New stuff for Leica S at Photokinia

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

+1, for S007, I would do LV every single time if the shot is important. I would not dare to rely on that info on top LCD. I don't even know how that info generated? Based on what? I mean the distance info. If it is based on its AF, then I don't trust it. If it is based on physical location of coupling of lens then it is depend on lens tolerance.

For S006, this is moot point.

One of the annoying things I see when using the LV on my S007 is when I want to fine tune the AF the bloody thing zooms in and never where I want to nail the focus...........righ pain in the arse...............because of this I tend to not use LV very much unless I am using AF

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

+1, for S007, I would do LV every single time if the shot is important. I would not dare to rely on that info on top LCD. I don't even know how that info generated? Based on what? I mean the distance info. If it is based on its AF, then I don't trust it. If it is based on physical location of coupling of lens then it is depend on lens tolerance.

For S006, this is moot point.

+1. A game changer indeed, extremely practical and works like a charm every time - except when you have the camera in horizontal position very high on a tripod. It would be great to be able to see that info on demand on the new info screen as well.

Best,

Vieri

You can always stand on a box :)

Hi Vieri,

very good points on your wish list:

- I fear, the 60 sec limitation will not go away if the sensor maker does not get it right in a future iteration, but it is a PITA for landscape photographers

- The exposure compensation in A, they did finally implement it in the M, after a lot of client feed back, come on Leica, the S needs this, too

I would add to the wish list:

- Focus stacking tool, which automates the shooting sequence with variable AF steps (P1 has it)

- EFC, this is important, especially for focal plane MF

- More resolution on LCD screen (at least 1,3 MP), sharpness control in LV is really difficult, compare this to Nikon D810 or latest Canon EOS, no comparison

- Tilt screen …. my knees are hurting

Most of these features would be interesting for landscape and nature photographers, as me, but I have a strong feeling they don't think much about this group of photographers ...

siddharta,

I think that:

- The 60 sec limitation for long exposures could be lifted in FW if they wanted to. Noise to me shouldn't be difficult to control, the 007 is already doing a pretty good job, and most of us would even prefer to have the option to turn noise control off.

- The exposure compensation in A mode has been done in the SL, and I really think Leica should make the S and the SL as identical in use as possible. People like me who has both would certainly appreciate it, and since the UI is identical it would make sense that both cameras worked in exactly the same way.

About your other suggestions, focus stacking could probably be done in FW, while for the others we shall wait for the new model. I think it would be great to keep two lists - FW doable mods and new hardware related ones - and perhaps moderators could pin a thread for each here so Leica could easily keep an eye on what the forum feels is needed.

Best,

Vieri

• Like 1

One of the annoying things I see when using the LV on my S007 is when I want to fine tune the AF the bloody thing zooms in and never where I want to nail the focus...........righ pain in the arse...............because of this I tend to not use LV very much unless I am using AF

Are you using the cursor?  I know you've seen David's video...    

Jeff

• Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Yes but when It zooms in you get lost where you want to focus on.

Example when you want to zoom in on someone eye and the next thing you see is a chair leg it takes a while to find the eye....... if you know what I mean

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Are you using the cursor?  I know you've seen David's video...    

Jeff

Mate

I just watched the video again and I can see where I screwed up, I have my auto zoom on and I should have it off...........Thanks again Jeff.

• Like 1

well, after reading more posts in this thread I'm a bit surprised about the statements on the AF here. Using a S2 since the beginning I have to say that the AF ist the most precise AF I've ever had (compared to: D810D, Sony A7r and A7R2, SL), but I agree that one single center AF is a bit akward today. I also had an issue with the AF of the 30-90 with a lot of hassle with the service. But it's the most reliable system for me, still working strong with very good results.

What intrigues me more, is the upcomming of the SL which obviously takes on the development resources. With the 4 lenses anounced for the SL, I don't see any news for the S, and I was hoping for something like a Summilux 70 for the S. I was also hoping for a kind of S-SL with EVF and contrast AF, but after testing the S-adapter for the SL I understand this will not work. This said, I think the biggest concurrence for the S ist actually the SL. I'm also intrigued by the new optical design of the SL Summilux 50, as we don't have anything equal for the S, the Summicron 100 has a much more classical lens-design.

This said, the concurrence for the S comes, IMHO, also from the Sony-Zeiss and Sony G primes, which are excelent, and have an aperture-ring, an AF-MF switch, faboulous built quality, and after all you can buy three of each to equal the price of a S or SL lens.