Buy M240 M-P or M262? [merged thread]

marsbars

I'm pretty much in the same position, but between an M-P and 262. If the 262 had 2 GB of memory, I'd go for it in a snap, but hesitating on an M-P. Kind of a shame really. I'd just like a 262, but with 2 GB of memory.

Edited by bobbywise

I vote for the 240 because I find carrying a single EVF for wide and long lenses preferable to the add-on optical finders you'll need for the 262. Also live view allows:

- live histogram

- accurate framing

- artificial horizon (spirit level)

- right angle viewfinder (with the evf). useful on a tripod

- use of adapted and macro lenses.

Gordon

Edited by FlashGordonPhotography
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm pretty much in the same position, but between an M-P and 262. If the 262 had 2 GB of memory, I'd go for it in a snap, but hesitating on an M-P. Kind of a shame really. I'd just like a 262, but with 2 GB of memory.

It depends on your shooting style, but after three years+ I still have to hit the buffer on the 240...

• Like 5

I vote for the 240 because I find carrying a single EVF for wide and long lenses preferable to the add-on optical finders you'll need for the 262. Also live view allows:

- live histogram

- accurate framing

Gordon

I recently picked up an M-P and found this is an unexpected bonus - the EVF is a wonderful option, especially for my 75 and 90. It's handy with my 21, too. I managed to find a good deal on a lightly used EVF-2 else I would have gotten the Olympus version to save a few bucks.

• Like 1

The M262 is a very easy to use camera. If you don't really need liveview or EVF, you can have the satisfaction of opening the beautiful Leica box it comes in for the very first time.

I don't think you can make a wrong choice in this case. Both are good camera's. I bought the 262 because in my mind it was the one that came close to my M6 in the way it operates. That was before the M-D came out, allthough i think if i had the choice i would still buy the 262 today.

• Like 1

- live histogram

- accurate framing

Gordon

+1.  Honestly had the M262 predated the M240 I probably would have bought it rather than the 240, but now that I've had time with the EVF I find the same conveniences as you.  Also, if money counts, a used M240 ought to cost quite a bit less than a new M262.  I would suggest a demo or certified pre-owned, to get a warranty, and to have bought from an official Leica dealer.  

The M262 is a very easy to use camera. If you don't really need liveview or EVF, you can have the satisfaction of opening the beautiful Leica box it comes in for the very first time.

I don't think you can make a wrong choice in this case. Both are good camera's. I bought the 262 because in my mind it was the one that came close to my M6 in the way it operates. That was before the M-D came out, allthough i think if i had the choice i would still buy the 262 today.

I still think the ultimate would have been an M-D with the EVF port for live view on demand...

• Like 1

I've had the M-P typ 240 since January 2015. It revitalized my interest in Leica M cameras. 

I bought the M-D typ 262 about six weeks ago. It is, to me, the perfect digital M camera: the bare essentials, the same way my M4-2 is the perfect film M camera for me. The M-D gives me exactly what I'd wanted in a digital M since the first rumors of a digital M surfaced about 2004. Anything I find inappropriate to do with the M-D is better done with the SL. 

• Like 2

"Anything I find inappropriate to do with the M-D is better done with the SL. "

Sure, that is the best possible option. Of course another brand of DSLR's can give you the same benefit.

M Leica's are not intented to be the Swiss army knife of photography, they work best with lenses between 28 and 90 mm. Anything longer, shorter or more specialized (tilt/shift, macro) is better done with another camera. But if you only want one camera, the 240 gives you some options.

"Anything I find inappropriate to do with the M-D is better done with the SL. "

Sure, that is the best possible option. Of course another brand of DSLR's can give you the same benefit.

M Leica's are not intented to be the Swiss army knife of photography, they work best with lenses between 28 and 90 mm. Anything longer, shorter or more specialized (tilt/shift, macro) is better done with another camera. But if you only want one camera, the 240 gives you some options.

The advantage of going with the SL, in this context, over "another brand of DSLR" is that I can leverage my Leica M lenses on the SL as well, if I want to.  :)

Edited by ramarren

I struggled with the same question but I asked myself: as an owner of a number of other great digital cameras, why am I buying a Leica? The answer was to get back to the basics, to stop being so dependent on the EVF and all the other modern features, to get me just a little closer to the magic I felt as a 15 year old kid I when I first picked up a film camera. Having the EVF is certainly a nice feature but it is just too easy for me to fall back onto using it. I bought the 262 and I have no regrets at all. 

• Like 1

I struggled with the same question but I asked myself: as an owner of a number of other great digital cameras, why am I buying a Leica? The answer was to get back to the basics, to stop being so dependent on the EVF and all the other modern features, to get me just a little closer to the magic I felt as a 15 year old kid I when I first picked up a film camera. Having the EVF is certainly a nice feature but it is just too easy for me to fall back onto using it. I bought the 262 and I have no regrets at all. 

Not questioning your choice....we each have preferences....but the EVF is not a built in feature of the M240; it's a separately purchased add-on, just as the Visoflex was an add-on option for film based Ms.  We've always had choices; in this case only the implementation has changed.

I use the M240 as a traditional RF M camera.  But I do find LV useful for occasionally checking camera/lens focus calibration, a common issue in the digital M world.  Otherwise, it's turned off.

Good that Leica has provided modern day choices.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

M (type 240) or M(type 262) ?

Some months ago, I would have said M(type 262), as my questionning in this thread, "would you swap 240 for 262 ?" :

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/257204-would-you-swap-mtype-240-for-mtype-262/

Now that I do own and use both for some months, I can say that M(type 240) is a better (more logical ...) choice.

But M (type 262) has something special that retain me to sell it.

I use M 262 more than M 240, because it's closer to film's use: lighter, less menu, direct WB, "prettier" to look at, so nothing to "die for".

Regards,

Arnaud

Edited by a.noctilux