Price on 50mm 0.95 Noctilux?

dancook

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Given that (depending on your access to funds) it's a fairly large investment, combined with a move to a rangefinder camera, it may be worth spending some time with a M before deciding on a Noctilux. Are you 'focused' first on the focal length, and then the max. aperture, or is it the other way round?

If you have the opportunity, some time spent with rentals may be a good investment - It tends to either diminish or amplify the GAS photons.

• Like 2

Given that (depending on your access to funds) it's a fairly large investment, combined with a move to a rangefinder camera, it may be worth spending some time with a M before deciding on a Noctilux. Are you 'focused' first on the focal length, and then the max. aperture, or is it the other way round?

If you have the opportunity, some time spent with rentals may be a good investment - It tends to either diminish or amplify the GAS photons.

Well I have a 28mm with my Leica Q, so a focal length of 50mm would complement it nicely... anything longer will not be suitable for general purpose.

I'm also a bokeh/dof fiend.. 

i'll see what rental options there are, but it's always seemed expensive in the past.

Well I have a 28mm with my Leica Q, so a focal length of 50mm would complement it nicely... anything longer will not be suitable for general purpose.

I'm also a bokeh/dof fiend.. 

i'll see what rental options there are, but it's always seemed expensive in the past.

Not as expensive as tying up money in a lens that you end up not using. I've used rentals on a few occasions to help convince me either to buy, or not buy. 1 day running around with a camera / lens combo can tell you a lot.

• Like 1

Not as expensive as tying up money in a lens that you end up not using. I've used rentals on a few occasions to help convince me either to buy, or not buy. 1 day running around with a camera / lens combo can tell you a lot.

Not sure how viable it will be, 

http://www.procentre.co.uk/rental-cameras-leica.php

day charge of £95+vat@20%+delivery for a m240 and they don't have a noctilux

there is always this

https://www.leica-storemayfair.co.uk/collections/akademie-workshops/products/leica-m-taster-get-hands-on-with-the-legendary-leica-m-and-discover-what-all-the-fuss-is-about

"I'm also a bokeh/dof fiend.."

Seems the Noctilux is your lens!

All the negative regarding price, size, and weight are all so true with this lens.

The Noctilux is the reason I first moved to the leica system.

That was in the 80's with the f1 Noctilux and now the .95

Also, I like to stay with the base ISO even in low light...

Edited by BITEMEDEA

The Leica hands-on looks like a good option, if you can manage it. You may even be able to convince them to let you try a Noctilux. The price is attractive...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You might find this Flickr group interesting. All shots with the 0.95

https://www.flickr.com/groups/1128253@N20/pool/

TBH I'm not blown away by them but then I'm sure there are better examples out there.

Flickriver is good for looking at the results for particular lenses too:

http://www.flickriver.com/lenses/leica/leicanoctilux50mmf0.95asph/

• Like 2

I had hankered after a Nocti for a couple years since getting my M9 and 50 Lux ASPH. I changed to an M240 last year after sensor corrosion with the M9 and after adding a couple of other lenses to get a decent kit

A couple months ago I gave in to the temptation as a mint Nocti came up at Classic Cameras in London so I went for it. After using it for a bit now I have to say that most of the time it is a bit of a liability to have with me due to weight, difficulty to focus at 0.95 (much much more difficult than the Lux at 1.4), terrible CA and the size taking away the stealth element which is so good about the M system. 

But, when it does deliver it is really really good. 

I am pleased I waited until I had a reasonably rounded kit before I got the Nocti as it is a bit of a one trick pony. The trick is a very good one but its not for every day. I used to carry a 1 series Canon with 24 to 70 or larger all day with no bother but the Nocti seems heavier, even though it isn't. Think about it carefully 

If you do it then enjoy but maybe better to try some other stuff first. 

Good luck!

• Like 3

When I started looking into Noctilux I saw that people using it on the Leica SL had a much easier time of focusing it. Then I saw the 50mm 1.4 was coming out for the Leica SL and thought maybe I might be better off with that...

So I am currently considering the Leica SL and it's 50mm 1.4 over the Noctilux at the moment.

When I started looking into Noctilux I saw that people using it on the Leica SL had a much easier time of focusing it. Then I saw the 50mm 1.4 was coming out for the Leica SL and thought maybe I might be better off with that...

So I am currently considering the Leica SL and it's 50mm 1.4 over the Noctilux at the moment.

Best to wait a bit and try them both out. Just speculation but I strongly doubt that at ƒ-stops wider than ƒ/2,8, these two beasts will render at all with any similarity. 

And while the SL's EVF is really a leap beyond the Sony (go and check them out side-by-side), it is still a very different experience than an OVF of a DSLR and especially that of a RF.

If after all this you remain convinced the Noctilux is for you, the SL is arguably the best platform at the moment for reliably, repeatedly and accurately achieving desired focus without the corner issues seen on the Sony.

Edited by james.liam
  • Like 3

All things said here about the Nocti are true. Its not small, not light and not easy to focus at f/.95 or f/1.0. But it is absolutely wonderful if you like the creamy images and style of the lens.

A lot depends on the use of it. If this is your prime street lens that you carry around all day as you blend in with your surroundings - I would not recommend it. I use a 35/1.4 pre ASPH for that. But at the weddings you shoot, in lower light, this lens will shine and bring that very special feeling to your images.

My past is with DSLR and heavy prime lenses as well and I find the m240/Nocti combi easy to carry around. Use the EVF to focus and your RF is no longer blocked. It is also much easier to focus which does not mean you get it right 100% of the time :)

This is a lens with a purpose that can be an every day lens if you commit to it. I picked up a f/1.0 (version 2) on Ebay in absolute mint condition (basically unused) and never looked back. I would recommend when you buy one to see and feel it before you send the $. 

Edited by DickieT
  • Like 2

Well, yes, it is a bit of a specialized lens. The faster and sharper the lens, the more purple CA you will see, especially on digital captures. Now the Noctilux is the fastest and sharpest @0.95, being the purple fringing king comes with the territory.

Fortunately it is easily corrected.