007 for video

dritz

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What's the most basic setup one can use to get away with a video recording experience with minimal frustration? Perhaps a video recording bracket to hold the beast?  They code named the camera "Hollywood" but I can't find any descriptions of using it this way... other than the instruction manual.

Thanks (in anticipation).

What's the most basic setup one can use to get away with a video recording experience with minimal frustration? Perhaps a video recording bracket to hold the beast?  They code named the camera "Hollywood" but I can't find any descriptions of using it this way... other than the instruction manual.

Thanks (in anticipation).

When the 007 came out Leica would present it rigged for video like this:

http://www.reddotforum.com/content/2014/09/photokina-2014-day-2-everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-leica-s-typ-007/

I think easiest would be a monopod.

If you must handhold, I suggest a Zacuto Z-finder and brace the camera against your face. This will only work for very short videos though.

I think very few people really use the 007 for video. The files are unwieldily large (a 32GB card records only 11 minutes of 4K footage). The 4K footage is beautiful, but the downsized HD footage is not that great. Also, rolling shutter artefacts are very severe (which also makes it even less advisable to handhold), and the "crop factor" in 4K removes any possibility of a wide perspective. And recording proper audio would require a bracket and a separate piece of equipment.

I use the 007 for video only as a second camera to a proper video camera, and only very occasionally.

Edited by alan.y
  • Like 2

When the 007 came out Leica would present it rigged for video like this:

http://www.reddotforum.com/content/2014/09/photokina-2014-day-2-everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-leica-s-typ-007/

I think easiest would be a monopod.

If you must handhold, I suggest a Zacuto Z-finder and brace the camera against your face. This will only work for very short videos though.

I think very few people really use the 007 for video. The files are unwieldily large (a 32GB card records only 11 minutes of 4K footage). The 4K footage is beautiful, but the downsized HD footage is not that great. Also, rolling shutter artefacts are very severe (which also makes it even less advisable to handhold), and the "crop factor" in 4K removes any possibility of a wide perspective. And recording proper audio would require a bracket and a separate piece of equipment.

I use the 007 for video only as a second camera to a proper video camera, and only very occasionally.

Monopod makes sense -- why didn't I think of that!  HD is plenty of resolution.

Thanks for the info.