Thinking of getting a Q and a simple Auto Review question

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello, 

After shooting Leica's film cameras for years, I'm thinking about switching over to the Leica Q. 

28mm is not my favorite focal length, my 35mm Summilux was my favorite lens, but perhaps I can get used to working close with a 28mm. I certainly love leaf shutters, and I'm excited about the possibility of photographing from my iPhone without raising the camera to my eye. 

One thing, I assume the Auto Review menu function has the possibility of bring turned off, doesn't it? I've read through the manual, but can't seem to find all possible menu options. I wouldn't want to waste even a second reviewing photographs on the street for fear of missing something else. 

Is there an updated manual or website that shows all of the new menu options taking into account the Firmware 2.0 enhancements? 

Best, 

Larry 

Yes, Auto Review can be turned off completely (I never use this function on any of my cameras). It can also be set to 1s, 3s, 5s, or Permanent. I have not yet found an updated manual.

I have to laugh at the Permanent option, which sounds like that will be the last image you'll ever see on the EVF. 

• Like 1

Yes, why couldn't they choose to say 'Off' instead of 'Permanent' :). Think must be German translation.

You will love the Q. I really bought it thinking I would not feel good about 28mm, but the more I use it .... feels right. But if they ever make a Q 50, will be first in line!

Yes, why couldn't they choose to say 'Off' instead of 'Permanent' :). Think must be German translation.

Because "Off" and "Permanent" are not the same!

Lets be clear about the options.  Off and permanent are two extreme ends of the auto review option menu and aren't the same..   Permanent is a "sticky ON" view of the frame just shot and it doesn't time out.  To shoot again requires a press of the shutter button to clear the auto review display.     If you don't want to have that permanent view, you can select a fixed time review period but additionally there is an "OFF" option and your last shot will not be displayed.  In this latter mode, your camera will always be ready for the next shot without having to half press the release button.  Thats what some users asked for in the last update.  

hope that helps.

Edited by lucerne
  • Like 2

You will love the Q. I really bought it thinking I would not feel good about 28mm, but the more I use it .... feels right. But if they ever make a Q 50, will be first in line!

Yeah, I would also be tempted by a 50mm version. I used to shoot with an M7 with a 35mm, and an M6 with a 50mm, and that was a great way to work. just switching cameras instead of switching lenses. ;-) 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Because "Off" and "Permanent" are not the same!

Lets be clear about the options. Off and permanent are two extreme ends of the auto review option menu and aren't the same.. Permanent is a "sticky ON" view of the frame just shot and it doesn't time out. To shoot again requires a press of the shutter button to clear the auto review display. If you don't want to have that permanent view, you can select a fixed time review period but additionally there is an "OFF" option and your last shot will not be displayed. In this latter mode, your camera will always be ready for the next shot without having to half press the release button. Thats what some users asked for in the last update.

hope that helps.

It is still poor use of the word "permanent". Ha ha ha ha. Edited by billinghambaglady