New stuff for Leica S at Photokinia

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Had another call today from Leica as a followup to my previous question regarding the S180mm lens. I was told that there will be a package released at Photokina just for the S users..............I won't elaborate on it, but I think it will make a lot of S shooters very happy and potentially bring a bunch more professional photographers into the S system

Happy I made the move to the S007 when I did :) :) :)

Well, the package looks probably as follows: S Typ 007 plus protection plan plus second battery plus pro charger for one set (lower) price :)

It'll need to be a LPS (Leica professional Service) package if they expect to increase marketshare. Loan cameras/lenses for repairs plus worldwide expedited repairs and shipping rather than the several months we wait now. If we get that I *might* look at a type 007 (or 008 if it's 50mp +).

until then my lowly S2 will have to do.

Gordon

• Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

It'll need to be a LPS (Leica professional Service) package if they expect to increase marketshare. Loan cameras/lenses for repairs plus worldwide expedited repairs and shipping rather than the several months we wait now. If we get that I *might* look at a type 007 (or 008 if it's 50mp +).

until then my lowly S2 will have to do.

Gordon

Gordon.

Have you been snooping on me :) :) 

• Like 1

It's one thing to have a plan; it's another to implement it effectively.  Leica has Protection Plans now.....they just don't work for the average Joe. We shouldn't need to be professionals to get professional treatment.

Let's hope Leica delivers....for all customers....without paying an arm and a leg.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Had another call today from Leica as a followup to my previous question regarding the S180mm lens. I was told that there will be a package released at Photokina just for the S users..............I won't elaborate on it, but I think it will make a lot of S shooters very happy and potentially bring a bunch more professional photographers into the S system

Happy I made the move to the S007 when I did :) :) :)

Is this relevant to S007 users only, or for all S users (including S2, S2P, S006)?

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Is this relevant to S007 users only, or for all S users (including S2, S2P, S006)?

my gut feeling it's just for the 007 users. Reason being is most of the older S cameras are more than 1 year old

It would be kind of like a pro shooting a Nikon D4 expecting Nikon to give them a replacement because there camera crapped out in the middle of a shoot. I would expect Nikon turn round and say buy a new one.

Edited by Neil D

my gut feeling it's just for the 007 users. Reason being is most of the older S cameras are more than 1 year old

It would be kind of like a pro shooting a Nikon D4 expecting Nikon to give them a replacement because there camera crapped out in the middle of a shoot. I would expect Nikon turn round and say buy a new one.

I see, thank you. I am thinking of upgrading, but I also played a bit with the X1D and its IQ is impressive even at iso 3200 or even 6400, so I am waiting to see how it will affect Leica S prices

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I see, thank you. I am thinking of upgrading, but I also played a bit with the X1D and its IQ is impressive even at iso 3200 or even 6400, so I am waiting to see how it will affect Leica S prices

the problem is, I like many others have invested a lot of money in the S system ~$50k that is probably only worth a quater of that now. My thinking is I now have there current best S camera and 3 lenses that have all been upgraded with the latest AF system, so I'm good to go. If I was someone thinking of buying into the S system now I would think twice. In fact I would be having a serious look at the H6D system if I were you.

Interesting to describe "Older" as being more than 1 year old. (WTF!)

You're probably right that Nikon wouldn't provide a replacement ... but last time I looked, Nikon didn't have the 100% failure rate with lenses that some S users have experienced.  

• Like 1

the problem is, I like many others have invested a lot of money in the S system ~$50k that is probably only worth a quater of that now. My thinking is I now have there current best S camera and 3 lenses that have all been upgraded with the latest AF system, so I'm good to go. If I was someone thinking of buying into the S system now I would think twice. In fact I would be having a serious look at the H6D system if I were you.

There in lies the rub. The only way to reap any return on investment with an existing $50K+  S kit  is to soldier on with it.  

BTW, I wouldn't be too sure about being "good to go" since there are now reports of secondary failures of the AF already repaired.

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/leica/59271-leica-service-6.html

As much as I LOVE the images from my S(006) system, I'd tend to agree with the advice to look elsewhere IF you seek any sort of reliable MF equipment whether for Pro use of those enthusiast images where the shooting experience cannot be easily duplicated. Of my array of lenses, the only one that hasn't failed is the S-100/2, (which, unfortunately, I consider a "WHEN" not "IF" situation). Leica has some "splaining to do" and actions to take before rebuilding a trust factor with its S owners. 

While any maker is subject to issues and exceptions to the rule, my personal experience with Hasselblad over a decade of pro and personal use and many evolutionary body upgrades, plus a wide range of lenses, resulted in 2 notable failures: 1) I had to have a heavily used, 8 year old HC-100/2.2 AF gear replaced because it had slowed down and seemed rough sounding. Less than a 3 weeks and $500 ... and it is still working perfectly for the person I sold it to. 2) Early on, Hasselblad tried a H2D/22 that shot native DNGs. It was buggy. They apologized, replaced the camera immediately, and discontinued that model. 

- Marc

• Like 3

I sense the end of the S System. No one wants to touch it now with these issues and there will not be an update for some time. Even if they came out with a protection plan, it's not going to help you when you are in the middle of a shoot, or a trip, or holiday, which is what is happening to people. Why would anyone entertain that risk?

Sadly, I'm sure the low volume sales have something to do with Leica's lack of attention to the matter. With such an excessive failure rate, if there were more users, Leica would have more pressing need to rectify the issue with the required urgency or face a class action law suit. It seems inexcusable to me that people should have to wait 3 months for a fix, only to have the same fate suffered again. I feel sorry for those who have invested so heavily in such an expensive system to have what is essentially lame and unreliable stock that happens to take nice pictures when it works.

Edited by thestatesman

I feel sorry for those who have invested so heavily in such an expensive system to have what is essentially lame and unreliable stock that happens to take nice pictures when it works.

It's been 3 years I'm using the s system (1st 2 years with the S2 and now the S007 for almost a full year). I'm also using 5 different S lenses (30 / 35CS / 45 /70CS / 120CS).

As for today I had 1 AF failure, my last purchased 35CS was DOA. AF replaced within 2 weeks (15 days to be more accurate).

I've started using an H3D-22 camera. The body failed and the central shutter of my HC100mm too, within 6 months of use. I move to Phase 1 and experienced many issues with the DF camera + 1 AF issue with my 80m lens....

I'm no pro but still uses my S gear in every conditions (studio, backpack on top of a Volcano, during rainy days) and feel extremely confortable using this S system.

I've thought about selling it several times but cannot think about a better fit for my use (Hassy X1D with a digital viewfinder, no thanks).

So I suppose I also have the right to say that 'I feel happy for those who have invested so heavily in such an expensive system to have what is essentialy the best possible flexible medium format camera on the market today'.

Happy users do exist...

• Like 5

Leica's response is maddening, but there are happy (or lucky) users. I've used five S lenses, two borrowed and my own three were bought used. I've had zero problems (ok, infinity focus in low light needs manual checking) but haven't had the system long and have only taken a few thousand shots.. My friend who has shot hundreds of thousands of shots on his S system has had one focus motor die. My experience with Schneider tech cam lenses was worse. And Sony lenses were bad out of the box so often that I dropped the system.

I'm sure when one of my own lenses dies, I'll feel a lot less infatuated with the S. Until then, it remains the camera I've most wanted to pick up and use EVER.

My 2p,

Matt

• Like 5

"As much as I LOVE the images from my S(006) system, I'd tend to agree with the advice to look elsewhere IF you seek any sort of reliable MF equipment whether for Pro use of those enthusiast images where the shooting experience cannot be easily duplicated. Of my array of lenses, the only one that hasn't failed is the S-100/2, (which, unfortunately, I consider a "WHEN" not "IF" situation). Leica has some "splaining to do" and actions to take before rebuilding a trust factor with its S owners.

- Marc"

Hi Marc and everyone else, I don't want to stray too far off-topic, but has Leica marked repaired lenses in any way (such as adding an asterisk to the serial number, etc.)?

the S-T adapter though is still made of Unobtainium and BHPhoto shows it will cost USD 1250 when released!

I got the 24-90

Are you talking about the S-Adaptor L? I've had mine for nearly a month. I know Leica Australia (I was in a store today) and B&H in the US haven't seen one but they are available in stores in Europe.

Although it works just fine it's not going to make S lenses a replacement for SL natives. AF is not "rapid" by any stretch. The Novoflex is a better option for that.

Anyhoo..... back on topic:

I do hope Leica do something for the S at PK. Regardless of the X1D, I'm actually more interested in a new S body because there's already a selection of lenses available. I know there's been AF failures (I've had one already) but it's a well known fault and a redesigned 10c part would solve it. If the S007 isn't upgraded I may go that way anyhow, although I don't think it's worth what they want for a new one. I own a 645Z system but often reach for the S2 anyway. However even with the same sensor, if Leica offered an EVF version at a reduced price (mirrors and prisms are expensive), like a MF version of the SL, I would find that very hard to resist, just because I can get every lens I want today and have that sharing of lenses and flashes with the SL and M.

Gordon

Guest chipcarterdc

All I want is: A new line of S Mk II lenses, with (1) faster and (2) more reliable AF motors, (3) offered to existing S lens owners as a free upgrade or free trade-in.

I am firmly in the anti-EVF camp and hope that they either do not make an EVF S body at all, or if they do, make it in the form of an X1D type S-mount body, while leaving the current S body in production as is.

Edited by chipcarterdc
  • Like 2