Info please on Summicron 35/2 and 50/2

asterinex

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For me these Leica lenses are a lot of money. The reason I buy them is because I know I can always sell them for the same price I bought them.

If I keep them in good condition! 

A lens cap is  a must. I have 3 kids and my camera is always swinging  around while running after the kids. Dangerous ! :)

The only thing dangerous for a lens element is something sharp, I don't think your kids run around with sharp objects do they? Finger prints are easily cleaned of, lens caps make you miss photos you should miss. :) 

Everyone has their own way of handling their cameras etc, but front lens caps... they only make you miss shots. If you want to protect the glass just get some UV/Protection filters instead. 

Remember me to never buy any lens from you :D

My lenses are all in pristine condition, if they get damaged I get them repaired. Photos not taken because of a lens cap cannot be repaired however. 

I use my lenses and cameras to make a living, and lens caps are useless in my opinion. Even a broken or cracked front element won't show on your images as much as you might think: http://petapixel.com/2015/07/02/how-much-does-a-scratch-affect-the-quality-of-a-lens/

I've shot a Leica S lens with a broken front element (Fell out of the Peli case) and couldn't see any problem at all on the images later, did get it repaired though, quite expensive! But a Lens cap wouldn't have saved my lens in that situation anyway... 

• Like 2

While I can see Jip's point, but am on the other side, I always use a cap.

If you are seriously worried about your lenses, and this is not a bad thing I am the same, make sure you have filters on them as well, especially for when the little pokey fingers get close.

Gary

jip, on 24 Aug 2016 - 21:08, said:

My lenses are all in pristine condition, if they get damaged I get them repaired. Photos not taken because of a lens cap cannot be repaired however. 

I use my lenses and cameras to make a living, and lens caps are useless in my opinion. Even a broken or cracked front element won't show on your images as much as you might think: http://petapixel.com/2015/07/02/how-much-does-a-scratch-affect-the-quality-of-a-lens/

I've shot a Leica S lens with a broken front element (Fell out of the Peli case) and couldn't see any problem at all on the images later, did get it repaired though, quite expensive! But a Lens cap wouldn't have saved my lens in that situation anyway... 

I know it very well, though a scratched-front element lens can not be classified as "pristine" and should not be paid as much.

By the way, I've never missed a shot because of the front cap.

• Like 1

I've always kept a lens cap on my lenses, except when I'm out shooting. In the early years yes, I occasionally missed a shot or two, until I developed the discipline of removing caps on location. In the beginning I also tried the UV filter, but always thought it was a royal pain in the rear; these days if I need a specific filter I put it on as needed. My main concern re the use of lens caps was potential damage in transport, not other stuff. Anyway, to each his own, as the topic has been debated to death for decades.

• Like 1