Leica T + Polarizer

Peter_S

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi!
I am thinking of replacing my M8 with a T, for various reasons. Now, I use polarizing filters a lot. On my Ms, I used two - one on the lens, one in front of the scenery.
Is the live view & display on the T good enough to judge the effect of the polarizer on the screen?

Peter

Hi!
Thanks, Gary!

I should have been more precise. One polarizer is on the lens. Since I cannot judge the effect looking through the RF window, I hold one another one (same make) between my eyes and the scenery, turn it so that that I have the desired effect, look at number on the ring, and transfer that to the polarizer on the lens. That works well, but it is rather slow.

Edited by Peter_S

Hi!

Thanks, Gary!

I should have been more precise. One polarizer is on the lens. Since I cannot judge the effect looking through the RF window, I hold one another one (same make) between my eyes and the scenery, turn it so that that I have the desired effect, look at number on the ring, and transfer that to the polarizer on the lens. That works well, but it is rather slow.

Wow, quite a setup, Peter! :)

I do have many filters for my manual lenses from the film era. As I am using my old manual lenses on my T, I was curious to see how my filters would work on a digital camera, and they do work fine. The polarizer works fine too, and you can perfectly see, without any problem, the changes on both the screen and the excellent EVF when you turn the polarizer ring.

But I must admit, I am not using my filters as often as I should because I can realize almost the same effects on Photoshop. More specially for B/W photography, as most of the filters are for. I can get a better result by converting my color files to B/W with Silver Efex.

The bottom line is; yes, polarizer works fine on T according to my own tests! :)

Edited by Louis

Peter,

I tried it just now, puffy cloud, with a few blue patches, and can confirm that it does work, and the effect is visible via the LCD. I don't have anything other than the LCD, I know Louis has the VisoFlex as well.

I'd echo Louis' comments though, I have never used any filter of any description with digital, it's so much simpler to do this after the event.

I had best intentions of shooting two shots, one with, one without the polarizing filter, and did this, but the auto side of the exposure made the shots "look similar", so no real gain. The filter looked like it soaked up a couple of stops of exposure.

My filter was an old Nikon 52mm Polarizing, whether it is Linear, or the more recent Circular, well it's anyone's guess, it wasn't marked either way.

Gary

I just have used Polarizer during 2 week vacation on the 18-56mm lens and it has worked quite well.

Yes you can see the effect in the viewfinder.

By the way there once was a Polarizer specifially for the M. You mount it on the lens, but can "flip" it in front of the viewfinder 180 degrees (= same effect).

I dont remember for what filter size it was build, I own one and can check if you are interested. I believe M39.

Best, Tom

Edited by tom0511
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you all!

That convinced me to give the T a try. I will pick one up next week. I need remote trigger-ability as well, so it ticked that box.
I use polarizers a lot and was never able to reproduce the effect in post-processing, particularly with moderate wide-angle (28mm-ish).

Thanks again, this is a great forum.

Peter

• 3 weeks later...

This thread (and peters polarizer techniques) reminds me of the Mamiya 6/7 Polarizer. It had the unique feature of being able to slide the filter from the lens, over to the rangefinder window. 

oishiijagaimo-img600x400-14331304452n7mq

So you can view the effects of the polarizer on the scene before slipping it back to the lens to shoot. Pretty cool.

Sorry to thread jack!

Edited by 2WK