Erwin Puts, "Leica Lens Saga" - Book

Rick

Those wishing to complain about Puts, his style and content are free to ignore him and spend their cash on something less 'trivial'.

Perhaps they would like to spend years of research and write their own books on Leica gear instead of carping. 

I have great respect for his efforts providing a body of knowledge that is simply unobtainable elsewhere. 

If there are errors perhaps it would be more constructive to email him about them rather than muttering and criticising from the back of the hall.   :rolleyes:

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Those wishing to complain about Puts, his style and content are free to ignore him and spend their cash on something less 'trivial'.

Perhaps they would like to spend years of research and write their own books on Leica gear instead of carping. 

I have great respect for his efforts providing a body of knowledge that is simply unobtainable elsewhere. 

If there are errors perhaps it would be more constructive to email him about them rather than muttering and criticising from the back of the hall.   :rolleyes:

I agree and from reading the description of this volume, it should cover new ground.  It will be the third in what I believe is going to be a classic series of four books.  

I know some have commented here and trolled Erwin Puts that he needs an english speaking editor and he makes errors.  But, these are books written by one of the foremost experts of Leica cameras and lenses.  He is not a primary english speaking author.  For me, a few errors in grammar, punctuation and spelling are much preferred to having to read a translation to english.  I'm sure an english translation book would never be published so, I would never be able to enjoy his work otherwise. 

I also understand that Erwin Puts also mixes up things like descriptions on graphs and the reader has to be on their toes to catch these sorts of errors.  But, in total, this series is going to be a classic work and I believe those interested in Leica cameras and lenses are going to enjoy reading, owning and having this set in their library.

Again, just a heads-up for those folks interested.  I don't know the man.

Rick

• Like 4

I have copies of the Leica Lens Compendium and the Leica Compendium (by E. Puts).  I don't object to reading English that has strong Dutch/Germanic tendencies, as the meaning is always clear on technical points, at least.  But I wasn't intending to purchase any more, as I thought he'd passed along all the information I would ever need about present and past Leica products.  However, looking over the 30 pages of preview copy, I think this volume will have quite a bit of new stuff, even though it is only about 50 mm lenses.  He seems to go deeper into design approaches and compare the latest Leica designs with specific new lenses from Sigma and Zeiss.  So I have put down my deposit.

scott

• Like 1

I found a free download of the 2005 version of The Leica Compendium fairly easily...

http://leicarumors.com/2011/12/22/download-the-old-version-of-leica-lens-compendium-by-erwin-puts-for-free.aspx/

The 2005 Lens Compendium is here...

http://leicarumors.com/2011/12/22/download-the-old-version-of-leica-lens-compendium-by-erwin-puts-for-free.aspx/

I can't find the later editions, but this may be a help... or at least a starting point.

Edited by Bill Livingston

I found a free download of the 2005 version of The Leica Compendium fairly easily...

I can't find the later editions, but this may be a help... or at least a starting point.

Thanks Bill.  It's a great reference, and has many of the older lenses described too.  I've used this one for a couple of years now, mainly for that reason.

I like his language...but then I'm a pedant too... :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I didn't see any purpose of putting down a deposit, so I paid in full... 2 copies. Best reference books since the Leica manuals. When the fourth book is available I'll do the same. I expect it will cause quite a stir on this forum as his opinions often differ from many opinions expressed here.

Edited by LocalHero1953

Not a problem Paul... and sorry for repeating the same one twice. And of course I then found I couldn't edit it either!

They were useful for me, too. I hadn't downloaded them before either, so I took the opportunity to do so today and the PDF's are now safely in my iBooks in the Leica folder.

So thank you for reminding me of them... :)