Shooting Milky Way with S007

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Not necessarily Neil. The Leica T is the same, but you can do it.

What's the longest shutter time? Possibly it is 30 secs, if so, use that. Try some higher ISO's, and see. Start with ISO 400 or so, try higher, looking for "noise".

Depends where you are too, as light pollution will make longer times less viable.

Without knowing any more than what your original post stated, I'd suggest trying a wide lens, (not the S30 though by the look of one of your recent posts, sorry :D ).  Your widest if possible. Use max aperture, but also try a few slightly stopped down (looking for coma in the stars, some lenses do, some are better). Use the longest speed you can, bearing in mind the length of time the shutter is open will determine the star shapes. If the lens is wide, and the time is short then the stars should be pin-points. If however you expose for say 2 mins (just an example) and the camera/lens is fixed to a tripod, then the stars will likely "trail", they will "move" during the exposure.

Two fixes. Either move the camera and lens to "track" the stars movement, or shoot a shorter speed (30 secs, even less). Wider/shorter focal length lens helps, for obvious reasons. Given you have asked this, tracking doesn't sound like an option. If you come out this way I can show you a tracking mount.

One thing to finish. Get out there and try it, with the S "film is cheap", and you can see instantly if the exposure worked or not. If you end up with a myriad of shots, all short exposures, you can then stack them to give a picture that for all intents and purposes looks like it has been one long single exposure, but that's another lesson.

Gary

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Gary

In bulb mode the max I could get was 8 seconds and when I bumped up the ISO to 800 all I got was 2 seconds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Gary

In bulb mode the max I could get was 8 seconds and when I bumped up the ISO to 800 all I got was 2 seconds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got me beat Neil, sorry, I'm out of my depth with your camera.

Take a peek at that link Jeff posted.

Gary

This is how it works on the S2 and S006 S007 should be similair, just enter the Bulb mode first with the wheel on the topplate. 

As you can see the 90 and 125 seconds are greyed out because I'm at ISO 200. at ISO 400 the maximum is 32 seconds at ISO 800 16 seconds etcetera. 

bulbleicas006.gif

Edited by jip
  • Like 2

That's why then as I was at ISO 1600

Since the noise platform is linear with the S I believe it is as follows:

You get the same noise on a ISO 1600 8 sec shot as you would on a ISO 100 125 sec exposure.

The difference is however that you won't get star trails at ISO 1600 while you might on ISO 100 125 sec exposure, on most wide angle lenses 30 seconds is enough to show star trails.

I believe that to successfully shoot the milkyway we would need:

F/2 lens with ISO 1600 and 30 seconds

This is not possible with the Leica S since at ISO 1600 we can only expose for 8 seconds and most lenses are slower than F2, I think this proofs that the Leica S system cameras are not useful for photographing the milkyway, sad to say ;(

Maybe the S (Typ 008) will have an ISO range high enough with long exposures that we can capture the milkyway. Or we need a faster lens!

We could try of course:

Shoot wide open with a summarit lens at F2,5 at ISO 1600 and an 8 second exposure, we can then push the file in post 2.66 stops. This should get the same results as an ISO 3200 15 sec exposure at F2. The question is will the file still be usable, because pushing an ISO 1600 image nearly 3 stops means we are pushing the image from ISO 1600 to ISO 12800 we can of course do selective pushing of the light we did capture and try to leave the shadows alone, to minimise noise in the 'black' of the image.

I might try it sometime soon, but the widest lens I have is a 1:2,8/45mm and for these star/milkyway shots the wider the better I think. I might borrow the 30mm again from Leica and try it out. If I do I'll report back on the forum.

Edited by jip

Jip

I will try it again with my Nikon 24 1.4 and Nikon D5. I'm sure that combination will get it or even my 14/24 f2.8

Yes that combination is more than adequate enough for milkyway shots.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

As I wrote, 125 sec at base ISO....assumed you knew that limits are restricted at higher ISO levels.

Maybe RTTM.

Jeff

i think there should be a F in there somewhere Jeff:)