Any reason to own two lenses of the same focal length?

lylezanca

The 50mm Elmar-M is the lens most often on my M-A as it's a great performer and exceedingly compact.

However, especially with film, f/2.8 is sometimes just not fast enough - that alone is reason for me too have a faster 50mm to compliment the Emlar.

There are times when I like to use lenses with character ( e.g. the 50mm Sonnetar f/1.1 or 35mm f/1.4 Apoqualia ) or times when faster Leica glass with narrow depth of field and superb wide open performance is the choice.

I do not have a 50mm f/2 of any brand ; I feel it's not differentiated enough from the elmar : so my advice is keep one of the pair and try something really distinct as a second lens.

Edited by FrozenInTime
  • Like 1

Thanks to all of You, admitting to own more than one or two 50mm M-lenses!

I thought I was doing not right owning more of them than will fit into a photobag, now I know all's o.k.

:)

Thomas

From what I can gather, you don't have to worry until you have over 20 of them  :) 

Even then it's just a problem of using them all!

Edited by michaelwj

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would like to second the view that difference lens has different fingerprint even of the same focal length .... sharpness, tonal gradation, bokeh, depth of field etc etc.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I must have a dozen 50mm M lenses currently half of them i don't use anymore or randomly but i keep them for my heirs in case they would be interested... Maybe they will think of me for a second this way (sob)... Just kidding but there are at least five 50's i would never let go anyway: Leica 50/2.8 v2, 50/2 apo, 50/1.4 pre-asph, 50/1.4 asph and ZM 50/1.5. 

• Like 1