60mm TL Macro announced

helged

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks Tom, appreciate the input. Really, deep down, I fear I am just being an old stick-in-the-mud.

And fortunately, trying a 35 is nigh on impossible where I am. I use the 35mm focal length quite a bit, using a Summicron M , and R. M normally, and R when close-up is desired.

Gary

I am looking for a good macro lens system in APS-C (or MFT) and I would consider the next T(L) if it has a builtin EVF. But I find 60mm for a APS-C macro on the short side. I think the best focal length (FF equivalent) is 120mm to 135mm giving enough distance to not scare/shade the object but not too long (with a higher probability to have something obscuring in the optical pathway). I used my Macro-Elmar 90mm with a Nex7 and that was pretty optimal focal length wise but that lens is only an excellent performer up to 1:3. Fuji has a 80mm macro planned for next year.

Anybody buying this lens as long as no new T2 has been announced...?

nope, no chance. The T-System has been an investment for me because i did not want the bulk of full frame with excellent image quality. After spending almost 10,000€ on this system - about twice of what i would have spent on a Nikon FF with 24-120 and 50mm Zeiss 1.4 - i'd be seriously unhappy with having to buy an SL to keep using these APS-C lenses.

• Like 1

Anybody buying this lens as long as no new T2 has been announced...?

I am waiting. Not because of the T2 (I am committed to the T anyways) but because the 50-135 is so good that I don't know if I really need a 60mm prime (I am not really shooting Macro anyways).

I am still interested to see what the T2 will offer. I hope for some sort of weather protection, but I doubt it.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I still hope there is a T2 but it is looking less likely. Certainly wouldn't be buying this lens until Leica has definitively announced either a new T or a camera dedicated around the TL lens. One would be quite dumb to buy this just for the SL alone. Officially discontinuing the current T and leaving any follow on in 'rumor land' is annoying. Everyone seems to be reading tea leaves on any new T announcement. I would err on there isn't going to be one. The early discontinuation, which seemed premature if there was to be a new version right away, feels more like that was the end.

Edited by billinghambaglady
  • Like 1

I still hope there is a T2 but it is looking less likely. Certainly wouldn't be buying this lens until Leica has definitively announced either a new T or a camera dedicated around the TL lens. One would be quite dumb to buy this just for the SL alone. Officially discontinuing the current T and leaving any follow on in 'rumor land' is annoying. Everyone seems to be reading tea leaves on any new T announcement. I would err on there isn't going to be one. The early discontinuation, which seemed premature if there was to be a new version right away, feels more like that was the end.

I have to take the opposite perspective from you.

I keep coming back to the question as to why Leica would develop the TL lenses if a T2 was not intended. Further, it would seem to be advantageous for Leica to have a consumer line to compete with Sony and Fuji, particularly as they have developed lenses for such a system. 

• Like 3

I have to take the opposite perspective from you.

I keep coming back to the question as to why Leica would develop the TL lenses if a T2 was not intended. Further, it would seem to be advantageous for Leica to have a consumer line to compete with Sony and Fuji, particularly as they have developed lenses for such a system.

I don't disagree. We all are hoping. It is puzzling. What gets me is the early and sudden discontinuation of the T unless they were all ready to roll out and ship the T2. To not even officially announce there is a T2 and leave it to speculation this long .....

Too rich for me anyway.

Plus it is the completely wrong direction size-wise. Like the 35/1.5, it looks huge.

I keep banging on about this I know, but there is no reason whatsoever for them to be so big, it is the one thing that annoys. You have a small, discreet, compact T, and then these two lenses are huge.

At least my M lenses are in keeping with the size of the camera.

Gary

For a MACRO lens I disagree with you. I'm not really a fan of the big telecentric lenses site and I also prefer the smaller rangefinder lenses BUT the huge range in focusing distances requires the focusing group to move considerable distances. Rangefinder lenses have the advantage that they need only focus as closely as the rangefinder which is about 70cm so up close focusing is not a design criteria in the lens design and the focusing group does not need to travel very far.

Even when you try to do macro with a rangefinder lens you add an extension tube making the lens longer. This allows its focus to move closer but you still have a very limited focus range. There is no possibility of focusing at infinity and up close.

My point is, a macro lens needs to be physically longer.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just purchased the Elmarit-TL 60mm (after selling an M lens to fund this).  It's tack sharp and much lighter in weight than the Summilux-TL 35mm!

T + TL 60mm

3.5, 1/200 sec, ISO 640

OCC optimized for web upload

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 9

T + TL 60mm

f4.0, 1/200 sec, ISO 1250

Macro focus mode, tungsten WB, EV-0

Shell length is approximately 25mm.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2