Threatening Letter from LFI

Edward Louis Marit

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Try again.  These are the facts from MY experience of getting LFI to stop sending their junk mail to ME.

Not to me. I got a polite mail informing my subscription was cancelled after mailing them. I guess it is a case of c'est le ton qui fait la musique.

What is so difficult about sending a friendly mail saying "Sorry, being English and unused to your system I forgot to cancel my subscription. Would you please do so now?"  The invoice should have been the trigger.

If they would be unfriendly enough to pursue their legal case they would win and you would be out of many hundreds of pounds for international debt collection. As said, in practice they don't.

....What is so difficult about sending a friendly mail saying "Sorry, being English and unused to your system I forgot to cancel my subscription. Would you please do so now?" ....

You make too many silly assumptions as usual.

The subscription was cancelled by me before the renewal date.  LFI were unable to comprehend the fact that I did not want to subscribe to their magazine and continued to send it.  A bit pointless on their part, it went the same way as all other junk mail does.

Yes- they had this problem with their subscription service a few years ago. The solution was simple - send them one formal letter cancelling and disregard everything else. Eventually the penny would drop and one would get a letter that they would stop sending the magazine for non-payment :D.

It is nothing like that nowadays. They are quite efficient.

Anyway, I fail to see why you would complain about being sent the magazine for free through their fault. If I were to be upset as you are by what you are pleased to call junk mail I would have had a heart attack decades ago. It has been calculated that my profession gets 1.5 kg of unsolicited mail a month.

BTW, Time  managed to send me their magazine for seven years after cancellation. So what?

Yes- they had this problem with their subscription service a few years ago. It is nothing like that nowadays.

Anyway, I fail to see why you would complain about being sent the magazine for free through their fault. If I were to be upset as you are by what you are pleased to call junk mail I would have had a heart attack decades ago. It has been calculated that my profession gets 1.5 kg of unsolicited mail a month.

Now that's something to chew on - '(^_^)'

• Like 1

Anyway, I fail to see why you would complain about being sent the magazine for free through their fault.......

Umm....because I didn't like the magazine, didn't want to subscribe to it and didn't want their invoice either. :)

Somehow, I'm not really surprised you are swamped by junk mail.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So  throw it in the paper bin, or try and be nice and give it to somebody who likes it. No need to get  knickers twisted.

Yep, it comes with the job, sorting genuine information from advertising. :)

Anyway, this has nothing to do with the OP. He simply didn't realize he had to cancel.

• Like 1

First Off, in these cases, I usually write direct to the CEO (Addressee Only) & requiring a Signature.

Secondly I'm glad I don't have to actually deal with some of those that Post, they seem to be a very unhappy bunch!!

Are you the LFI computer?

Errr.. They should provide their services for free?

Why not?

LFI writes almost exclusively about Leica, belongs to Leica and is controlled by Leica.
So why not distribute this well made advertising brochure to Leica customers to stay in a pleasant way in regular contact with their wealthy buyers?

Sorry, get your facts straight first. It does not belong to Leica, not economically nor journalistically, Leica has no say over the contents and as it is  Leica Fotografie International, why should it not be exclusively about Leica?

As for wealthy buyers, speak for yourself... :rolleyes:

Actually, quite some years ago Leica did have some control and one did get a free subscription with a purchase. However, those days are long, long past.

IIRC, Dr Kaufmann bought LFI a few years ago

Tell it to jaapv, please.
Maybe he should inform himself first of all better before attacking others for alleged uninformedness.

Are there any conceivable closer entanglements and dependencies between Leica and LFI, as if the majority shareholder of Leica also owns LFI? 

It is still listed as an  independent GmbH. It is quite conceivable, even likely, that ACM has a shareholding position, Michael could shed light on the journalistic freedom. That is not the same  thing as being an advertising sheet from Leica.

I don't think that it's very good customer service to threaten customers with legal action unless you are actually about to take that next step (being certain that you have a case to take action over) and accepting that you now have an ex customer.

Very odd way to go about a magazine subscription!

• Like 1

I found little in LFI of interest, so cancelled. Then they expanded their on-line scans of Leica Fotografie from the 1950s - 60s, and I found I could not buy them through the app unless I re-subscribed. So I subscribed on-line and payed by PayPal. Later I got an invoice asking me for payment. After an email giving them the PayPal transaction number they found my payment and apologized, but that shows some disconnects in their business practices between traditional paper and electronic.

I found little in LFI of interest, so cancelled. Then they expanded their on-line scans of Leica Fotografie from the 1950s - 60s, and I found I could not buy them through the app unless I re-subscribed. So I subscribed on-line and payed by PayPal. Later I got an invoice asking me for payment. After an email giving them the PayPal transaction number they found my payment and apologized, but that shows some disconnects in their business practices between traditional paper and electronic.

I quite agree that they managed to lose my interest as well, so I cancelled last year.