Trying a Jupiter-8

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I ordered this lens a few weeks ago after seeing a thread of images taken using these lenses on another forum. I love the look they give, especially on colour film, it should complement my Summar nicely.

I was given the Sekonic light meter by a friend, it was new in box, it's handy to have on the camera but I'm thinking it may be a little bulky, I'll see how everything works when I run a test film through it.

Now I just need to find a shutter button surround.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

DAG likely has a ring for the shutter button.

I use the Voigtlander VC II meter on my III. Tiny, matching finish, modern accuracy.

That's a nice little meter. I do like this Sekonic though, I've been using it on an Olympus Pen S for a while. It's not quite as bulky as the photo makes it seem, the high angle doesn't do scale any favours.

I've heard that some of those little rings used for bicycle valves may fit, though if that is true it may be sacrilegious to do so.

You may have noticed, but I'm not exactly a stickler for originality. :)

Actually I am looking for the real thing, DAG has Canon ones that will fit but no early Leica ones at the moment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You may have noticed, but I'm not exactly a stickler for originality. :)

Actually I am looking for the real thing, DAG has Canon ones that will fit but no early Leica ones at the moment.

You wrote, "Now I just need to find a shutter button surround." but you aren't a stickler.

Are you waiting for the ring before trying the Jupiter? There is a good chance that it

will not focus properly.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You wrote, "Now I just need to find a shutter button surround." but you aren't a stickler.

Are you waiting for the ring before trying the Jupiter? There is a good chance that it

will not focus properly.

I'm actually going out Sunday to try it out, replicas of the Nina and Pinta are docked not far from me at the moment and I intend taking several cameras out to test them and grab some interesting images.

I read about the focus issues extensively before buying the Jupiter, it seems that typically the J-8 will focus OK on a Barnack, some won't, but the majority do work. If it doesn't it'll just go back on eBay and I'll try something different.

I'm actually going out Sunday to try it out, replicas of the Nina and Pinta are docked not far from me at the moment and I intend taking several cameras out to test them and grab some interesting images

They were almost in our backyard this Summer.

When you return, tell me if you think they are really scaled-down replicas.

http://www.digoliardi.net/pinta.jpg

I'm pretty sure the ones that are here are full size replicas, they've done some Atlantic crossings so I doubt they are scaled down.

Okay. The ships are so tiny! My mind boggles. :) Those sailors had guts, determination, or

craziness, maybe all three!

Edited by pico

They were almost in our backyard this Summer.

When you return, tell me if you think they are really scaled-down replicas.

http://www.digoliardi.net/pinta.jpg

The Niña is a full size replica, 65 feet long. The Pinta, at 85 feet long is 20% larger that the original.Going on board these ships I cannot imagine making a transatlantic voyage in the,

Here's a digital photo, the film ones are currently drying, I'll scan a couple tomorrow.

Thanks, Mike, especially for the information. That's the same pair.

Next I look forward to another visit by the American Queen and the others.

(My mate, Molly, just rattled off the names of the many other paddlewheedlers,

but I could not keep up.) :)

http://umdalumni.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/american-queen.jpg

Edited by pico

The American Queen is currently in Memphis on a Southbound tour, I missed her when she passed through St. Louis.

The picture above was taken from the deck of the Mark Twain paddle boat, we took an impromptu short cruise after we'd toured the Columbus boats.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally I have my scans, I wasn't happy with the images I was getting so I bought a new scanner. Here are two images taken with the Jupiter-8, Ilford FP4.

I love the way they look, soft but detailed. It is obvious the lens focuses well on my IIIa.

• Like 1

The M240 is great for checking old lens rangefinder compatibility using the RF against the EVF. For example, there are a lot of stories about the 40mm Summicron C not focusing correctly on M's, as opposed to CL cameras. I checked mine very carefully at all sorts of distances, after it came back from its rebuild, clean and "tune up" by Malcolm Taylor. The story is a myth certainly for the M240, as its focus was spot on at all distances. However I believe there may be a problem on the M5 only due to the positioning of the RF cam. 

Wilson

PS I will certainly be checking the focus on the Canon 5cm f1,8 LTM I have bought for my Reid III, if French customs at Paris Airport ever get round to clearing it. It has been sitting there for 6 days now. 

Edited by wlaidlaw

I see that lens advertised as the "Japanese Summicron", I'll be interested in what you think of it, when you finally get it!

Mike,

As a second hand buy, the Canon 5cm/f1.8 makes far more sense. An excellent example is less than half the price of the cheapest collapsible Summicron and a quarter of the cheapest rigid Summicron. All the Summicrons I have seem, look like someone has been attacking the front element with a pot scourer. The Canons must have either been better looked after or have a harder coating, as most of them seem to have only the most minor cleaning marks. Strangely the more expensive when new, Summarit f1.5 lenses, are now cheaper than the rigid Summicrons. From what I have been reading, the earlier version of the Canon with the chrome barrel and infinity lock, last better than the later black barrel models, which tend to suffer from fogging of the second from the rear element. 

This is the one I have bought for just £135

Wilson

• Like 1