M240 or Film Leica?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Film. At this present moment in time, the answer is obvious.

I have two M6 bodies and two digital M bodies.

I'm minded the sell the M-E but I do like the results it produces.

Perhaps get a M9 or M-E, they are well priced at the moment, plus the peace of mind with the sensor change (free by Leica), and a cheap M6. Whichever one you end up using the most, keep. OR if you can, keep both.

I've hung onto my M8 all these years, I like it, it still works and gets the odd outing, plus the scrap value mark has been passed. Perhaps in another 10 years it may be worth something ;-) It still produces fabulous images and of all the digital M cameras, perhaps bar the £££ Monochrom(s), has a genuine film look. 

I realise my post is not saying anything new. Good luck with the future purchase.

Went jeep trekking in the Negev desert in Southern Israel. Took me a film camera and a digital one. Really was psyched. Got a timeless shot, too. Only it was taken with my iPhone. Oh well. ;)

Me too, 100+ rolls in Israel this summer, in fact.  Mostly slide film... :)

Look familiar? (the place, not the Provia 100F) :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by A miller
  • Like 6

Over 100 rolls of slide film? Yikes. That must have cost a fortune

indeed, it was an intensively successful travel period for me.  but in the long run I save big time by being a bystander in the digital rat race.  A few years ago I lost $3K in depreciation after just one year of the MM; with hardly any stellar keepers to show for it. 

I also am keenly aware that slide film will not be around forever and one day we will be relishing at the sight of it like we are currently doing with Kodachrome.  I am very lucky to have it readily available at the best price possible.  In Israel I had to replensh a few rolls of velvia 50 (which was the last few rolls available in the entire country) and had to pay way more than double :(

On reflection, I am not at all bashful or regretful of paying $1.60 for the photo posted above (1/12 of the cost of film and processing).  I will do this all day long until the film is no longer available.

It is impressive - how do you find time to scan all that Adam?

br

philip

1-2 rolls per day, weeding out bad exposures from bracketing.  I view it as a very long term workflow and am in no rush to get it live. 

Edited by A miller
  • Like 4

Thanks Adam. I like that, bystander in the digital rat race :D

I'm happy I'm not alone in taking time to go through the rolls. I have a backlog of probably more than 100 rolls. In fact, I find it is beneficial to have some time between the exposure and the post-processing. Or so I tell myself...

indeed, it was an intensively successful travel period for me.  but in the long run I save big time by being a bystander in the digital rat race.  A few years ago I lost $3K in depreciation after just one year of the MM; with hardly any stellar keepers to show for it. 

1-2 rolls per day, weeding out bad exposures from bracketing.  I view it as a very long term workflow and am in no rush to get it live. 

Edited by philipus
  • Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

. In fact, I find it is beneficial to have some time between the exposure and the post-processing. Or so I tell myself...

I agree 1000%.  Marination of my photos and lots of internal reflection and beating up is a huge part of my workflow. 

• Like 4

I also am keenly aware that slide film will not be around forever and one day we will be relishing at the sight of it like we are currently doing with Kodachrome.  I am very lucky to have it readily available at the best price possible.  In Israel I had to replensh a few rolls of velvia 50 (which was the last few rolls available in the entire country) and had to pay way more than double :(

On reflection, I am not at all bashful or regretful of paying $1.60 for the photo posted above (1/12 of the cost of film and processing).  I will do this all day long until the film is no longer available.

I just go into film :) 

Velvia or Provia costs around 13 euros in Germany and the development 22 Euros...whaaaa

I just filled up my stock with HP5 and Portra (which is expensive enough :)

• Like 2

A minor confession - While I truly like the M9 I bought long ago, I know in my heart that if I had kept to film my photographic experience would be more directed to my earlier style and vision. The style was making fewer pictures, looking longer, waiting during processing and introspective of the film's outcome.

• Like 4

Velvia or Provia costs around 13 euros in Germany and the development 22 Euros...whaaaa

I just filled up my stock with HP5 and Portra (which is expensive enough :))

With that costly workflow, slide film is indeed on its way out...

A minor confession - While I truly like the M9 I bought long ago, I know in my heart that if I had kept to film my photographic experience would be more directed to my earlier style and vision. The style was making fewer pictures, looking longer, waiting during processing and introspective of the film's outcome.

I found that I shoot about the same amount with a digital M as a film M, maintaining my selective shooting approach.  But I now make more 'work prints' digitally, from which I still take time to ponder.  In the darkroom days, I was more inclined to stick with contact sheets, given the time and effort to make larger work prints.  I also can 'rescue' more prints now than I did in the darkroom....due to the technology now, and my darkroom skill limitations.

The temptation I have to fight now is making more 'fine' prints (for matting and framing), and to be sure my standards remain extremely high.  This is due not only to the speed and convenience of digital editing and printing, but has been exacerbated ever since I purchased a wall mounted Speed-Mat mat cutter, making matting, and double matting, a breeze.

In a nutshell, I find the back end of a digital workflow much more influential in my overall camera to print workflow....and results...than the camera itself.

Jeff

• Like 3

Maco sells Precisa for 7 EUR (a great film) and 3x Velvia 100F (expired but that won't matter) for 30 EUR (135 format) and new for 11.50 apiece.

Precisa can be bought, last time I checked, at both Müller and DM drugstores (as can APX b&w film, I believe) but it costs more than online. But, yes, slides are more costly than other formats. Still, there's nothing like it.

As for development, Maco also sells that - Gutscheine through another company, 7,50 EUR each. Still quite a bit but a lot better than 22 EUR (which is insane).

And perhaps chains like Müller offer development? Here in NL there are at least two chains (Hema and Kruidvat) which offer very inexpensive development (3,50 EUR per roll) of both C41 and E6.

I just filled up my stock with HP5 and Portra (which is expensive enough :)