Tasty- 28mm Elmarit ASPH

Manoleica

Advertisement (gone after registration)

28mm Elmarit ASPH arrived today, unpacked with all due reverence, what a sweet beauty- held it and drooled for a few minutes then uncoupled the 35 Summicron ASPH & connected the 28.. Just gotta love this Leica gear.. (Fits nicely on my M-P240 Safari) ~~ B I g B I g S m I l e...

• Like 5

Coincidentally I have a 35 Sumicron ASPH and I'm considering purchase of the 28 Elmarit for street photography. Looking at pictures of the lens, DoF looks phenominal at mid aperture, everything will be in focus and it was the choice of Gary Winogrand who mixed it really close on the street.

I had actually decided no more camera stuff or cars this year, woke up the other morning with "why not a 28mm" damn GAS' so be it..

Yes it looks sweet and this Wednesday sees it earning it's keep..wifey had a touch of motoring GAS" chose a 2017 Hyundai Elantra Limited, what a happy soul she is..'(^_^)' L

Edited by Manoleica

Well, the Safari Set + Elmarit =

Safari Set + Elmarit = (H o w M u c h) -

My Leica stuff will still be around in 2050. I'm thinking of adding a film M just to keep the bloodline running..

About the Elantra ask me in 2030! ... Take Care, L

Edited by Manoleica
  • Like 1

Coincidentally I have a 35 Sumicron ASPH and I'm considering purchase of the 28 Elmarit for street photography. Looking at pictures of the lens, DoF looks phenominal at mid aperture, everything will be in focus and it was the choice of Gary Winogrand who mixed it really close on the street.

Instead of a new lens to carry about, you might want to first try the RICOH GR. Steve Ricoh. The lens is exceptional and In-body B&W conversion, extraordinary. I've gotten into the habit of leaving a 50 on the M and a GR in-pocket. It's that small. Edited by james.liam
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Funny, while on a month long trip this summer, and shioting extensively (113 films total), I had a craving each and everyday for my 28mm elmarit asph that I left back home. Even though I had my 28 cron with me, I wanted to use the elmarit.

It is a sweet little thing that's for sure.

Thanks for posting about the Elmarit Asph, I'm seriously considering this lens instead of my 35/1.4 FLE. It's very small though - any risk that one accidentally gets a finger in the picture? It's a serious question. I have the 2,8cm Hektor which is even smaller but with that lens I need to be careful not to have a finger in the frame.

I'm wondering, though, if the M-P240 will be around and kicking in either 2030 or 2050. A film M certainly will.

My Leica stuff will still be around in 2050. I'm thinking of adding a film M just to keep the bloodline running..

About the Elantra ask me in 2030! ... Take Care, L

Nenad, I love the quote at the bottom of your posts.

Funny, while on a month long trip this summer, and shioting extensively (113 films total), I had a craving each and everyday for my 28mm elmarit asph that I left back home. Even though I had my 28 cron with me, I wanted to use the elmarit.

Thanks for posting about the Elmarit Asph, I'm seriously considering this lens instead of my 35/1.4 FLE. It's very small though - any risk that one accidentally gets a finger in the picture? It's a serious question. I have the 2,8cm Hektor which is even smaller but with that lens I need to be careful not to have a finger in the frame.

I'm wondering, though, if the M-P240 will be around and kicking in either 2030 or 2050. A film M certainly will.

Nenad, I love the quote at the bottom of your posts.

My signature? :D

About the size of the 28 elmarit asph: it is not that small, really. It's a bit bigger than the cron V4 35mm and about the same size as the 35 cron asph. At least it is as beefy.

The lens is being marketed as the smallest lens in the current lineup, but the current lineup is quite beefy so it's sinoly marketing talk. Nothing to do with the old lineups that were truly tiny (ala summicron 35mm V2 and V3, 35 lux pre-asph and and so on)

Edited by NB23

I've always loved this lens, but in a moment of madness sold my v1 for the 28 Summicron. Strangely, I never warmed to that lens, and now have the v2 Elmarit, which continues the tradition of its illustrious predecessor.

I found it spectacular on the SL, as well of course as Ms. And as others have said, it's so compact and light.

A real little jewel.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Could somebody post about the differences (improvements ?) with the lastest Elmarit 28mm over the previous model ?

So the 11677 vs 11606.

I'm thinking of getting a 28mm because my 21mm often really too wide for me, and I have no idea which to get. Most likely Elmarit, but which version ?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

@NB23,

That's an interesting turn of events - can you elaborate a bit on what was causing you to long for the Elmarit?

I too have a copy of the latest version of the 28 Elmarit (#11677) and am very pleased with it.  I used to have the previous version of the 28 Summicron (# 11604) and was well served by that lens.  If forced to choose between my current Elmarit and my long lost Summicron, I would stick with my Elmarit even though it is one stop slower; speed is not always the sine qua non of lens selection.

Edited by Carlos Danger