like with the summicron, more dreamy with the Summilux, even at F2.0 or F2.8

The expression painting with light applies more to the Summilux even stopped down a bit. It has more of an impressionistic feel to it... Hard to describe, but there is a difference to my eyes in the way 'light plays' through it compared to the Summicron where everything is more as it 'should' be but maybe lacking a bit of expression.

So if I want to capture the mood of the moment, I would choose the Summilux. If I want to display something with a lot of detail exactly as it was, the Summicron will probably do a better job.

Conclusion is that IMO the Summilux not only adds an extra stop, but a different character too, even when stopped down...

Edited by dpitt
  • Like 1

I own the Summicron Rigid (non-DR but same optics)

and also a Summilux Type II (E43 Silver - Crinkle focus ring)

there is an ever so slight difference in ergonomics (weight and handling)

the rendering (color and contrast) is essentially the same with the Summicron Rigid being sharper at f2.0

In my own tests (nowhere near scientific) the lenses are similar beyond f2.8.

Exactly my situation and exactly my feeling : "same lens at central apertures" .

I can add that the Out Of Focus (sorry, hate the term "b..h" ;) ) of the Summilux seems to me someway more "pleasant"... but this isn't based on side-by-side comparisions of same scene... so nothing scientific (a term that anyway doesn't fit this kind of feel)