Erwin Puts, "Leica Lens Saga" - Book

Rick

Advertisement (gone after registration)

And what is the rate of acceleration/deceleration and does it vary from glass to glass?

In that a photon has zero theoretical mass, the acceleration or deceleration from one phase velocity to another in different refractive indices, will be instantaneous. 

Wilson

Received my copy today in America.   :)   Very nice book.  Some beautiful photo examples and lots of diagrams, geometric optics ray-tracings and a ton of formulas!  I feel like I'm back in optics class.  

Thank you Mr. Puts,

Rick

• Like 1

Received my book a few days ago, haven't read much, page 28 explains why autofocus lenses are much larger than manual.  I had always thought the bulk was for the motors but he says the optics must be corrected prior to the moving element(s) responsible for focus.    So far this book is well worth the price and beautifully bound and match the others in white.  

• 3 months later...

Any further feed back on this book, now that people have, presumably, had the time to read it?

It makes Edward Gibbons' History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire in six volumes, seem like light reading  :) I am reading it in bed at night but I keep falling asleep. Technically extremely dense would be a good description. Rather like Paul von Hasebroeck's books, I see it as more of a reference book than a reading book. One disappointment or omission, unless I have missed it, is that no mention is made of the 1999 year special edition series V Summicron in LTM (11819). I would have thought it warranted a line or two, as probably the last ever Leica LTM 50mm lens (I use one on my Reid & Sigrist III). 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw
  • Like 1

IMHO Puts's lens work is excellent, but his projections about where cameras are going and when he thinks works are more personal and I haven't agreed with much

no one is perfect but Puts is an important commentator on Leica

Quantum entanglement  :)

ah,  a fav topic of mine, glass refractions, the electrodynamics of substances with simultaneously negative values of epsilon and mu with quantum efficiency thresholds and excited-state relaxation dynamics utilising the theory of macroscopic canonical quantization in quantum optics and cavity quantum electrodynamics...

but is the Leica Forum ready for this ........

ah,  a fav topic of mine, glass refractions, the electrodynamics of substances with simultaneously negative values of epsilon and mu with quantum efficiency thresholds and excited-state relaxation dynamics utilising the theory of macroscopic canonical quantization in quantum optics and cavity quantum electrodynamics...

but is the Leica Forum ready for this ........

We're doing quite well with the entanglement bit, so far.

• Like 1