Caveat Emptor-- PayPal may hijack your purchase without your knowing it.

hendriphile

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Last week I purchased an item from a leading photographic store in S. California using my Debit Card. Debit card is "equivalent to cash."
The Seller never received the cash.
I discovered the money was being held by PayPal. (When ordering the item, I was never informed by the Seller that Paypal would be a part of this transaction.) 
My Bank told me they were powerless to cancel the transaction. Now I don’t have the money; the Seller doesn’t have the money; PayPal has the money & they’re keeping it. 

Suggestion: Before paying for an item with a card over the phone, ascertain that the vendor has no connection with PayPal.

Edited by hendriphile

Does the seller owe PayPal some money, do you owe PayPal some money? In any case I doubt it is as clear cut as you seem to imply, but the seller clearly hasn't been straight with you about how they will process your payment so open a ticket with PayPal and find out what is happening and why. It's better than feigning bafflement because most people would say it's for the seller to sort out and that is where blame should lay, it is a chain of events they instigated, instead you seem to be blaming PayPal which raises suspicions.

Steve

• Like 1

If the seller has a deal with Paypal and Paypal has charged your debit card on behalf of the seller, then you have paid the goods and your part of the deal is done. Do you have the goods now? If yes, all is well for you. If not, tell the seller to deliver. If he does not, tell Paypal that you have not received any goods, and I presume they will re-imburse you. That's what they usually claim, anyway.

• Like 3

Is this one of those cases where paypal don't complete the transaction till about 30 days later? (or is that just paypal when linked to ebay). It's come in the last couple of years, intended as a protection to the buyer. I now get a series of emails from paypal after the whole deal is done (as far as I am concerned) saying "We're about to make the payment to X". I guess it's some form of escrow.

But if I recall, you do have a choice whether to use it or not, though the default is to use it.

Edit: I just reread your post, and I see this was a phone transaction.

As far as I can see this is the seller's problem. They owe you money or the item. It's not up to you to solve their problems for them.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

You are no part of any problem that the seller might have in releasing his money from PayPal. You should insist on delivery. Provide the seller with your proof of payment. If they are indeed a reputable store they should deliver the goods then.

• Like 2

Sounds like the seller is using PayPal to accept debit or credit card transactions rather than having arrangements for card payments themselves (which is odd for an established retail business).

I agree with what the others have already said and you should demand that the vendor provides your goods or refunds you. It sounds like they may have some issues with PayPal which isn't your problem.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Last week I purchased an item from a leading photographic store in S. California using my Debit Card. Debit card is "equivalent to cash."

The Seller never received the cash.

I discovered the money was being held by PayPal. (When ordering the item, I was never informed by the Seller that Paypal would be a part of this transaction.) 

My Bank told me they were powerless to cancel the transaction. Now I don’t have the money; the Seller doesn’t have the money; PayPal has the money & they’re keeping it. 

Suggestion: Before paying for an item with a card over the phone, ascertain that the vendor has no connection with PayPal.

I believe PayPal has temporarily embargoed the funds until it is satisfied the transaction is complete, from their definition of "complete". I just sold my Fuji X equipment to someone several states away.  Although the buyer immediately sent me the funds via an e-mail, PayPal held the funds until I actually shipped the camera equipment, reported the FEDEX tracking number to Paypal, and then Paypal saw evidence of the actual FEDEX delivery and recipient's proof of signature delivery.  Then, PayPal's policy is to take 72 hours from that point until it releases the funds (they're holding) to me into my Paypal account.  And only after that point I have to next request transfer of the funds out of my Palpal account and into my bank account, and PayPal says that takes yet another 3-4 days. And, you have to request special allowance to be able to transfer more than $1,000 at a time.  I knew none of this when I first sold my Fuji X camera equipment and used PayPal for the transaction, and was surprised/not happy that the total process would take so long.  Paypal says the delay is needed to make sure Paypal, the buyer and seller are all protected.

• Like 1

Is this one of those cases where paypal don't complete the transaction till about 30 days later? (or is that just paypal when linked to ebay). It's come in the last couple of years, intended as a protection to the buyer. I now get a series of emails from paypal after the whole deal is done (as far as I am concerned) saying "We're about to make the payment to X". I guess it's some form of escrow.

But if I recall, you do have a choice whether to use it or not, though the default is to use it.

Edit: I just reread your post, and I see this was a phone transaction.

As far as I can see this is the seller's problem. They owe you money or the item. It's not up to you to solve their problems for them.

It is also intended as a protection for the buyer. The money is held in the sellers PayPal account for a period to ensur that the buyer is happy with the goods purchased. If the buyer has a dispute over non delivery or quality etc PayPal can refund the buyer. People using PayPal when selling goods have the funds held in this way until they have a proven track record of selling without any disputes.After a short period of good transactions the funds paid to PayPal by a buyer will clear instantly. Edited by Guest

Yes, but that cannot mean that they can hold the goods back until funds are released.. How could the buyer indicate his (un)happiness in that time if he does not have his purchase? A payment means shipping. Period.

Yes, but that cannot mean that they can hold the goods back until funds are released.. How could the buyer indicate his (un)happiness in that time if he does not have his purchase? A payment means shipping. Period.

No it doesn't. The goods should be supplied in the manner that was agreed when the purchase was made, for example 48 hour courier or any other method.
If the buyer has not recieved the goods they should contact the seller and PayPal. PayPal are very helpful in these circumstances in my experience.

I'm a bit puzzled thoug. I know banking systems differ between countries but how does one do a debit card transaction through the phone?

In the UK,, you just give the relevent numbers as you would a credit card. UK debit cards have the 16 digit number, security code etc.

I'm a bit puzzled thoug. I know banking systems differ between countries but how does one do a debit card transaction through the phone?

Just give the seller the 16 digit number/ expiry date / and security code plus deliver address etc. This is why I prefer PayPal. It saves giving all the details over the phone for payment and delivery etc. Makes life easy for both buyer and seller and very safe.

I always prefer to use PayPal. For added security my PayPal account is funded from a credit card giving another level of security.

For added security my PayPal account is funded from a credit card giving another level of security.

And also gives another level of payment authorisation. The only time I have not had smooth and slick service from PayPal was in the initial stages when many years ago I didn't have a card and banking details linked to my PayPal account. So fund transfers were limited, payments limited, etc. Perhaps this is what has happened from the OP's side? And nowadays these card and bank details are also used as identity checks against money laundering etc.

Just give the seller the 16 digit number/ expiry date / and security code plus deliver address etc. This is why I prefer PayPal. It saves giving all the details over the phone for payment and delivery etc. Makes life easy for both buyer and seller and very safe.

I always prefer to use PayPal. For added security my PayPal account is funded from a credit card giving another level of security.

That is for credit cards. For debit cards - they are all Maestro- we have a pin code which should never be given out. And a banking system ( IDeal) which will debit your bank account using the Bank's Internet system with all security. That cannot be done on the phone.

That is for credit cards. For debit cards we have a pin code which should never be given out. And a banking system which will debit your bank account using the Bnk's Internet system

UK Credit and Debit cards have PIN numbers, but are only used for transactions where there is a fully electronic process with the card holder present. As stated, for telephone transactions with debit cards (or credit cards)  the PIN is not used.

Paypal, is a good option, but for some transactions there is a surcharge for all but debit cards (eg flight tickets). Your choice then.

Jaap - are you confusing PIN numbers with the 3-digit security code? The latter is often used with remote transactions online or by phone.

The PIN is/should never be given to anyone.

Edit: I've never understood the point of the security code except that it is just printed and not in the chip. Given that it is used widely online and over the phone, it adds only a minor layer of not very strong security.

Edited by LocalHero1953