Anyone Leica M as their only camera today.

Nshah

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I haven't had only one camera (or camera line) for many many years. For me, even in period when I've used a Leica RF camera ten times as much as any other camera, the M always been an excellent complement to my other cameras—usually SLR, either 35mm or medium format—for when I wanted something smaller, lighter, simpler to carry. 

Nowadays, the Leica SL is my primary camera, and the M-D is the complement to it that I use about twice as often. 

You will always have restrictions in the shots you can take arising from your equipment, whatever you buy. 

This. I use an M (film, with a 21 and 35) for almost everything. Probably 99% of my shots.

I also have a Nikon FE with a 55/3.5 Mirco-Nikkor for macro. I use it for maybe 2 rolls/year, when I get the itch to do some still life shots. I can't stand it for anything else. For what I use it for I'd probably be able to get a visoflex with a 65 Elmar, but the Nikon kit was A$100. The Viso kit would cost more than A$500. (I still want the visoflex kit though just so I can get rid of the Nikon - but I can't justify it and it's confusing to wade through all the permutations of the visoflex system...)

M 240 since 2012 early. Before that MP. And before that Leica film M'S ALL the way back to 1972. Two lenses now: 28 Elamrit ASPH latest version, 50 Summilux ASPH. Can hardly wait to see what the new M later this year, I hope, will feature.

Guest sailfish

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I traded in my Leica D-Lux 6 G-Star Raw version this week and have ordered a new Leica M Typ 240 camera, which will be delivered next week. It will be the only camera I use and that suffices for the type of photography I do. I will be pairing my new Leica with a Summilux -M 35 MM f/1.4 ASPH 6-bit lens, also on the way.

I just joined this forum today and am looking forward to being a part of this community of like-minded photogs.

• Like 5

Suffering from heavy GAS I had a lot of cameras some DSLR, Sonys A7 and RX1, Olympus Em 5,... The only constant was a M. Since about 1-2 years I shoot only M. Yes there are moments where AF, longer focal length lenses etc. would be handy, but 80-90% of the time the M is just perfect and as I don't want to carry 2 cameras I figured going M only is the best solution for me. I shoot mainly Travel, Street, Landscape and a Portrait every now and then.

• Like 1

It really depends on what you want to shoot.  I also do a lot of insect photography and it would be bonkers to use the M for that, so I use a Canon with a proper macro lens.  Can't imagine using the M for sports photography either.  For me it is a 'human situation' camera.  It brings you into the action.  That's why it sings with a 35mm lens.  Of course you can use it for whatever you like, but that 'reportage' world is where the M is peerless, IMO.  Great for posed portrait work too, of course.

Anyway, being the world champion gold medallist in one sport doesn't necessarily qualify you to compete in a completely different domain...

• Like 2

95% M240 - full range of lens collected over decades, tho mostly Summi 50.  Viso3 for macro

The rest is 5DM3 (so seldom my DSLR skills are eroding), SonyRXiii (hiking, family video etc), Canon A95 (lives in the car glove box for 'just in case')

If there's significant improvement, will upgrade to the next M, used, about 2 yrs into its life cycle as I did with no regret with M9P > 240

As for now tho, very happy with 240, but wouldn't mind 2+ ISO stops, could open some possibilities.  LV more useful than I thought - best using rear screen & tripod.  EVF awkward, a bit too Franken-camera for me.  Magnifying diopter better.

• Like 1

40% Canon 5D Mk III and 60% M240 w/50mm Cron ASPH.  At first I really sucked with my M240 focusing skills but over the course of 3 months I've have become good enough where I really enjoy taking pictures w/my 240.  Only use my 5D for sports work these days.  

Well, bought my first M in 1970, a M4 and shot almost exclusively B&W film, with complementary medium format when required.

Added 4x5 20 years ago to still primarily B&W shooting. During that time SLR's were also used, today they are gone.

With the advent of M digital bodies shooting film shooting keeps dropping, until today I shoot almost exclusively M240 and MM V1 while still owning the M4.

The MM V1 is a very real comparison to shooting film years ago, I love my MM :D

Have cut back to only 2 4x5 lenses, and 3 Hasselblad lenses for medium format, and only use these systems when there is a need for either format.

Virtually everything I shoot today is digital on the Leica's.......interesting the way things have changed over time.

So I have an iphone, an Olympus e-em1, a Leica T, and a M-P.

I never bonded with the Olympus and never liked the images that I got with it but I kept it as the weather resistant and capability camera when I got the LeIca T. In retrospect, I should have sold it even though there is still no macro lens for the T and the telephoto lens was not yet out. I've lent it to a couple of people but I've only used it a couple of times.

The T was the gateway for me. I bought it because I hated the Olympus and it was good enough and I liked it.

I bought the M on an impulse, as a kind of retail therapy when a girlfriend dumped me. It took me quite a while to get the hang of the M. It was like my second camera. Then I lent a friend the Leica T for a long family trip. It forced me to really get the hang of the M and use it in all situations. After that, after I really got the hang of the M. I haven't gone back to the T.

Yes with the M certain things are harder, certain things are nearly impossible but I basically use it for everything. It pushes me to be a better photographer to solve problems and figure out how to do things. I know that I'm not going to do wildlife or long distance sports photography. If I get into that, I'll probably buy the 90-280 SL lens and mount it on my T initially and then get the SL body someday. But I do occasional macro with the M. It's hard but I can do it. For everything else I'm good, I like small fast lenses. I went to Europe for a couple of months and all I took was the M and 3 lenses. Now that I'm back, when I had the opportunity to use the T again, instead I sent it to Leica to repair a cosmeticly damaged screen knowing that it will be gone for a couple of months and that i won't miss it. I know that I'm effectively admitting to being an asshole but when people say, "oh I would never use an M for ..." Whether it is weddings, kids, portraits, studio, ... Or "horses for courses" I mostly think "no you just need to be a better photographer" I will concede wildlife, sports, and underwater. I'm also somewhat empathetic toward people whose eyes are failing.

I'm hooked enough on the M that with this $750 trade in bonus I asked my local store if I traded in my T and 3 lenses how close could I get on a monochrom? It wasn't close enough. So I'll keep the T and figure out what to do with it. Maybe I'll sell it, I don't know this doesn't see, to be the right time.

For me it is all about sufficiency, the M-P 240 is a good enough camera I don't need anything else. Everything beyond that is about me being a better photographer, about me about me figuring out how to get the shot, about going places and seeing things. I can see how people can hang onto a camera like the M9 long after the next model has been upgraded. Sorry Leica, I don't expect to get the next M when it comes out.

• Like 2

My M-P 240 is really my only camera. My wife has a V-Lux 20 which has its uses if I need it (eBay photos). Other than that my smartphone has an acceptable point and shoot facility.

The M 240 is a fantastic camera that requires skill to operate it successfully. I love MF and the ability to override the standard AF focal point without having to select areas in LV.

Personal opinion, you view may differ.

As a newbie, I have query. 

Is anyone using Leica M as their only camera,with no other camera at all? If yes,what is their experience. Have they sometimes felt the need to avail of the various technological features available on the other cameras.

As for those who are using the Leica M in conjunction with other cameras, do they think that they can go by only Leica M in all circumstances today?

I know from reading on the Web that Leicas are generally good for a particular type of photography and are not for all eventualities. I curious to know the experiences of the photographers who are using only a Leica.

I noticed a similar query about M9 in the year 2011 on the forum,but now in 2016 technology has moved much further.

N.Shah

It was 80% M, 18% Canon EOS, 2% Leica DMR, it is now 95% SL with M and R lens, 5% Canon (only for wild life).

I will only comme back to an M like camera to use with my M lenses if it include an EVF the quality of the SL's.

And I will consider to stop using the Canon EOS when there will be SL Apo-Extenders available.

I've used an M9 exclusively since 2009

Okay, and for two weeks per year a 100m waterproof diving camera, but that's quite specialized.

Sometimes I miss macro, but not so much I've bought a second camera. This issue is adressed with live view.

My photos and my technique have vastly improved for people, candids, street. Landscapes are the same game as with dSLR. Travel with three tiny lenses and a small body is a lot easy on the shoulder and the camera gets a lot less attention.

Go for it.