Caveat Emptor-- PayPal may hijack your purchase without your knowing it.

hendriphile

Advertisement (gone after registration)

No - I am not. Our debit cards do not have a security code. Just the bank account number and issuing number of the card. The card cannot be debited without using  the PIN.

In the USA a debit card can be run as a credit card, this bypasses the need for a PIN. Don't get me started about the lack of chip and pin over here, trying to use a USA issued card of any type in Europe is a pain.

• Like 1

Often  credit card requires a PIN as well, it is a lot of hassle to use one without. Don't get me started... In Africa, for instance, American Express is useless. Visa and Master only....

PIN is everywhere here, since mobile Pinpads arrived even the smallest market stall will take debit+PIN.

When travelling I prefer to use a credit card rather than haul cash around, and conversion rates to sterling are usually better even with the fees. In Europe this has been a problem in Germany where credit card use is very varied. For instance some Edeka supermarkets take Visa others dont.

Gerry

When travelling I prefer to use a credit card rather than haul cash around, and conversion rates to sterling are usually better even with the fees. In Europe this has been a problem in Germany where credit card use is very varied. For instance some Edeka supermarkets take Visa others dont.

Gerry

I'm the other way round, because of the credit card problems I use cash where possible. My bank doesn't charge foreign transaction fees for ATM withdrawals and it refunds any fees the bank owning the ATM may charge me.

Jaap - are you confusing PIN numbers with the 3-digit security code? The latter is often used with remote transactions online or by phone.

The PIN is/should never be given to anyone.

Edit: I've never understood the point of the security code except that it is just printed and not in the chip. Given that it is used widely online and over the phone, it adds only a minor layer of not very strong security.

I think the 3-digit 'security code' on the back is to try and confirm the purchaser has the card in his / her possession, and has not simply copied the 'front' details (name on card, 16-digit number, expiry date etc.), which would be relatively easy to do.

• Like 2

I believe PayPal has temporarily embargoed the funds until it is satisfied the transaction is complete, from their definition of "complete". I just sold my Fuji X equipment to someone several states away.  Although the buyer immediately sent me the funds via an e-mail, PayPal held the funds until I actually shipped the camera equipment, reported the FEDEX tracking number to Paypal, and then Paypal saw evidence of the actual FEDEX delivery and recipient's proof of signature delivery.  Then, PayPal's policy is to take 72 hours from that point until it releases the funds (they're holding) to me into my Paypal account.  And only after that point I have to next request transfer of the funds out of my Palpal account and into my bank account, and PayPal says that takes yet another 3-4 days. And, you have to request special allowance to be able to transfer more than $1,000 at a time.  I knew none of this when I first sold my Fuji X camera equipment and used PayPal for the transaction, and was surprised/not happy that the total process would take so long.  Paypal says the delay is needed to make sure Paypal, the buyer and seller are all protected.

Guys - stop and think about this for a minute.

If any other business entity attempted to force this kind of byzantine monkeyf**k on clients or customers, they would tell that business entity to go screw itself and boycott it.  Before long, that business entity would wither and die.  Yet people act as if they are helpless and are totally at the mercy of PayPal.

Why??

Edited by Carlos Danger

Yet people act as if they are helpless and are totally at the mercy of PayPal.

Yes, do stop and read the terms; shouldn't take more than a minute.

Many people willingly chose that method of payment over many other kinds, some of them presumably might even have read the terms and might know what they're doing.

So do you think it's conceivably possible that you got something wrong and badmouth the wrong ones?

Yes, do stop and read the terms; shouldn't take more than a minute.

Many people willingly chose that method of payment over many other kinds, some of them presumably might even have read the terms and might know what they're doing.

So do you think it's conceivably possible that you got something wrong and badmouth the wrong ones?

I doubt anybody who read the terms of business will prefer paypal over any other (for that kind of transaction possible) way of payment.

If not completely cured by studying the terms of business, get in contact with the "customer service" ....

Yes, there are some places on earth without proper banking where paypal may look like the only pssible way of payment (I avoid those places).

Paypal has always worked fine for me, whether buying on ebay or elsewhere. I'm treasurer of a choir that sells tickets online using paypal - no problems for seller or buyer.

Back to the OP: this is the seller's problem and how they relate to paypal: demand your money back or the item you bought, or take them to court - you fulfilled your side of the bargain.

Edited by LocalHero1953

I doubt anybody who read the terms of business will prefer paypal over any other (for that kind of transaction possible) way of payment.

If not completely cured by studying the terms of business, get in contact with the "customer service" ....

Yes, there are some places on earth without proper banking where paypal may look like the only pssible way of payment (I avoid those places).

I have bought and sold many times using PayPal as have many hundreds of thousands of people and never had a problem. There are bound to be a few people who do not like PayPal ,so what. No reason to moan about the product just don't use it. As for customer service at PayPal on a couple of occasions I have asked for advice etc they have been very good.

Brian

If any other business entity attempted to force this kind of byzantine monkeyf**k on clients or customers, they would tell that business entity to go screw itself and boycott it.  Before long, that business entity would wither and die.  Yet people act as if they are helpless and are totally at the mercy of PayPal.

Why??

The area of blue text you highlighted is an example of not having a separate credit card or bank account linked to your PayPal account, hence the limit on only being able to transfer $1000. If you are using PayPal 'on the cheap' they hold funds until they are sure all parties are happy, otherwise funds will not be available to reimburse unhappy buyers. So rather than being "at the mercy of PayPal" the seller has hamstrung himself by not guaranteeing his own liquidity and ability to reimburse the buyer if necessary. It basically is a system to stop the scan artists. So what is wrong with that? Link a bank account and a card to your PayPal account and far, far more than $1000 can be transferred immediately and without delay.

Steve

Edited by 250swb
  • Like 1

I agree with previous posters who have said PayPal was in effect putting our cash in escrow… something which was never disclosed to us at the time of purchase.

After writing them an appropriately worded letter, Paypal released the funds to the seller, where they were supposed to have gone in the first place. 

The item was sent and just received: matter resolved.