M9. One of THOSE cameras?

Wayne

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Interesting asides on eyewear.  I was late moving from manual focusing SLRs (Contax ST and others - another one of "those cameras") to AF film SLRs (mostly the Minolta Dynax 9 - the most comfortable SLR I've ever held) and then late to move into digital.  As my eyesight got worse, the importance of a good VF and then good AF became more important.  Even with the better DSLRs, I don't find the focusing experience (and I still have some MF Zeiss lenses) particularly great and the built-in dioptre correction is getting marginal now.  My optician suggested varifocals for normal life a couple of years ago and I've adjusted to them really quickly and like them, but eye point / relief becomes an issue with some DSLRs.  (I've tried contacts twice in the past and don't get along with them at all.) 

So to the M9 (and back to it in my case).  I thought for a long while that I would never get used to having the whole scene in focus (other than the RF patch) or not be able to "see" the way that the lens saw or focus manually off-centre while framing - it was one of the reasons I sold the last M9.  What I now realise, slowly, is that I need a fast AF'g SLR camera and it doesn't matter that much about how good the prism is to focus manually by.  The RF patch is extremely precise and remarkably easy to use.  When my eyesight (with or without specs) gets in the way of perfection, I don't care so much any more.  Last night, I went to see a great musical with the M9-P on my shoulder and it felt right.  I had done the same with the Df a few weeks before buying the M9-P.  Not only did it feel right, but somehow I think I was seeing more photos/better photos.  Somehow, I was experimenting more, enjoying it more, exercising more creative judgement.  I could be fooling myself and I'm sure that the results will contain duds and possibly more duds than if I'd been AF'g.  But I don't think I'd have tried some of the things I did with the M9-P.

Cheers

Chazphoto

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

M9-P and MM1, I don't see me giving them up unless they give up on me.  The size, image quality and ease of use are great.  I love these cameras.  If only my batteries weren't so fickle!

No my M9 and MM are staying with me!  Keep yours...

Edited by jaapv
gun reference removed
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have thought about the 240,  but am committed to the M9 to the extent I have two 9's and two Monochromes.  As a working, traveling photographer, I have learned you have to have a backup.  I have found that the M9 sensor seems to be perfectly matched to the V4 35 Summicron and V4 28 Elmarit.  I also have a Q if I need to do closeups or work in colour in lower light. 

GAS is not linear, but I see it in unpredictable waves, sometimes with a long plateau, even temporary remissions and sudden flare-ups. There is denial, joyful acceptance, misery etc. It is a big part of this forum, not seeing much violin or piano craving and then swapping/hoarding among my musician friends. Imo it is more in line with collecting watches, guns, coins etc. Mind you, nothing wrong with it, since it is a part of my happyness. For some it is an aside of photography, for others their own photography is very important but secondary.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

... It is kind of like my 1978 911sc- my Porsche dream car when I graduated in 1978: once it was in the garage, I stopped looking at other cars...even other Porsches. That was 10 years ago. Good enough. No substitute.

It is kind of but maybe something different.

Though my first DIGITAL slr is for a long time again now my only DSLR: 1Ds. Carried all my Hasselblad gear to the store for it when it came out and an (!) IS (!) 2.8/70-200.

Edited by tri

• 2 weeks later...

It depends on one's needs and criteria; even though I have a Canon 5D Mark II with many lenses, the M9 is my favoured full frame camera.  In fact, it's my favourite camera of all time.  The images I can wring from the M9 have a look that the Canon can't even dream of.

At the same time, if it had a more discreet shutter and liveview focus, I would like it even more.  And my M9 looks like it's developing sensor corrosion, so that will need to be fixed, too.  The M240 may be in my future, but there's something about the fabled CCD rendering that I haven't seen in M240 images so far.

• Like 1

I have a love/hate relationship with my M9.

Before the sensor change due to corrosion I had more or less decided to sell the M9. I had quite a few problems with it, it had gone back to Solms a number of times already. Anyway, I had the sensor changed as it was free but I was really disappointed when the camera came back with a different covering - I liked the old more and wasn't even told that it would be changed... and it feels horrible compared to the original covering.

When I got the camera back, it just stayed in the box for weeks, I really couldn't be bothered with Leica anymore... in the meantime I had got an X-Pro2 and was very happy with the quality of that camera and the IQ with the Leica lenses was really good.

Then I decided to give the M9 one last go before selling it... I knew right away that I would not be selling it. The quality of the photographs is just so much better than the Fuji. It may be just wishful thinking but it seems to me that the pictures are better with the new sensor.

I was however once again disappointed a few days ago when a new issue reared it's ugly head... as can be seen here (link).

I can understand why, when they already knew about this same issue with the M8, Leica did not fix it when designing the new (corrosion-less) sensor. It's unbelievably bad quality assurance by a company which likes to think it is top-notch. That being said, this issue is not going to stop me from keeping and enjoying the M9.

I have been looking at newer Ms. The only one that I would get in addition to the M9 at the moment is a Monochrom. And even then, probably the MM1. If only it has the 262 shutter !!!

I know the feeling.....when I received my M9-P back in May, it arrived without the vulcanite covering, which I knew was happening due to the estimate I had received earlier which said the vulcanite covering was no longer available.

While my M9-P was in for the sensor replacement I purchased a new M262 and it is, quite nice. I love it. The thing just does what you want so well, the release now locks exposure in aperture preferred mode by barely touching vs. having to press the release down to a locking point like you have to with the M9 and overall the feel/operation is just so much updated and one battery lasts a long time, but I still bought a second as one never knows. I still like using my M9, although admittedly not nearly as much, it makes for an excellent primary/backup outfit.

I've not noticed that banding issue since receiving my M9-P back.

Edited by Gregm61

Yes, but the M9 had this weak point right from the beginning, and you just happened to find it right now. 

ok, but what I am saying is this.  Following the corrosion issue, when a new sensor was developed, and being fully aware of this issue, Leica should have taken the opportunity to fix it.

ok, but what I am saying is this.  Following the corrosion issue, when a new sensor was developed, and being fully aware of this issue, Leica should have taken the opportunity to fix it.

I don't think there was an opportunity. The fix to the corrosion issue was another coating for the same type of sensor, or rather sensor stack. Protecting the sensitive parts of the sensor from light would be quite a different change. It is a problem that occurs quite rarely, otherwise there would be reports of it all over the place.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

M9 with 50 Lux, just had new sensor due to corrosion after six years.  Very happy; it continues to produce 'that unique look'

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

M9, no need for anything else (for my needs). I don't even think about selling it. Like others here, there are things I've sold and regretted, but won't make that mistake with this one.

Mine had the sensor replaced as part of the goodwill program last year. Its like a new camera all over again.

I totally agree, I am on my 3rd M9.... sold it twice due to not being able to justify the investment over not photographing that much but regreted it twice :)  the canons and fujis I bought in replacement were very disappointing after the M9. So I finally got the budget together and bought another M9, the third one and hopefully the last one and I am using it regularly now alongside my trusty old M6. I stopped looking at newer cameras and now only look at lenses which are a much better investment. My sensor was replaced for corrosion and has been flawless ever since. 

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, I've started to suspect that the M9 really is. I have newer cameras of other brands with better specs, e.g. a Canon 5DSr, but the M9 is still the one I use the most. Eventually, I might buy a newer digital M, but I don't think I will ever sell the M9.

For me, one reason to keep the M9 is that it's sort of a "landmark" in the development of the M: the first full frame digital M and, at the same time, probably one of the last with some "traditional" M features like a frameline illumination window (always-on framelines). The other reason is, of course, the amazing image quality produced by the "obsolete" CCD sensor.

• Like 1

Well, for the last few months I have been shooting film with my Leica lenses and cameras, as well as with use of some ancient German, medium format folding cameras. I do not know if it is common behavior, but I run in phases that way. The film experience is unique and very satisfying.

What this has done to my perspective on my M9 is to force me to develop (honest, I did not mean it as a pun) a greater appreciation for the adequacy of the camera. While the difference between film and digital will never be resolved in one camera, the film experience reinforces my impression that M9 really does have everything needed to fulfill amateur photography pursuits in digital. It really is, digital features notwithstanding, about the same as my M3. For me, it is too easy to become engrossed in the allure of presented advantage of new technology. So often pursuit of those advantages has lead to nothing but disappointment in the technology, and, more importantly, in myself. If it were to serve no other purpose, keeping the M9 as a reminder of my disappointments associated with greater technology, would be adequate cause.

I am pretty sure I have quoted it before on this forum, but the lessons of the M9 illustrate it about as well as anything I have encountered:

"Even the absence of variety can be sensed as satisfaction when a variety of dissatisfactions has preceded it."

Epicurus.

Edited by Wayne