3 lenses for Santorini & Mykonos trip

viboons

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Be brave. 21mm only. :)

I once did a week trip with only a 21 and it opened my eyes to the possibilities. It was hard at first, I'd usually take a 35 only on a trip like that, but I'm glad I did it. I'd do it again if my 21 was faster. 3.4 is a bit limiting when it starts to get dark. Actually I'd still do it again. :)

Edited by michaelwj
  • Like 1

Personally I would choose from your equipment: 35 & 90 (my prefered travelling team is: Cron 35 asph - current ver. & Cron 75 APO, but you haven't 75).

If one only: 35.

If three: 21, 35, 90 or: 21, 40, 90.

Four? Definitely never, even for short & easy travel. :)

• Like 2

Man, this thread has become a mess.

Just like the ones when a person asks for which best possible lens to buy and then people recommend voigtlanders and russian lenses just because they own them...

How is it a mess?

The OP stated up-front, "I have 21mm, 25mm, 35mm, 40mm, 50mm, 90mm, some with modern rendering high contrast and also some with classic rendering low and medium contrast.

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just like the ones when a person asks for which best possible lens to buy and then people recommend voigtlanders and russian lenses just because they own them...

You do seem to spend some time reading threads you don't like, and don't have anything positive to contribute to. There is a fairly simple solution to that, and it would allow you to put your abilities and experience to better use.

• Like 2

Hey, if you don't like it just skip over it. No one is asking you to read it. Not all posts are for you, or me. New York is not for everyone either.

Bye!

Edited by DTM
  • Like 2

Thank you for all comments and the photo posted. The wide angle lenses should be good for landscape and also in the narrow street there. I will bring my small and light 21mm F4 VM and 35mm Summilux FLE. I may not bring the third lens and enjoy the DD trip more, as you guy suggested. 

Edited by viboons
  • Like 5

Hey, if you don't like it just skip over it. No one is asking you to read it. Not all posts are for you, or me. New York is not for everyone either.

Bye!

What a useless lesson.

I hate new york and I love going there. See what I did there?

Thank you for all comments and the photo posted. The wide angle lenses should be good for landscape and also in the narrow street there. I will bring my small and light 21mm F4 VM and 35mm Summilux FLE. I may not bring the third lens and enjoy the DD trip more, as you guy suggested.

Good choices, especially if you've got a good copy of the CV.

• Like 2

My essential travel kit is the CV 21mm f/4 M-mount, 35 Summicron IV, and "thin" 90 T-E.  There's nothing I have wanted to shoot in most travel locations which that kit couldn't handle, and they are the lightest, smallest lenses of their focal lengths I own, and all use 39mm filters. 

The 35, ideally  with low contrast, is what you need.

The colors in Santorini and Mykonos are mostly white and blue. Sun may be strong, so you really need a low contrast lens, especially with a digital sensor

Anything other is superfluous.

That ^ is actually a common misconception.  High-contrast lenses are able to differentiate finer gradations in tone, exactly what you want when the scene threatens to exceed the latitude of the film or sensor.  Low-contrast lenses are usually low-contrast due to internal flare, which is exactly what you don't want in bright sun with narrow-latitude film or sensors.

• Like 3

That ^ is actually a common misconception. High-contrast lenses are able to differentiate finer gradations in tone, exactly what you want when the scene threatens to exceed the latitude of the film or sensor. Low-contrast lenses are usually low-contrast due to internal flare, which is exactly what you don't want in bright sun with narrow-latitude film or sensors.

Well, I can congratulate you on your low contrast lens kit :-)).

I can tell you that your Summicron 4th is way lower in contrast as the ASPH or the C-Biogon or the Lux ASPH.

I have one and sold the Lux FLE. I have also the C-Biogon.

And I can't see how a higher contrast lens can differentiate finer gradations in tone better, than a lower contrast one. I really can't. Try to increase contrast in Lightroom in any picture any picture and you'll see fine gradations dissapear.

Increasing contrast in Lightroom has nothing to do with the ability of the lens to render tonal values. Comparison: A high-end phono cartridge will differentiate instruments much more clearly than a lesser one, but whether you twiddle the volume, bass or treble controls  or run the signal through an equalizer will not change the differentiation.

Basically a high-contrast lens will be more precise, render more tonal values, but those subtleties are more difficult to get into the print than the limited values of a low-contrast lens. Hence the myth.

• Like 5

Thank you for all comments and the photo posted. The wide angle lenses should be good for landscape and also in the narrow street there. I will bring my small and light 21mm F4 VM and 35mm Summilux FLE. I may not bring the third lens and enjoy the DD trip more, as you guy suggested. 

I have just jumped on this topic... Santorini is in my hearth for I was there in 1985 (!) and ... well  they were happy years of my Youth :) : in photographic terms (I have some good 20x25 prints) they were my "LTM-not-yet-M" times... and took with me IIIC with a typical set 28-50-135 (Summaron Elmar Hektor) : the result was that 135 was used for 2 or 3 not so good shots, 50 was most used and in many 28 shots I would have liked to have something even wider... so, personally, I completely approve your decision on 21+35.   About light... I seem to remember that was better to avoid central day hours... as in many mediterranean locations, morning and evening give you the best tones.

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 2

Thank you for all comments and the photo posted. The wide angle lenses should be good for landscape and also in the narrow street there. I will bring my small and light 21mm F4 VM and 35mm Summilux FLE. I may not bring the third lens and enjoy the DD trip more, as you guy suggested.

Spot on in my mind! And it seems that quite a few in this thread agree as well!

Enjoy your trip!

Edited by Stein K S
  • Like 2