Do you use your S for professional/studio usage?

R3D-D0T

I do. Or rather, I will be, because I'm reasonably new to the S system and have a lowly S2 and three lenses. I also have a reasonably complete Pentax 645Z system as well.

The 645Z is really a personal camera, mostly for landscapes, although I'd have no issues using it in studio. The reason I got the S is because I like the *look* of medium format. The S lenses are spectacular. What I really wanted was a camera I could use in concert with my SL. I can use the S lenses on the SL and I can share flashes. I thought about a second SL body but since I would almost never need two bodies (a second would be a backup) that the S might be a better compliment to the SL, while I keep my A7R2 as my backup camera. I shoot mostly commercial and studio portraits as well as some architecture/real estate and a few weddings.

I'm in the middle of refreshing my studio space so the S hasn't had a lot of Professional use but I expect by Christmas it'll be getting regular use.

I do wish it had an EVF though.

Gordon

Edited by FlashGordonPhotography
  • Like 2

Guest chipcarterdc

Yes, I use mine professionally.

(In case the powers that be are listening: unlike the last poster, the day that S gets an EVF is the day I abandon the S system.)

• Like 2

Yes, I'm a pro user too. Not studio though.

Interior and exterior architecture, along with landscape architecture. I used the Hasselblad system for some years, and also used an M9, so when Leica came out with the S to H adapter I bought a used S2 and tried it out as a back up body. I found the S2 to be like a large M9 in terms of image quality, it performed easier in the hand than the H, was far more stable platform when working tethered than H, I preferred the color to H, and the improved lens/image quality, so I migrated. No regrets. I now use an S006.

In conjunction with various versions of LR the S2/S 006 have been reliable, solid tools that have never failed me. I do miss the superior (to me) color correction wheel in Phocus, but that's about it. But I found the moiré correction tool much better in LR CC than Phocus, but haven't compared them recently.

An increase to at least 50 mp (or more) would be desirable for a new S, and since I have an SL as well and find the EVF fine, I'd welcome a mirrorless version as well. 

Richard

Edited by rsmphoto
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes, I'm a pro user too. Not studio though.

Interior and exterior architecture, along with landscape architecture. I used the Hasselblad system for some years, and also used an M9, so when Leica came out with the S to H adapter I bought a used S2 and tried it out as a back up body. I found the S2 to be like a large M9 in terms of image quality, it performed easier in the hand than the H, was far more stable platform when working tethered than H, I preferred the color to H, and the improved lens/image quality, so I migrated. No regrets. I now use an S006.

In conjunction with various versions of LR the S2/S 006 have been reliable, solid tools that have never failed me. I do miss the superior (to me) color correction wheel in Phocus, but that's about it. But I found the moiré correction tool much better in LR CC than Phocus, but haven't compared them recently.

An increase to at least 50 mp (or more) would be desirable for a new S, and since I have an SL as well and find the EVF fine, I'd welcome a mirrorless version as well. 

Richard

Sounds like the new X1D may be a good option to consider?

Sounds like the new X1D may be a good option to consider?

Yes, it's most definitely on my radar, but I'm waiting to see if Leica will be heading that way as well since, with the development of the SL, they've taken a step in that direction already. One might logically think they've already been giving a MF SL-type version some consideration. It seems to me a very possible evolutionary step. Time will tell.

Yes, I used my S2 professionally in the studio to shoot paintings and sculptures before I retired. Now I just use it for landscapes, flowers and the occasional portrait. I've been hanging on to it because once in a while I get a call from an old client who needs something shot on location. I really should sell it though as it spends most of its time in a camera bag. It is a shame not to use such a fine camera more often but I usually reach for my Monochrom due to its size. However, the S2 IQ is far superior.

MF SL would basically require new lenses ... again.

At some point it does seem to get a bit difficult with so many camera lines.

SL / T Mount - S Mount - M Mount + all the fixed-lens options. It just seem like there is too much already. 

4 current APS-C Models, 8 current FF Models (aside from SL and Q the M Models are relatively similar..) and 2 current MF Models 

Three different Mounts with 4 kinds of lenses and a whole bunch of adapters is pretty confusing.

It's nice to have toys    and options, but damn...

So you're saying using S lenses wouldn't be an option? Seems the X1D can take H lenses via an adapter, why wouldn't a MF mirrorless Leica do the same? Am I missing something?

No a Mirrorless S would be able to use S Lenses via Adapter, the Adapter would be relatively big though, because you have to gap the mirror.

That's the Problem with Mirrorless lenses adapting DSLR Lenses, the size benefit is negated.

So if they were going to release a mirrorless S they would certainly release it with a few lenses, similar to what Hasselblad is doing.

I think the best option for Leica would just be introducing an updated S007 / 008 with higher res Sensor which could be exchanged/ upgraded in the 007. 

• Like 1