Artefacts on photo - Leica Q

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello

I have a Leica q and I'm very pleased.

I would ask for an opinion on whether this can be a mistake. Why does this occur?

In the attachment I send two photos, which show the artifacts that occur. On the one photo I tagged circular this artifact.

I photographed in the DNG format and slightly processed in caprure one 9.

Is this because of using protect filter on the lens? I use the B + W Protection Filter?

I do not know why this occurs - anyone has any idea.

Thanks.

Best regards.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Tom,

the shape of the artefact is suspicious and a flare is probably the reason. I would recommend to use the Q without any filter. The lens does not need any because coating is very good. For protection I do not use anything but the cap and hood. I recently bought a glassfilter system with holder and adapter rings. This works perfectly also with the Q when you need to darken the sky. 0.9 ND grad is fine. A polarizer can be applied as well if really needed. Otherwise any average glass will have a negative influence on the IQ.

• Like 1

When I'm shooting assignments, shooting straight into strong light sources is an occupational hazard. It's also necessary that I have protection filters on my lenses, because of the close quarters (we call it "the scrum") I sometimes get into with other members of the press, which can sometimes be hazardous to my equipment. My philosophy is if you're going to have a Leica lens, and need to put something in front of it all the time, use something of equal quality - so on my Leica lenses I use only only Leica filters. When I first got the Q, I got a B+H filter because I had to order the proper sized Leica filter, and I got some small flares when shooting into lights. Since putting the Leica filter on it, no flares.

Here's a couple of examples of shooting straight into powerful spotlights and getting no flares using the Leica filter.

gallery_13781_5277_204486.jpg

gallery_13781_5277_1205826.jpg

Edited by beez

Tom B+W are excellent filters and I doubt very much that you will see a difference between the B+W and a Leica filter.

I think that almost without doubt your circular lines on the image are due to processing artifacts from capture1 that you did the PP in.

I have seen these type of artifacts on many occasions and with many type of camera systems and always caused by PP.

Did you burn in the Sky at all as this is the number one cause of artifacts in my experience.

On the other hand, I do agree with paulmac that this could be the result of something that was done in Post. As suggested, you should go back and look at the RAW file and see if the artifact is present. I agree that B+H are excellent filters, and I wasn't expecting to get the flares that I got when shooting into strong lights at an angle, but I don't get that anymore with the Leica filter on the lens.

Thanx paulmac.

The same artifacts are in raw file, bat a little less visible. 

The sky is not burnt. The photo is underexposed about 1 stop. 

Thanx.

Tom

If that's the case (the artifact being the RAW file), then it's almost certain to be a reflection or something (debris, or smudge) on the lens. As I said, the change to the Leica filter has virtually eliminated reflections for me when shooting into strong light sources.