Plustek 6x6 negative carrier

EoinC

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks, Gary.

Yes, they are expensive, at least in comparison with their 135 counterparts, but probably have considerably lower turnover, given that they are really only of interest to those using 120, and many of them (like yourself) use flatbed options to produce great results.

What the World needs is more people shooting more MF film, but then the prices of cameras would go up, and my GAS bubble would get deflated...

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Mines started playing up to mate.............stuck, making funny noises and the files when I scan with Vuescan are like 1.3 GB so I cut the setting from 5xxx to 25xx and there still 257MD each...........something f@cked up :( :( 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Mine was a bit past that, Neil. The transporter is jammed down the back (It accepts and ejects carriers quite happily). I finally got a human at Plustek in Taiwan, and it's on its way back over there now.

The spacing issue is a Hasselblad one. One of my A12 backs is all over the place with its spacing, while another is fairly regular.

Eoin

I jus picked up 15 rolls of developed 120 color film from Bang Bang, brought it home plugged it the scanned and it just makes a whining noise like what you mentioned................I am so so pissed off with this frigging scanner, I just drove from Phuket to KL and all the way I was thinking about getting some scans done before I head back to work.

Please can you give me a contact at PlusTek as I guess I will need to send mine back too

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Okay I think I know what the problem is.

I continued last night late into this morning trying to get the plustek to work...........I just got the same as Eoin (constant whining noise).

This morning I tried again and got the same sh!t.

I then reinstalled SilverFast and while the scanner was screaming I opened SilverFast and after about 5 minutes of performing a update to the Silverfast software I started the scanning process by hitting batch scan......and bobs your uncle I am now on leave # 3 without any whining and with scans to work on :) :) ;) 

I am very concerned to learn this because I am looking for my first MF and LF scanner. I an now riveted to this topic.

Over the years I have noticed how some of my MF cameras do not space correctly between frames, but not enough to hurt projection printing which is manually controlled, but certainly enough to stymie automated assumptions which a scanner might presume.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Pico

I have just downloaded the latest Vuescan software and will try it after I have finished scanning all my negs with Silverfast first just incase I screw up the scanner..............stay posted

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just to update on my side:

I got a poor response from the Plustek online support ("no-reply" type e-mail suggestions), until I pushed that i wanted to be dealing with a human with a name.

I then received a good response from their Taiwan HQ, and arranged to send the unit over there. They performed the repair FOC, with me paying for shipping.

I have now received it back...and it doesn't work:

It accepts the film holders, engages, and then goes into a dormant state. Scanning software (both Vuescan and Silverfast) sits spinning its wheels (although it does recognise the scanner).

Hitting the 'Eject' button does the opposite of what it's meant to - It engages and drives the film holder in further. Hitting it again (sometimes) pushes it to do a scan, but the holder doesn't move. The 'scan' come back as a bunch of noise.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

If all of this had happened at the beginning, I would have been pissed off, but would have returned it to B&H. The fact that it did work flawlessly, and has since cost me another $500 in shipping, makes me right-royally pissed off.

I have just sent an e-mail to Plustek, expressing my demure sense of disappointment, and asking that they find out exactly what it is that their technical team found was wrong, what they did to repair it, and what they did to test the repair.

It's like having an AF S-lens...

• Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Just to update on my side:

I got a poor response from the Plustek online support ("no-reply" type e-mail suggestions), until I pushed that i wanted to be dealing with a human with a name.

I then received a good response from their Taiwan HQ, and arranged to send the unit over there. They performed the repair FOC, with me paying for shipping.

I have now received it back...and it doesn't work:

It accepts the film holders, engages, and then goes into a dormant state. Scanning software (both Vuescan and Silverfast) sits spinning its wheels (although it does recognise the scanner).

Hitting the 'Eject' button does the opposite of what it's meant to - It engages and drives the film holder in further. Hitting it again (sometimes) pushes it to do a scan, but the holder doesn't move. The 'scan' come back as a bunch of noise.

attachicon.gifUntitled.jpg

If all of this had happened at the beginning, I would have been pissed off, but would have returned it to B&H. The fact that it did work flawlessly, and has since cost me another $500 in shipping, makes me right-royally pissed off.

I have just sent an e-mail to Plustek, expressing my demure sense of disappointment, and asking that they find out exactly what it is that their technical team found was wrong, what they did to repair it, and what they did to test the repair.

It's like having an AF S-lens...

Nightmare mate

There is a Toyota advert that Eoin might know, the punch line is "bugger", suits this case to a tee.

Pico, I have a Plustek 8100, a cheap and not too nasty 35mm only scanner, works like a charm, costs little if it goes pear-shaped. or me it works brilliantly.

I have shot M/F since the 60's, and also a bit of 4x5. More recently, I reacquainted myself with M/F, in the shape of a used SWC, and for a while "scanned" with a Leica BEOON. It was laborious, but worked. Then I found a decent deal on a used and old Epson 4870 flatbed scanner.

A breath of fresh air, scanning is almost fun, well OK, NOT fun, but not the chore I thought it would be.

If you have L/F as well as M/F, then you are going to need a flatbed, so try an Epson before committing to the quagmire that Neil and Eoin are seemingly walking in at the moment. I'd always lusted over a Plustek M/F scanner, but at the price they have always been out of reach, now I am not so unhappy about this.

Gary

• Like 1

There is a Toyota advert that Eoin might know, the punch line is "bugger", suits this case to a tee.

Pico, I have a Plustek 8100, a cheap and not too nasty 35mm only scanner, works like a charm, costs little if it goes pear-shaped. or me it works brilliantly.

I have shot M/F since the 60's, and also a bit of 4x5. More recently, I reacquainted myself with M/F, in the shape of a used SWC, and for a while "scanned" with a Leica BEOON. It was laborious, but worked. Then I found a decent deal on a used and old Epson 4870 flatbed scanner.

A breath of fresh air, scanning is almost fun, well OK, NOT fun, but not the chore I thought it would be.

If you have L/F as well as M/F, then you are going to need a flatbed, so try an Epson before committing to the quagmire that Neil and Eoin are seemingly walking in at the moment. I'd always lusted over a Plustek M/F scanner, but at the price they have always been out of reach, now I am not so unhappy about this.

Gary

I second this, Pico. The OpticFilm 120 is an excellent scanner...when it works. There is something wrong, which could be big, or could be small, but remains unresolved, despite a round trip back to Taiwan. For a reliable solution, plus the ability to scan your LF sheet films, the Epson may be a better path, especially if combined with one of the Plustek 35mm scanners, which appear to be more reliable (as well as significantly cheaper).

I'm intending continuing with the OpticFilm 120 saga, until I reach a stage of solution, or have put the family into the poorhouse.

• Like 1

Using the Epson V850 scanner I have never seen issues with the frame spacing from the scanner, from my backs most certainly. That is using the bog standard Epson software I really can't be bothered to learn another piece of sophisticated software to manipulate digital stuff even before I get to the output software. Also +1 more on the 35mm Plustek 8100 no complaints there except it spoils the coffee drinking having to push the carrier in all the time, such good value, if it breaks who cares and the widespread threads on their 120 scanner would never tempt me to take what seems to be a chance on it A, working at all, B, working to spec. I think I would go Imacon/Hasselblad but the quality gain is like high end HiFi, much cash for incremental improvement but if you see/hear the difference personally it's your choice.

Just a touch OT, I have always lusted after a Revox tuner they were £1,000 in the 80s and according to "Gramophone" untouchable. All the BBC output on VHF is now routed digitally to the transmitters so the analogue signal isn't ( I hope you are seeing the connection to film/digital by now) and low and behold with clapped out capacitors and needing realignment they are still £500 ish I had hoped for the 120 camera price crash although Hasselblad seem to be having a resurgence, again, this time it's "hip" or whatever the current buzzword is, to shoot one, the older the better and what is it about Rolleiflex prices as well do we blame that American nanny, was she the first "brand ambassador" or was that HCB ? !!

Edited by chris_livsey
  • Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Okay so heres the scoop on the Plustek Opium 120 Scanner using SilverFast and Vuescan soft wear.

First of all I have just finished scanning 15 rolls of Ektra at an average speed of 4 1/2 minutes for 3 files. I then scanned 3 files with the Vuescan softwear (I have no idea why now the vuescan works) but to scan 3 files of the same size 300 dpi it took 7 minutes and 55 seconds so nearly twice as long.

The first file is from the Silverfast software 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Below is the file from the Vuescan software 

As you can see the Silverfast files are more saturated, but to me they both look fine. I have not looked at them closely yet though.

I'd be happy to use either Vuescan or Silverfast, except that the 120 currently won't scan anything more than its own navel. It's a long time since I've been this disappointed in quality piece of kit.

Hopefully Plustek will come up with a solution that doesn't include another $500 round trip for 2/10 of bugger all.

• Like 1

As a tiny update, Plustek responded quickly and positively to my e-mail. They are checking with their technical team regards the repair, and also doing a Teamviewer check of my software and drivers.

I remain hopeful that the cause of the problems is a jumbling of the "0's" and "1's", rather than something physically fried.

Thanks, Gary. I'm heading up to Chiangmai later this week to attend a wedding (and pick up a little present from Japan), so probably won't be looking to do any scanning until next week, but am hoping that the problem is resolvable between now and then.

The SA will be going on its first OE with me...

• Like 1

:) I will continue to print, then scan the prints. I'm the first to admit that it is not an optimal procedure in terms of resolution. I'm too financially conservative to spend money on a negative scanner at this time. Maybe next year, if there is a next year.

You all are marvelous, generous in your information.This forum is a precious resource.

Thank you!

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

Thank you, Pico. At this stage, I really like the OpticFilm 120, and Plustek have been very responsive and helpful (at least once past the 'on-line support' cycle). I am very much hoping that they can resolve my issues remotely, as I could probably fly to Taiwan cheaper than sending the scanner.

As you include LF, I still think Gary's Epson suggestion is probably more practical, perhaps combined with one of the 35mm Plustek scanners, which seem very robust, and produce good results.

My choice of the 120 is that it would be marital suicide for me to venture into LF, and I exist happily in a 135 / 120 bubble, which it suits nicely (when it works).

• Like 1

Another update - After 2 days of intervention via Teamviewer, we've got to where the scanner makes noises, the 'eject' button does the reverse of what it says on the label, and I've managed to get a 'scan' which came out blank.

Tomorrow's another day...

Update #569...

Plustek tried very hard to get me up and running remotely, but the unit has apparently been damaged since testing in Taiwan. Plustek are paying for return shipment to repair again FOC.

Throughout this journey (which has not yet ended), Plustek in Taiwan have been excellent to deal with. In addition to hoping that I get a working scanner, I hope that they are successful in this niche market.

• Like 2