New stuff for Leica S at Photokinia

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Had another call today from Leica as a followup to my previous question regarding the S180mm lens. I was told that there will be a package released at Photokina just for the S users..............I won't elaborate on it, but I think it will make a lot of S shooters very happy and potentially bring a bunch more professional photographers into the S system

Happy I made the move to the S007 when I did :) :) :) 

• Like 4

Had another call today from Leica as a followup to my previous question regarding the S180mm lens. I was told that there will be a package released at Photokina just for the S users..............I won't elaborate on it, but I think it will make a lot of S shooters very happy and potentially bring a bunch more professional photographers into the S system

[emoji4]

Mos

Most likely a technical camera/mirror less with S mount that can do shifting or tilting in collaboration with sinar. Using S cmos sensor.

Pairing this with the S SLR format will be a great tool for landscape and architecture. But wait. S lens image circle is too small for shifting on the cropped medium format S sensor. So maybe the new sinar body is only a m240 sensor.

Edited by xiaubauu2009

Advertisement (gone after registration)

MosMost likely a technical camera/mirror less with S mount that can do shifting or tilting in collaboration with sinar. Using S cmos sensor.

Pairing this with the S SLR format will be a great tool for landscape and architecture. But wait. S lens image circle is too small for shifting on the cropped medium format S sensor. So maybe the new sinar body is only a m240 sensor.

My guess......

A combination of the Leica SL, a very portable and tripod able Sinar adapter/ body with movements (like an HT/S from Hasselblad or the Alpa solution with the FTS) and an electronic coupling with Leica S-lenses and/or third party mounts and lenses seems more likely. Sinar will probably also update the backs to CMOS with live view, good ISO, DR and new sensors (S-quality but 50 MP) and introduce new MF-lenses (hopefully UWA) with an electronic shutter. The new Sinarbacks will also be usable with the Sinar body and S-lenses, I suspect.......

All a question of interchangeable lens boards and electronic connections with lenses and backs

Edited by AndreasAM

My guess......

A combination of the Leica SL, a very portable and tripod able Sinar adapter/ body with movements (like an HT/S from Hasselblad or the Alpa solution with the FTS) and an electronic coupling with Leica S-lenses and/or third party mounts and lenses seems more likely. Sinar will probably also update the backs to CMOS with live view, good ISO, DR and new sensors (S-quality but 50 MP) and introduce new MF-lenses (hopefully UWA) with an electronic shutter. The new Sinarbacks will also be usable with the Sinar body and S-lenses, I suspect.......

All a question of interchangeable lens boards and electronic connections with lenses and backs

Very likely.

The sneakpeak photos Leica show is a Sinar body, slim, and has a screen on it, so I think there's a good chance it will have a CMOS built in to the body. What size is up to debate. I personally think it should be an SL/M240 sensor, so it won't be high pixel count like those 50mp. The S sensor will not make any sense as it will not allow any or much moment on using S lens. But yes, it might allow some movement for using the R PC lens. I have a FPS with Canon mount plate and Credo 50 back. They are wonderful machines abeit that the image quality suffers quite a bit at corners, the TS-E 17mm is probably the widest lens on a Medium format, that still allow for movement on a 44x33 sensor.

Yes, Alpa FPS allows me to use Canon TS-E 17mm f4L with full sensor coverage of 36.7 x 49.1mm ..............

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Yes, Alpa FPS allows me to use Canon TS-E 17mm f4L with full sensor coverage of 36.7 x 49.1mm ..............

Does the TS-E 17 have sufficient image circle for much movement on the Sinar with a MF back, Patrick. I have the TS-E 24, and it starts vignetting at about 10mm of its 12mm movement on a FF camera.

Does the TS-E 17 have sufficient image circle for much movement on the Sinar with a MF back, Patrick. I have the TS-E 24, and it starts vignetting at about 10mm of its 12mm movement on a FF camera.

The image circle of TS-E 17mm f4L is 67.2mm ... it is enough to cover 61.2 mm requirement of my Hasselblad CFV-50 sensor (36.7x49 mm) with room of 6mm movement ............ Actually it only concerns sensor or film format disregard using Sinar or Alpa cameras, for 6x6 MF (i.e. 57x57mm), it requires field coverage of 80.1mm without movement

Besides, the vignetting for 12mm movement on FF camera may be due to geometric path differences between center ray and corner ray, this is the reason why center grey filter is requirement to compensate

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/details/lenses/ef/tilt-shift/ts-e-17mm-f-4l

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by amoebahydra
  • Like 1

The image circle of TS-E 17mm f4L is 67.2mm ... it is enough to cover 61.2 mm requirement of my Hasselblad CFV-50 sensor (36.7x49 mm) with room of 6mm movement ............ Actually it only concerns sensor or film format disregard using Sinar or Alpa cameras, for 6x6 MF (i.e. 57x57mm), it requires field coverage of 80.1mm without movement

Besides, the vignetting for 12mm movement on FF camera may be due to geometric path differences between center ray and corner ray, this is the reason why center grey filter is requirement to compensate

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/details/lenses/ef/tilt-shift/ts-e-17mm-f-4l

Thank you, Patrick.

• Like 1