3 lenses for Santorini & Mykonos trip

viboons

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If your daughter is not into photography then just bring your phone and leave the camera at home. She will be drive mad if you are off taking photographs the whole time so just use your phone to take momentos of the trip.

I found out the hard way when I took my Leica kit on holidays with my wife. I ended up with a broke TV. All vision and no sound!  :wub:

• Like 2

I am just back from Santorini (posted today in the Leica S part of this forum).

If one lens, as suggested by the first answer to your post, I would for sure go with something wider than 35mm. I'd say 28mm as being the most flexible.

If you're ok to take three lenses, than I'd recommend you go 21mm, 50mm and 90mm.

The widest I had was equivalent 24mm and I'll take something wider next time.

That is really an amazing place :-)

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

35mm was nice for this trip. We brought back good photos. Thank you for the comments. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 14

Bring only one. The 35 or 50 and enjoy your trip and life [emoji1]

When we went to Ireland this past June, I took my whole M kit.  The secrets to not making my wife a photography widow (and therefore unhappy) were these:

1 - When you get ready to shoot, pick one lens and shoot the hell out of your subject matter with the one lens.  Trying to capture one subject with 50 different lenses is a waste of time and an exercise in futility as well as a sourse of endless spousal exasperation, and

2 - Minimize the use of a tripod as much as possible; use a monopod as much as possible.

Having three or four optics and a tripod along for the trip is not what causes family members heartache and takes the joy out of traveling with a spouse who is a photographer; it's the endless screwing with gear that causes misery for others.  That's been my experience, at least.

• Like 4

Thank you for all comments and the photo posted. The wide angle lenses should be good for landscape and also in the narrow street there. I will bring my small and light 21mm F4 VM and 35mm Summilux FLE. I may not bring the third lens and enjoy the DD trip more, as you guy suggested. 

Considering the 21 is tiny, a third lens would not be too terrible to carry, if not large. 

If you have a 90TE, Macro Elmar, or even the summarit, it's not too bad. The smallest lightest lens in the 90 area is the Canon 100/3.5, which is cheap and very strong. Calibration can be an issue though.

24697585983_19b23d6203_c.jpg

100/3.5 by unoh7, on Flickr

Edited by uhoh7
  • Like 2

Considering the 21 is tiny, a third lens would not be too terrible to carry, if not large. 

If you have a 90TE, Macro Elmar, or even the summarit, it's not too bad. The smallest lightest lens in the 90 area is the Canon 100/3.5, which is cheap and very strong. Calibration can be an issue though.

Post #45......trip is over.

Jeff

When we went to Ireland this past June, I took my whole M kit.  The secrets to not making my wife a photography widow (and therefore unhappy) were these:

1 - When you get ready to shoot, pick one lens and shoot the hell out of your subject matter with the one lens.  Trying to capture one subject with 50 different lenses is a waste of time and an exercise in futility as well as a sourse of endless spousal exasperation, and

2 - Minimize the use of a tripod as much as possible; use a monopod as much as possible.

Having three or four optics and a tripod along for the trip is not what causes family members heartache and takes the joy out of traveling with a spouse who is a photographer; it's the endless screwing with gear that causes misery for others.  That's been my experience, at least.

While I agree too many lenses and a tripod  are unnecessary distractions. Traveling with others is always a balance.....My wife likes to shop......and is very happy I like to go off  and shoot photos.

I've made some fine photos near shopping areas and street bazaars. My interest in Art and Photography has made me slow down and smell the roses, a trait I think my wife appreciates ....at least that's what she tells me ?

Edited by ECohen
  • Like 3

My favorite trip in the past few years was a visit to Istanbul with nothing more that a Ricoh GR and an iPhone.

Agonizing less about kit and engaging more in the journey itself will invariably lead you to "see" more interesting potential images.

I brought my iPhone too. This image was from iPhone.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

Well, I can congratulate you on your low contrast lens kit :-)).

I can tell you that your Summicron 4th is way lower in contrast as the ASPH or the C-Biogon or the Lux ASPH.

I have one and sold the Lux FLE. I have also the C-Biogon.

And I can't see how a higher contrast lens can differentiate finer gradations in tone better, than a lower contrast one. I really can't. Try to increase contrast in Lightroom in any picture any picture and you'll see fine gradations dissapear.

In order to understand that you would need to understand that the definition of high-contrast as it applies to a lens is the exact opposite of the definition of high-contrast as it applies to film and paper.   

• Like 1

My favorite trip in the past few years was a visit to Istanbul with nothing more that a Ricoh GR and an iPhone.

Agonizing less about kit and engaging more in the journey itself will invariably lead you to "see" more interesting potential images.

Starting to agree with this more and more. On last trip I mostly used my Q. Next trip I'm thinking about leaving the M home and going with Q, iPhone & GoPro.

So photos with Q or iPhone when not taking the Q with me. And some video with GoPro. Not big on video, but I've made some fun stories with it from last trips and it's also nice since no need to worry taking it to the beach etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro