B&W jpegs from X vario

Musotographer

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've always been fairly happy with my DNG conversions to B&W from my M9 - but since getting my X Vario and seeing what the camera produces on its own I've realised how much better they could be. Has anyone managed to reproduce the 'recipe' for the look the X Vario produces, in either/or/both Lightroom/Silver Efex Pro?

My XV jpeg settings are: Film mode - B&W High Contrast; Sharpness - Medium High; Contrast - Standard. EV usually -0.3 or -0.7.

• 2 weeks later...

I've always been fairly happy with my DNG conversions to B&W from my M9 - but since getting my X Vario and seeing what the camera produces on its own I've realised how much better they could be. Has anyone managed to reproduce the 'recipe' for the look the X Vario produces, in either/or/both Lightroom/Silver Efex Pro?

My XV jpeg settings are: Film mode - B&W High Contrast; Sharpness - Medium High; Contrast - Standard. EV usually -0.3 or -0.7.

I can't speak for the X Vario but the X 113 which is really close in this regard.  I was just messing around with my settings for B&W Jpeg mode and doing a comparison to the XE-2 with Kit lens at 23mm and f3.2   I ended up with similar settings to what you have here.  However, when all was said and done, I used the DNG to come up with what worked better for me in getting shadow detail and still enough kick for my subject. It's a work in progress but I will likely go back to the Standard B&W and possibly boost contrast.  Although Jpeg engine is really good on the X 113, I will usually opt for DNG.

David

I can't speak for the X Vario but the X 113 which is really close in this regard.  I was just messing around with my settings for B&W Jpeg mode and doing a comparison to the XE-2 with Kit lens at 23mm and f3.2   I ended up with similar settings to what you have here.  However, when all was said and done, I used the DNG to come up with what worked better for me in getting shadow detail and still enough kick for my subject. It's a work in progress but I will likely go back to the Standard B&W and possibly boost contrast.  Although Jpeg engine is really good on the X 113, I will usually opt for DNG.

David

I have tried with the RAW files, but for many applications the out of Camera Jpegs are very good indeed. I use the jeg sharpening setting in the camera and that seems to create files that I really like the look of. 

Once such example here.

the-city-l1003222.jpg

• Like 2

For sure Mike, and your image here looks great! 

The Jpegs can work well but for me when the light is more challenging I tend to opt for the DNG. I also think that the in-camera sharpening works well compared to my XE 2 where you begin to see the artifacts of sharpening. Just a thought here but maybe having the "weak" AA filter on the Leica X cameras tames the edgy look I sometimes see in XE2 images when sharpening in Jpeg is employed. That look is probably also attributable to X-Trans because the Leica M cameras without AA filter seem to handle some sharpening.

For sure Mike, and your image here looks great! 

The Jpegs can work well but for me when the light is more challenging I tend to opt for the DNG. I also think that the in-camera sharpening works well compared to my XE 2 where you begin to see the artifacts of sharpening. Just a thought here but maybe having the "weak" AA filter on the Leica X cameras tames the edgy look I sometimes see in XE2 images when sharpening in Jpeg is employed. That look is probably also attributable to X-Trans because the Leica M cameras without AA filter seem to handle some sharpening.

It's interesting that often when I use a RAW fIle as the basis for a BW I often find the OOC jpeg is better than I can make in PP. As a result I have the camera set to produce BW jpegs and RAW color which lets me have the best of both worlds. I am amazed at the tonal range from this little baby. The picture I posted is a 3/4 crop, making the detail all the more lovely. 

With architecture in particular, this camera provides "that Leica look"