Best digital body for R lenses

bscott

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I know this has been discussed over and over but I would like to know the current thinking on which body is best for the R lenses.  I have both M and R glass and would like to use them all and I'm not wanting to change the lens mount to the camera body.  Thanks for your comments.

The Leica SL, with Leica R adapter is the only body (except for the M typ 240) that provides in-camera lens corrections for R lenses, and is probably the best choice.

I am too cheap for that, and started using my R lenses on a Sony A7 before the SL came out. It's not built as solid as a Leica, but I've used R lenses from 24 to 400 mm on it and have been very pleased. The EVF on either the SL or A7 (series) is better for focusing manual lenses than any dSLR I've tried.

Edited by TomB_tx
  • Like 1

Not to be too picky, but best can be measured a lot of ways....delivers the best contrast and resolution, is easiest to operate, has the shortest shutter release time, easy to use controls, full frame vs cropped, and on and on. I don't know that what is best for me is best for you. I haven't tried the Sonys, but have become very comfortable with the Olympus m4/3 cropped models; admitting most of my shooting is at the longer end of the FL scale.

• Like 2

If you don't mind the weight and size the R8/DMR and R9/DMR are still the best solution IMO.

Used my R lenses on Olympus 4/3 (PEN), Fuji XE-1, Canon 5D, Leica M240 and Nikon D800(fitted 50mm with lei tax to experiment)

All of these are a compromise in one way or the other. Some perform well for the money invested. I paricularly liked the results for macro with the Olympus. But in the end, the best pictures ever with R lenses came from the old (Hasselblad made) 11MP 1,37 cropped sensor of the DMR. Focussing was easiest with the georgious R8 viewfinder and the weight balance was perfect with the larger tele lenses like my 280mm APO Telyt F2.8

Arguably the M240 came in closest, or even bettered the DMR, but the combination with VF2 as viewfinder and small form factor was not practical for large tele's IMO.

The D800 was second best I tried, and had the right balance, but requires a refit of the bajonet. Not an option withthe R collection I have.

I have good hopes for the Leica SL to really be the R digital solution, I was waiting for. If it is within your budget, I would not hesitate. Form factor, weight, sharpness, correction, viewfinder for manual focus... everything is there.

• Like 2

For full frame I have been using Roptics on the Canon with the proper focussing screen. Its viefinder brightness is nowhere near that of R8\9.

Recently I have experimented  with using M and R optics on an Olympus F. The M-mounts with an ordinary Novoflex adapter, the Rs  both with and without the Metabones focal length reducer. The built in lens-shake reducer in the camera works very well and the eyelevel viewfinder gives a bright picture even when the lens is stopped down. In combination with compact M-lenses it is as unobtrusive as my M6 and has the advantage of stabilization so that bulky fast wide-angles are less important, but of course a 28mm gets the same angle of view as a "56 mm". If needed its special extreme resolution mode needs faffing around in the menu, a tripod, critical focussing and stationary subjects, but gives the expected results. Negative points for no menu settings for totally disabling superfluous buttons which can too easily be pressed.

I do not have long M4\3 optics, so the 80-200 ROM fills that role. The Metabones  adapter (which also works on the 21-35), give my 60 and 100mm macros the angle of view of roughly 85 and 135mm lenses - and adds speed. 

p.

• Like 1

I am not certain if it has now been supplanted by the SL, but at the time of its launch Leica said that the M (Typ 240) was its solution going forwards for using R lenses.  Using the Leica adapter and EVF set to magnified view, I have had some good results.  That said, the excellent EVF on the SL seems to be very good for focussing manually and confirmation of focus by magnifying the view is hardly becessary.

I have been experimenting recently with a variety of manual focus lenses, Leica and others, on a Fuji X-E2, which has three methods to assist manual focussing.  Magnified view, focus peaking and split image.  With the exception of the X-Pro1, these focussing aids are common across the Fuji range.  Split image is hardly worth bothering with and focus peaking is a tad optimistic, but I find that when the shimmering is at its maximum, only a mmimum amount of adjustment is needed when I magnify the image in the viewfinder.  The only potential downside is the 1.5 crop factor, but that is not always a disadvantage and Fuji bodies are a lot less expensive than Leica's.

The Leica DMR (provided it has two decent batteries) with an R8 or R9 is still a good option for R lenses; Richard Caplan has one listed s/h. The SL is the best solution; Red Dot Camera lists a s/h example. The rumoured Leica T2 might be announced at Photokina in which case prices for the original Leica T both new and s/h could fall - but as with the SL, adapters are required for use with R and M lenses. 

dunk

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
  • Like 1

Just a little off topic. I have couple R lenses, and one of the oldest 50mm Summicron for the R made. I did a comparison between that lens and my 50mm Summicron M v4, taking exact same shots off my M 246, and they were identical behaving on that camera in terms of image. I could not find anywhere on the photos they were different and believe me I tried.

Just a little off topic. I have couple R lenses, and one of the oldest 50mm Summicron for the R made. I did a comparison between that lens and my 50mm Summicron M v4, taking exact same shots off my M 246, and they were identical behaving on that camera in terms of image. I could not find anywhere on the photos they were different and believe me I tried.

Both are Walter Mandler designs; you do not mention exactly which 50/2 R you have, but there are design similarities between the 50mm Summicron R Mk I and the 50mm Summicron M Mk IV;  performance is similar. And the 50/2 Summicron R Mk II and 50/2 Summicron M Mk IV are almost identical designs - only the mounts differ - and performance is almost identical too. See Erwin Puts' Leica Lens Compendium page 123 - also compare the MTF graphs in Leica Pocket Book 8th Edition.

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
  • Like 1

Best digital body for R is D700 with after market screen. perfect balance with pixel count and focusing accuracy requirement as well as handling.

As a said note, I never be a fan of EVF what so ever. The whole process has to be done with real connection with world, my 2cents.   

Best digital body for R is D700 with after market screen. perfect balance with pixel count and focusing accuracy requirement as well as handling.

As a said note, I never be a fan of EVF what so ever. The whole process has to be done with real connection with world, my 2cents.   

That's what I initially thought, but as my eyesight became much worse, I came to appreciate the value of EVF, especially with longer focal length lenses.

• Like 1

I've been using my 50 lux on my A7II, and I really like the "in focus" indicators that it gives you.

Even my all-auto wife was able to snap beautiful pictures with it this morning of our 9 month old.

I did have to explain on setting the aperture, but after that, she was good

• 4 weeks later...

I'm considering acquiring another digital option for my R lenses (and M if possible.)

Like TomB_tx above ^^, I found the Sony (an a7r in my case) to be an excellent option for R glass, much better than the M240 to be honest.

I could zoom/focus easily (anywhere in the frame I damn well pleased!) and for tripod work it all made for a far more enjoyable experience.

The tilting viewfinder also allowed for a (very feeble admittedly) WLF type LCD experience when using it more casually. The M240's awful little clip on LCD thing was just terrible to use for focussing by comparison. I found myself just using DOF markings to focus in lower light before dawn/after dusk with the M240 and R lenses as the LCD/Viewer weren't up to it imho.

Now we have the new option of the SL... but the size of it! On paper it seems like I should want an SL for the M and R solution? (I have zero interest in the SL lenses.)

After the first novelty use, is anyone really using M lenses on it? And using it with R lenses out and about? 

The cost is such that I can just acquire another Sony A7x body and an M9, or I could get an M240 and live with its relatively poor R (but perfect M) capability instead. 

Anyone else face the same dilemma? Any examples from/of the whole SL +M/R setup? 

What are you doing bscott?

Edited by coogee

I'm using the SL for work with the two SL zooms and for my own stuff I have M 50 & 35 Summiluxes, also R28 V2, R35 Summicron, R50 1.4 E60, R90 Apo. It's the ability to switch between these two completely different ways of working that makes the SL so good. Sold my D4s and all my Nikon lenses, my A7R2 and now considering selling my M240. I honestly think it's the only camera I need.

• Like 1