Erwin Puts, "Leica Lens Saga" - Book

Rick

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Being fairly new to Leica- three or four years- and not qualified, in any way, to criticize the knowledge level of one individual over another, I offer the following...to any who may be in my shoes, and wondering about Irwin Puts' books:

His books are unique and very readable. My favorite, so far, is Leica Practicum. I pack it whenever I go on the road, knowing, each night there will be an hour or so to give the book my full attention. Puts' writing is thoughtful and informative, but does not flow like a dime-store novel. I attribute this to the fact that he is attempting to relate complex ideas in a language not his own. If you have ever read Whitney's translation of Soltzhenitsyn's The Gulag Archipelago, you will get what I am speaking of. On the up side of this complex literary challenge, you get the benefit of receiving, in English, thoughts and interpretations from a person, not Anglo. His writing sometimes forces me to view the subject matter in ways unfamiliar; I am not certain if it is because of new approach, or just his unique capacity for translation from German to English. At any rate, if you are interested in photography, Puts' writings are, thorough, unique, and worth consideration.....You should have no trouble re-selling the book, should you decide you do not like it. I have ordered my copy of the new book.

Edited by Wayne
  • Like 1

At least his English is far better than the (supposedly professional) translations we see in LFI. As for proof reading, yes, getting rid of  typos and twisted grammar is not a job an author should tackle himself. We all tend to be blind to our own mistakes.

You are absolutely correct on this. I have spent many hours with Erwin some years ago while visiting with him at Photokina. Long before these books were written. He has an incredible amount of knowledge on the subject of optics and incredible insight into the process of lens design as practised at Leica. I had scheduled him to speak at the LHSA annual meeting in Chicago in 1999. Unfortunately, Erwin fell ill and would up in the hospital literally minutes before he was to speak. Hopefully, he can make the Chicago meeting next year to speak to us.

You could say I am biased, but the information contained in his books is not available anywhere else. Yes, it is hard going, but worth it. My copy of the Compendium has more book markers in it than any other book I have ever read as I go from one subject/section to another. There is no other comparable reference book on this subject.

As they say, the proof is in the pudding. Easy to criticize, but try doing it yourself. As editor of the LHSA Viewfinder, catching all of the typos, etc. is the hardest part of my job, and sometimes it is a bit hard when you are in the middle of the forest to see the trees! I did publish one of Erwin's articles some years ago, and editing it was no easy task.

• Like 5

I find his style of writing hard going and some of the points he makes are inaccurate at best and often just silly!

Each to their own of course.

TL;DR

;)

I may not buy the book, but Puts is a treasure. :)

Edited by uhoh7

Being fairly new to Leica- three or four years- and not qualified, in any way, to criticize the knowledge level of one individual over another, I offer the following...to any who may be in my shoes, and wondering about Irwin Puts' books:

His books are unique and very readable. My favorite, so far, is Leica Practicum. I pack it whenever I go on the road, knowing, each night there will be an hour or so to give the book my full attention. Puts' writing is thoughtful and informative, but does not flow like a dime-store novel. I attribute this to the fact that he is attempting to relate complex ideas in a language not his own. If you have ever read Whitney's translation of Soltzhenitsyn's The Gulag Archipelago, you will get what I am speaking of. On the up side of this complex literary challenge, you get the benefit of receiving, in English, thoughts and interpretations from a person, not Anglo. His writing sometimes forces me to view the subject matter in ways unfamiliar; I am not certain if it is because of new approach, or just his unique capacity for translation from German to English. At any rate, if you are interested in photography, Puts' writings are, thorough, unique, and worth consideration.....You should have no trouble re-selling the book, should you decide you do not like it. I have ordered my copy of the new book.

Well, actually he is Dutch, not German.

• Like 1

Well, actually he is Dutch, not German.

Let's put Waynes " mistake " into perspective. Dutch is the language of the Netherlands, and German is the language of a country which borders the Netherlands, which is only a few hundred kilometers broad. German is called Deutsch in German, which sound like the word " Dutch " with an extra  i : Duitch. I do not know the difference in language between Ohio and Kentucky.

Erwin is a nice guy who speaks and reads Dutch and German quite well, so maybe he thinks in German also a little during his translations onto English.

Mine arrived two days ago. I am having to keep a face flannel in the fridge to put on my forehead to cool my brain while reading it. Fairly dense chewy stuff but lots of gems contained in the text.  :ph34r:

Wilson

• Like 1

Can somebody more expert than me please explain? On page 57 he talks about "accelerating and decelerating" light rays. I always thought that the speed of light was a constant... :rolleyes:

Actually I think that he means phase shifting here...

Can somebody more expert than me please explain? On page 57 he talks about "accelerating and decelerating" light rays. I always thought that the speed of light was a constant... :rolleyes:

Actually I think that he means phase shifting here...

No, it isn't. The speed of light depends on the density of the medium it travels in, and it travels fastest in a vacuum. The refractive index of a glass directly depends on the speed the light reaches within that glass.

• Like 1

Remember Snell's Law.  When a wave (like light) passes across an interface between two media in which it travels at different speeds, it will bend to make the high and low spots match at the interface.  That's why you see things displaced when looking through an air/water interface and it is how lenses work.  Presumably, he is talking about how light is accelerated and decelerated as it passes through the different types of glass used in a modern lens.

scott

• Like 2