Tell me about the Leica M4-2

kivis

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think the brass is nickel coated to give the chrome something to adhere to, which gives the bright sheen as it wears.

My M6 has worn through the nickel (I think it's nickel on the M6 too) in a few places, but it's really been loved (used). No brass there unfortunately, just zinc...

I'm on my second M4-2 and the only thing I can find wrong with it is the block that the sync terminals fix too is a composite material.

Apart from this it's as near to the M4 that I could find on dissembly. Mine was in realy ratty condition on my recieving it from France via the bay, it has cleaned up very well. It's my only Leica that I own at present.

Best,

normclarke.

Hello Pico,

What is a "protected" brass finish?

A durable clear coat of transparent paint. When/if it wears away it only reveals what is beneath, in our case of a brass Leica, it shows brass! Again.

Leica's engineers and designers must be a lot smarter then I am, hence no such finish has come about.

Edited by pico

Hello Again Pico,

Thank you for your answer.

I think that 1 reason that Leitz/Leica do not have a plain brass version is that brass exposed to the air tarnishes.

And I think that the brass under most brass clear covers eventually tarnishes.

And tarnish is not necessarily in keeping with the "precise/perfect" image that Leitz/Leica are known for.

Altho, if you asked Leica in their "Ala Carte" Department you might be pleasantly surprised with what they might say.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

What does that mean? And BTW is this a photo of an M4-2?

Looks a lot like one... but no sign of the LEICA and M4-2 engravings on the front... which is odd.... and it could have been recovered, the signs of the three screws on the left (as you look at it) are there, but not really very prominent... normally you see the screw heads clearly.

Makes me wonder... Can the OP please let us know...?

Easy to remove - I have an M4 with no self-timer (nor frame selector!).

Yes. But I only rarely use the self-timer and have never missed it on the M4-2, M4-P, or M6 bodies.

My post was only answer to Bill's question, must be a M4!

But a cam without frameselector? Jee, what do you guys fiddle with???

One of my most beloved cams is my Nikon F2: so many knobs to turn, so many finders to change, so many drives and battery holders, that aperture automatic drive - who needs a cam ONLY TO TAKE PICS??

;) Thomas

Edited by duckrider
  • Like 1

Jee, what do you guys fiddle with???

Its fundamental idleness - simply cannot be bothered with changing things. At least exposure can be pre-set using the sunny 16 system, then all I have to do is focus and press the shutter release ;) .

I've got a chrome M4-2 that has always worked fine for me. Love it!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1